Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-15, 11:25 AM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I wonder if the reason she never goes heavier than 15 lbs. is because they don't have enough 20, 25, or 30 lb. dumbbells for everyone in the class? When I went on Cathe Road Trips a few years ago, they had a limited supply in the back of the gym. Just a thought...

I see where they filmed a nutrition segment for Cathe On Demand. Since I only subscribe to Cathe Live, I probably won't be able to view it. But I thought that she was supposed to film some "one on one" workouts for Cathe Live?

Kathy
I did not think about the limited supply of heavier dumbbells issue. Maybe she could film some one on one segments in which she utilized heavier weights. I too thought that she said that she was going to film special segments.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-15, 12:28 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
Many of the workouts (at least the ones that I have done thus far) seem to be more endurance based than real strength based. Of course I can use heavier weights but then the rest periods between sets are not long enough or non existent for true strength lifting.
I am pretty sure she sticks to lighter weights because they don't have heavier dumbbells for the entire class. She has done a couple workouts with the barbell where she goes heavier, and her 2nd to last leg workout was pretty heavy.

I usually go heavier than her and just slow down the reps a bit. It still is mostly endurance based, because not much rest, but it does at least let me lift heavier.

One on Ones would be perfect for heavier lifting, but it kind of seems like they have abandoned that idea. It is a classic case of Cathe and company over-promising. The Live subscription is a fantastic value without the one-on-ones, but they already told us it was in the works a year ago. So now we are disappointed we don't have any. Instead they shouldn't just mention anything until it is a done deal. (Just like they should say her pre-orders will probably be delivered in the Winter, instead of the Fall. They always have such high expectations for themselves. That is great for a business, but they shouldn't promise things until they are sure it will be a reality.)
Old 04-23-15, 03:55 PM  
pfhanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
I did Cathe Live Lower Body Burn this morning.

After the warm up she does about 5 minutes (maybe less) of cardio. I immediately thought that I could do without this segment. I was ready to jump into the weight work and did not desire to do cardio but I half heartedly did it anyway.

Cathe does the usual lunges,(including pulses) squats, side to side lunges, walking lunges, firewalker jumping jacks, fire walker walks, one leg lunges with sliders, side to side lunges with sliders.
Next we go to the floor and do, elevated pelvic lifts for hamstrings (with one foot on dumbbells) leg lifts, piazza lifts, side lying lifts and circles. Throughout the workout Cathe sometimes said that we are "doing this for the heart rate." Each time she said this I though to myself I want to do a leg workout and not a cardio workout

Stretch- the usual Cathe skimpy stretch.

I liked the second half of this workout more than the first half. I did sub machine leg presses for some of the lunges. I am not sure that I would do this one again. When I want a more cardio based leg workout I would probably do one of her Pylo legs or cardio leg routines. I guess when she said the workout was going to be Lower Body Burn I thought of a more weight based leg routine.

Some of my general thoughts about Cathe Live:

1. I like most of the Cathe Live workouts. I like the more relaxed atmosphere of the workouts and seeing people of all different shapes, sizes and ages.

2. I wish that Cathe would release a monthly schedule of Cathe Lives rather than just announcing it the evening before. If she did that I could more easily work the Cathe Live
workouts into my rotation. Since we never know what she is going to do, it is hard to plan. For example-- I did a leg routine yesterday.

3. Better music- I do understand the licensing issues though.

4. My Cathe Live streaming never starts at 9:15. It is usually 5-10 minute later. I am not sure if it is my system of if there is just a delay.

5. A longer and more thoughtful stretch at the end

6. Do not always put core/ab work last. I often wonder why instructors do that all the time?

7. Many of the workouts (at least the ones that I have done thus far) seem to be more endurance based than real strength based. Of course I can use heavier weights but then the rest periods between sets are not long enough or non existent for true strength lifting.

7. Cathe seems to use lighter weights in the Cathe Lives than in her DVDs. I understand that this is live class but I wish that every once in a while she would do a heavier weight routine for upper and lower body.
Thank you for your thoughts since they match mine to the tee. It would be so nice if she posted a monthly schedule since I did a total body workout at GymRa yesterday and my legs were sore. I would love to have had more ab work, definitely a better stretch at the end and could of skipped the cardio at the beginning. I realize she is trying to please all but the monthly schedule and cool down stretch would help me a lot!
Pam
Old 04-24-15, 07:23 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
But I thought that she was supposed to film some "one on one" workouts for Cathe Live?

