Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-21, 09:18 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

CS 1118 - this was a barre routine

Pilates and Yoga w/ Katja - Your Daily Pilates Routine -(20 min). I really enjoyed this routine and Katja's instruction. She has a nice looking channel n You Tube! I plan to do more of her routines in the future - she is calm in her instruction and the setting is pretty too.

I just couldn't bring myself to do the Trifecta workout for today - I just can't put my finger on it - but I get burned out on her stuff pretty quickly. It isn't like it is bad, or she is not a good instructor, but...i'm not drawn to it - which is good to know b/c I was starting to get tempted to re-subscribe and I hardly used her stuff last year. I think Jessica V's Pilates is a good subscription for me to have and then fill in the rest of it w/ You Tube. Katja's channel is nice and I have been meaning to do more w/ Moving Mango, too.

Later today I will get my Pahla B workout in and possibly a walk.

It is nice to see some sunshine!

Carol - thanks for that report - I'm glad the set finally arrived!

Dana - hope all goes well both with the dr's recommendations and your car.

Waves, everyone....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-21, 06:05 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Hi everyone!

My bloodwork came back today and the results were as expected. There is ample room for improvement in cholesterol and glucose values. Fortunately, neither one requires medication - yet, but I must make changes now or in a year or so I might need them. My HDL has always been great and my triglycerides number is also good is but my LDL has increased quite a bit and I must correct it. Losing weight and watching my diet a little closer should do the trick for improving my numbers. I can control my diet and I already love to exercise so I'm way ahead of the game. At least I have the baseline numbers and I know what I need to work on.

Carol, thanks for your input on Define and Align. My set came in today and I previewed the first 3 DVDs. I'm in agreement with you that production quality is not great, but I really liked the workouts I previewed. I'm going to enjoy them and I'll get to pull out and use my Fluidity barre. The Barre Bootcamp looks tough! I'm planning to do it tomorrow.

My car is still in the shop and I expect to be without it for several days. I hate having to depend on my husband for transportation.

Sunny and in the 40's here all week. I'll take it!

I'll check in with a real workout tomorrow.
Waves to Donna, Christine, Linda, Brenda and Cheri!
Old 02-25-21, 08:26 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Define & Align - Upper Body Strength - 30 minutes

This was a straight up traditional strength workout - 45 seconds of each exercise, followed by 15 seconds of rest/set up time for the next exercise. 3 circuits of 3 exercises, each set of exercises is repeated before moving on to the next set of exercises. She finishes with some plank and back work on the floor. I was sweating pretty good by the time I finished. I had to modify a couple of the more intense exercises - walking planks, renegade rows.

Pros - traditional strength work
Different setting than the Barre Bootcamp workout - this was in a home in front of French doors looking outside.
I played the workout without the music and could hear just fine.
Gave me a workout!

Cons - I'd still say the film quality wasn't the greatest, but I didn't notice it as much on this workout. These workouts feel a bit like they were filmed for YouTube, not DVDs.

Still glad I bought this set.

Dana - Glad your bloodwork wasn't as bad as you feared it might be. You can make these changes!

Donna - Glad you got ahold of yourself before you resubscribed to Trifecta Pilates. I do that from time to time with PBL and always end up wishing I hadn't.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 09:25 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Leslie 4 Fast Miles - Mile 1 & 2 - 30min
Define & Align Barre Bootcamp - 31min

I really liked Barre Bootcamp and I'm not much of a barre person. Workout was efficient, moved quickly and Karen didn't rep you to death. At the end I felt nicely worked out but not wiped out. Carol, you are right that the production quality is something you'd expect to see on youtube but I don't really mind. If the rest of the workouts are as good as this one was, then 49.99 is money well spent for me. No streaming problems, no ads, calendar all set up for you and Karen is a good, no frills or unnecessary chatter instructor. So far so good!

Gotta run some errands today. I'll check back with everyone later.

Waves!
Old 02-26-21, 09:29 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone

This morning was:

CS 1119
Moving Mango Pilates - Muscle Strength Full Body Pilates (20 min)

Yesterday, I did get my Pahla B workout in - it was functional fitness and also walked my dog - the weather seems to be improving - hope the trend continues!!

