Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-20-03, 09:44 PM  
kyrin
VF Supporter

My first post at VF...

I've been feeling my way around the site for the past couple of months, finding the instructor and video info especially helpful in making my video purchases; however, it's time to start giving back to the group that I've been enjoying.

I've been a gym rat in the past (until the contract expired), but what I really am is nuts about video workouts! I'm building my collection (a bit too quickly according to my checkbook/credit card guarding hubby) and can hardly wait to see "what's next" as I progress in my workouts.

This year I committed to doing 365 days worth of workouts. This is the year that I refuse to sit on my butt and wish the year away. So, I've been movin' and losin' since January. ...The 365 commitment doesn't mean that I don't take a necessary day off occasionally, or give myself a light day of "just fun" work, but a day off means making up the work on another day...or spreading the work over a couple of days. Why? Well, I had to think of some way to keep myself from sliding through yet another calendar without posting a workout for days (or, eegads, weeks at a time). The 365 commitment was what I came up with to keep myself motivated and moving. ...And it's working. The video collection is growing, while I'm shrinking.

So, thank you VF for being here! ...With my first post done, I'm feeling more like one of the gang. Onward...to more posts.
Old 06-21-03, 08:34 AM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Cool Here's to the video junkies!

My credit accounts are groaning under the video collections, too! (And if it's not videos, it's books and magazines!) But I'm shrinking and feeling better all the time! While I didn't make a commitment to workout 365 days a year, I try to do something every single day...even it it's only walking more or paying more attention to my posture. I believe the $$$ spent is the best investment I've made to make my fifties better than my forties were!
Old 06-22-03, 11:18 AM  
Bouks

Talking

Kyrin, I love your 365 workouts a year idea, do you mind if I borrow that? My idea when I came back to exercise was similar, get something in X times a week, but I like yours better, it's much more motivating. Keep us posted as to how it works for you!

I'm fairly new to the forums here too but didn't post anything here...should have, but now I've retold my life story on a few different threads, and it's not nearly interesting enough to post a fourth time

Take care,

Bouks
Bouks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-03, 11:30 AM  
kyrin
VF Supporter

365 is working great...

The 365-day commitment is working really well at keeping me on track. I have made a few tweaks as I've progressed, but overall things are pretty much the same.

It took a while, but through trial and error (lots), I developed a Good N.E.W.S. lifestyle for myself (lots of tweaking) and am no longer struggling with the little bumps that used to derail me. (Good N.E.W.S is Good Nutrition, Exercise, Water, and Sleep.) ...Keeping things in balance/perspective is what makes this lifestyle easy for me, with daily exercising acting as the glue that seems to hold the whole thing together.

So far, I'm down 21 pounds and 26.5 inches since I started the commitment.

I'll keep you posted...
Old 06-23-03, 05:10 PM  
Michelle Easton

Coming out of the closet in Atlanta ....

Firm, FitPrime, Jari Love and Jillian Michels fan. First stumbled across this website in 1997 and have never really left.
Michelle Easton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-03, 01:18 AM  
Suzanne

Talking Perfect idea and a great way for me to come back...

Hello everyone,
I haven't been here in a long time but I'm back and hope to stay. Though my name is Suzanne Tangen, I've always been called Suzy or Sue.
This forum is where I first came when I had become very ill and it was this forum and a dear sweet friend I met here that helped me to get better.
Well, I'm now sick again because I didn't keep up with my workouts and I know it is because I haven't had the constant encouragement from my friends so I'm back. It's time to get busy with it and just do it. I have sooo many videos, ha ha once a vidoit always a vidoit. (sorry for the spelling).
I am living with my dad since my mother died and we had four dogs between us but now there are only 3. Tabitha, some of you may or may not remember her. She was my furchild, (Lahsa Opso), and lived to be 15 years old. I now have Mocha Bear whom is a Shih Tzu.
I am looking for people here to help encourage me and those who have Fibromyalgia and know how to deal with it. I need to know how to deal with the pain but keep exercising. Any ideas please let me know. Well, good to meet the new folks here and a pleasure to see my old friends. hugs to ya all, SuzyT[COLOR=purple][SIZE=3]
Old 06-25-03, 04:31 AM  
csmsam
VF Supporter

Hello everyone,

My name is Caroline, I have been lurking around for about 3 months now, with one or two postings.