Kathy
I missed this previously but that would be great. I hope they make good on this promise.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-15, 07:48 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I do what Lisa C does, go heavier if I can especially if I've done the workout a couple of times and know what's coming.

Overall, I am thrilled with Cathe Live. There is so much variety to choose from and it's exactly like taking a class at the gym with Cathe. I've learned that I'll love some of the workouts and some not so much. I just jot down the ones I love and keep doing them.

For me this has been a huge value for $9.97 because it's kept me from buying so many dvds because I know there will be potentially four new workouts to choose from each month.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-15, 07:52 AM  
glowacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C View Post
I am pretty sure she sticks to lighter weights because they don't have heavier dumbbells for the entire class.
This. Cathe doubles her weight for one arm rows (i.e. holding two dumbbells in one hand) and will say to the camera If you have heavier weights at home run and get them now. She also doubles her weight for pullovers, and often for overhead tricep extensions.
glowacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-15, 08:04 AM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowacki View Post
This. Cathe doubles her weight for one arm rows (i.e. holding two dumbbells in one hand) and will say to the camera If you have heavier weights at home run and get them now. She also doubles her weight for pullovers, and often for overhead tricep extensions.

Yes I noticed that she does say that and I do use one heavier dumbbell but even with the 2 dumbbells, the weight does not equal some of the weight she utilizes in her DVDs. I guess to really use much heavier weight I will have to use the Cathe DVDs.
Old 04-25-15, 06:48 PM  
wendy2

Hmmm. I haven't really noticed a difference in what Cathe uses in the live classes vs. what she uses in her DVDs, but maybe I tend to do her more endurance-based DVDs... I do notice her using 25 pounds for one arm rows, and I suppose in some workouts she goes to 30? Not much more than that usually though, right? I don't think I pay much attention anymore to what she usually uses, because I know what I usually use isn't often what she's using!

Anyway, I really came back to say that I updated the list of workout details:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...=209067&page=8

(re-posting it here in case that link doesn't work)
*indicates that core is included in the workout, usually at the end (#) indicates length of workout

Upper Body Workouts
Upper Body Sculpting* (51) (core @ 43:56)
Strong Upper Body* (57) (core @ 43:40)
Barbell Upper Body* (43) (core @ 36:45)

Lower Body Workouts
Long and Strong Legs (49) (Barre @ 32:00)
Legs w/ Weights and Stability Ball (52) (ball @ 42:55)
Lean Lower Body (51)
Lean and Mean Legs (52)
Butts and Guts Live* (55) (core @ 39:11)
All About Legs (69) (Barre and Ball starts @37:40)
Lower Body Burn (52) (Floor work starts @38)

Total Body Workouts
Total Body Weights* (64) (core @ 54:30)
Total Body Sculpt* (71) (core @58)
Total Body Reps* (66) (core @52)
Stability Ball Total Body Weights* (54) (ball and floor @ 35:45/core @43)
High Reps Total Body* (64) (core @ 55:14)
Push Pull Total Body Live* (41 ) (core @ 33:35 )

Metabolic/Circuit Workouts
Metabolic Conditioning Live (42)
Metabolic Circuit Blast (46)
Low Impact Hiit Circuit (53)
Cardio Strength Blast* (43) (core @38:20)
Cardio Leg Blast w/ High Step (56) (floorwork @ 44:00)
Cardio Band Blast w/ Weights* (48) (core @ 40:30)
Cardio and Weights* (54) (core @ 45:45)
Bootcamp w/ Step* (52) (core @ 44:35)
Bootcamp* (57) (core @ 46:47)
Ripped w/ Hiit Scrambler (45)
Crossfire Express Live (36)

Kickbox Workouts
Kickbox and Compound Weights (50)
Kickbox and Barre (53) (Barre @ 30)
Hi-Lo Cardio Kickbox (42)
HardStrikes Low Impact Boxing* (58) (core @ 51:00)
Cardio Boxing w/ Stability Ball Abs* (48) (core @33:45)

Cardio Workouts
Steptastic (46)
StepSweat Live (42)
Step Hiit* (66) (core @57:45)
Step Express with Blasts (41)
Solid Cardio plus Hiit (45)
Imax Live (44)
Hi Lo Hiit Live w/ Step* (43)
Hi Lo Hiit Live* (42)
High Intensity Cardio Step (45)
Hi Lo Cardio and Core* (50) (core @37:30)
Cycle Fit Live (56)
Cycle 1 (50)
Cardio Core Circuit* (46)
Road Trip All Step (47
Pedal Max (49)
wendy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-15, 09:54 AM  
pfhanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy2 View Post
Hmmm. I haven't really noticed a difference in what Cathe uses in the live classes vs. what she uses in her DVDs, but maybe I tend to do her more endurance-based DVDs... I do notice her using 25 pounds for one arm rows, and I suppose in some workouts she goes to 30? Not much more than that usually though, right? I don't think I pay much attention anymore to what she usually uses, because I know what I usually use isn't often what she's using!

Anyway, I really came back to say that I updated the list of workout details:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...=209067&page=8

(re-posting it here in case that link doesn't work)
*indicates that core is included in the workout, usually at the end (#) indicates length of workout

Upper Body Workouts
Upper Body Sculpting* (51) (core @ 43:56)
Strong Upper Body* (57) (core @ 43:40)
Barbell Upper Body* (43) (core @ 36:45)

Lower Body Workouts
Long and Strong Legs (49) (Barre @ 32:00)
Legs w/ Weights and Stability Ball (52) (ball @ 42:55)
Lean Lower Body (51)
Lean and Mean Legs (52)
Butts and Guts Live* (55) (core @ 39:11)
All About Legs (69) (Barre and Ball starts @37:40)
Lower Body Burn (52) (Floor work starts @38)

Total Body Workouts
Total Body Weights* (64) (core @ 54:30)
Total Body Sculpt* (71) (core @58)
Total Body Reps* (66) (core @52)
Stability Ball Total Body Weights* (54) (ball and floor @ 35:45/core @43)
High Reps Total Body* (64) (core @ 55:14)
Push Pull Total Body Live* (41 ) (core @ 33:35 )

Metabolic/Circuit Workouts
Metabolic Conditioning Live (42)
Metabolic Circuit Blast (46)
Low Impact Hiit Circuit (53)
Cardio Strength Blast* (43) (core @38:20)
Cardio Leg Blast w/ High Step (56) (floorwork @ 44:00)
Cardio Band Blast w/ Weights* (48) (core @ 40:30)
Cardio and Weights* (54) (core @ 45:45)
Bootcamp w/ Step* (52) (core @ 44:35)
Bootcamp* (57) (core @ 46:47)
Ripped w/ Hiit Scrambler (45)
Crossfire Express Live (36)

Kickbox Workouts
Kickbox and Compound Weights (50)
Kickbox and Barre (53) (Barre @ 30)
Hi-Lo Cardio Kickbox (42)
HardStrikes Low Impact Boxing* (58) (core @ 51:00)
Cardio Boxing w/ Stability Ball Abs* (48) (core @33:45)

Cardio Workouts
Steptastic (46)
StepSweat Live (42)
Step Hiit* (66) (core @57:45)
Step Express with Blasts (41)
Solid Cardio plus Hiit (45)
Imax Live (44)
Hi Lo Hiit Live w/ Step* (43)
Hi Lo Hiit Live* (42)
High Intensity Cardio Step (45)
Hi Lo Cardio and Core* (50) (core @37:30)
Cycle Fit Live (56)
Cycle 1 (50)
Cardio Core Circuit* (46)
Road Trip All Step (47
Pedal Max (49)
Thank you Wendy since I use this when I want to do a Cathe workout with abs. Some of her latest "live" classes don't have abs which I miss.
Old 05-01-15, 01:50 PM  
horusosiris

I did the new Cathe live Boxing with Leg Blast yesterday (56 minutes).

The first half (32 minutes) is all boxing drills. The second half is lower body cardio and weight. A cardio leg section is followed by a weighted leg exercise with dumbbells. The leg section has plyo moves, squats, lunges, side side lunges curtsy lunge and deadlifts.

I enjoyed the workout although it is not one of my favorite Cathe Lives.

Tags
cathe, cathe live, samsung