Today - more Pahla and then hopefully another walk.

I'm looking into a seat cushion for my work chair - I think that the sitting is the cause of my back/glute pain - I saw one on Amazon. I'm not sure what rabbit hole I went through on an internet search to find it - maybe Bob & Brad - I watch their stuff a lot - they are PTs and often have good advice.

Dana - good luck w/ the dietary changes. I will throw this out there - do you drink unfiltered coffee - french press, espresso shots, etc.? If so, that can raise LDL. I went through a French Press phase and my LDL became elevated, I switched to filter coffee, my LDL went down. No other changes. It is weird how the body reacts to things.

Carol - yes, I'm glad I resisted re-subscribing to Trifecta. I like her and her workouts, but not enough to subscribe - every once in awhile works for me. I liked Moving Mango today - she is very sweet - she speaks very softly though so you need to turn up the volume. I did enjoy Katja yesterday, too. Both offer lots of free content on You Tube.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 05:12 PM  
fanofladyvols

Donna I hope you find that a seat cushion helps. I had mentioned your chair because way back in the day I changed chairs and after about a week my back improved. Also good to see that CS helped. Hope you find other ways to get your movement without pain as well.

Carol snow is an ugly word, lol. It sounds like you're enjoying those workouts!

Dana I'm very independent too and having to depend on someone else for transportation is a total bummer. Hope they fix your car quickly!

Christine I hope your 10 minute journey is going well.

I'm having to share my Shred Shed more and more with my husband. He's now let me give him index cards for mobility that he uses. It's kinda strange walking in on him using my equipment and stuff. For years I have bugged him to exercise..now he is...and I'm feeling prickly about it, lol. Aren't I awful?

Anyway, I'm developing calluses on my hands learning kettlebells and loving it. Still working on the clean but loving all sorts of workouts I'm doing. Currently, my rotation is adding squat challenge and Single deadlift challenge to a basic kettlebell workout with mobility afterwards. Then rest days in between. I also finished all the Herman Wouk books and it was sad to not know what happens next with these characters. Not sure what classics I'll attack next.

Waves to all and well wishes Brenda!!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 06:16 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
For years I have bugged him to exercise..now he is...and I'm feeling prickly about it, lol. Aren't I awful?
Nope, you're not awful, Linda! I understand you perfectly. I too have been bugging my dh for years to exercise (lost cause!) but when he bought a treadmill and moved it into into MY workout room (with my permission) and then used my equipment, I felt uneasy and very possesive of MY personal space and MY equipment. LOL! His enthusiasm for working out lasted a week or so and that was few years ago! Yep, I understand you.
Old 02-26-21, 07:39 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workouts were

Define & Align - Pilates Precision - 30 minutes;
Treadmill Walk - 20 minutes

I liked this mat-based Pilates workout - it wasn't too easy and it wasn't too hard. Karen was good to give modifications for the harder moves. This wasn't the traditional pilates sequence - thankfully, I find that very boring - but it wasn't too routine and it wasn't too "creative" either.

Linda - I am enjoying this set - it's really right up my alley - barre, pilates and traditional strength work. I can already tell I will be subscribing to Karen's streaming site when I get tired of these workouts and want some new ones. As for your husband using your stuff, well, it's change, and that always takes some getting used to.

Donna - Hope your good weather continues. It's hard to believe that it will be March on Monday.

Dana - I really liked Karen's Barre Bootcamp a lot! You're right, she doesn't rep you to death and I really like the additional light weight moves that she incorporates.

Waves to Brenda ~

Carol
Old 02-26-21, 07:50 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Carol, I looked at Karen's subscription site and couldn't quite figure out if her membership only gives you priority access to her youtube workouts (and calendar based on those) or does she have a library of exclusive workouts just for her members? It wasn't clear to me.
Old 02-26-21, 08:47 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Carol, I looked at Karen's subscription site and couldn't quite figure out if her membership only gives you priority access to her youtube workouts (and calendar based on those) or does she have a library of exclusive workouts just for her members? It wasn't clear to me.
I don't think there's any exclusive workouts like Jessica has on her site. I'm thinking you would be paying primarily for a calendar.

Carol