I am 43, have four children aged 4 to 11, and live in Israel. In spite of the difficulty of buying videos here (nearly all are bought on ebay apart from Gilad), my collection has risen to nearly 15.

The hardest part for me in working out is finding the time. I have to leave the house before six, so my only free time is after the kids are in bed.

My favorites are Your Personal Best - great scenery, and Keli Roberts step which I just discovered.

The forums here at videofitness are great, and everyone is so helpful and friendly.

What else?

Thank you all for enriching my life and lightening my bank account.

Caroline
csmsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-03, 12:54 PM  
urszula

hello all....I found this website about 3 years ago and come here daily. I decided to finally register yeasterday and this is my first post. I have been exercising to videos since high school (my first video was Freedance) and I have about 80 videos now (I am 28). The reason I finally decided to post is that lately I just can't bring myself to workout. I tried buying new videos, etc. to get myself motivated and nothing...my goal for this year was 250 workout days...I was doing great until the middle of may....so I thought why not join this great forum. My video collection includes a little bit of everything and I have to give credit to VF for introducing me to Cathe, CIA, and Firm. Who knew there was so many videos out there?! ..now...since I am sooooo not tech savvy...I am going to click the submit button and hope it goes to the right place
urszula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-03, 04:29 PM  
stepdancer

I've read sooooo many introductions that I've lost track of who is who. I've been lurking for about 6 months, so I guess over time names will become familiar.

I'm in love with my husband of 19 years. We have an 18 year old daughter who is attending local college this year but will be going out of state next year. We live in Northern Illinois with our dog/dogs (see below).

Last December I took control of my life. I was working full time in the corporate world and growing two home based businesses. Frankly, I was doing most things half a__ed and was not happy. I had body aches and was not sleeping well. In a thoughtful, dignified manor my doctor told me that I need to lose weight and exercise to increase my circulation. Of course deep down inside I knew this but being "told" by my doctor had an impact. My husband and I decided that I would leave my day job and focus on my business which are machine quilting and designing quilt patterns.

I made a commitment to use what had been my commute time as exercise time. I pulled out some of my Kathy Smith videos and began. I quickly got bored and then found many, many videos on Ebay. One video had a link to this website. Thanks to VF, I've discovered Cathe, Christi, G-Force, and CIA. I apsolutely love complex choreography!! Doing creative step is like dancing. This is why I chose my VF name of Stepdancer.

This is working for me. I'm down 25 pounds, am stronger, sleeping better and have less body aches. I have Lyme Disease so might always have some body aches. Plus sometimes the minor body aches are from a new workout or increasing weights.

Lastly, since I am in control of my own schedule (for the most part) now, I am volunteering with Canine Companions for Independence (CCI). CCI provides highly skilled assistance dogs for people with disabilities. I help with various admin tasks, demos and fundraisers and I am looking forward to getting my first foster puppy. I'll raise the puppy from 8 weeks to about 16 months before it goes on to advanced training prior to placement. Sure this will be hard, but I will get a new puppy to raise and I'm doing something good for someone else.

At 44, I finally feel like I'm doing what I should be doing.

write me if you want to learn more about CCI, my quilting or whatever.
Old 07-05-03, 05:11 PM  
Danni

Coming out of the Lurker closet

Hi Everyone!

LOL...So many people in the same lurker boat as I am. Well, I joined this site in 2002. I've participated in many video trades but I never posted until now.

I live in beautiful Hawaii. It's a great place to exercise outside but because of my long work hours I find it easier to work out either at home or at a nearby gym. If I can't find the time to go to the gym, I pop in one of my tapes. At the gym, I like doing cardio workouts on a treadmill or elliptical machine.

I would say that I'm an intermediate/advance exerciser. I have a small video collection so far. Some Karen Voight tapes, a few Cathe Friedrich, Kathy Smith, Margaret Richardson, and The Firm tapes. Step workouts are my favorite though. I've recently started doing Pilates and yoga but I'm definitely at the beginner level for those two.

I have to thank this site for introducing me to Cathe Friedrich. I hadn't heard of her until I came here. The Video Reviews on the site have been a great resource. Now, before I buy or exchange a video, I read the review before plunging in. The Video Exchange on this site is great. I've been able to trade away workouts that I found boring or too easy.

I look forward to meeting more people on the site and to posting more regularly.
Danni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread