Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-13, 10:07 AM  
Susan

If they wanted to trash talk about TA (or any other instructor,) they should have taken it to email or a phone call.

I think that people sometimes start chatting on social media and they start having fun and gossiping -- and they seem to forget that they're not having a private conversation, and that everyone else on the planet can read what they're posting.

Whatever the case, what Jennifer did was in poor taste, and unfortunately it's not the first time that she has trash-talked another method or instructor, so it's hard to give her a pass on this. Obviously, she can say whatever she wants when she's talking to a friend, and I wouldn't even criticize her for being silly or catty or whatever, but she should know better than to do it publicly.

She should really try to be more professional and to think before she posts. I like her workouts and probably own nearly every one she has ever made, but I'm starting to respect her a bit less as a person after reading her comments about TA (as well as her earlier comments about Bar Method.)
Old 08-26-13, 10:17 AM  
moonbeam31

that was pretty lame. Oh well, girls will be girls! They are immature for sure!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 10:20 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
That's how I took it too, initially. I actually think that they were bashing TA, which seems to be more and more common these days. I personally won't do that but as you say, Fuzzie, it seems to be happening more and more~even here at VF. I wonder what happened to the old "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all?"
Yikes! Agreed--the picture of TA Mat workout and comments it is quite clear it is TA they are joking about.

I don't like that either--not just because it is TA. I don't mind an instructor writing or talking about why they prefer the exercises/methods they use or giving well thought out warnings about exercises or methods they might see as dangerous. Or defending their method if criticized by another instructor. But I think this is in poor taste. Of course, sometimes people see Twitter as semi-private conversations so they might not realize the exchange is seen by this many people and discussed on forums.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 10:25 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post

HOWEVER, I strongly disagree with the idea that only pleasant comments should be made about instructors on this forum. It is completely appropriate IMHO for posters here to post that they don't like a particular workout/method/instructor as long as it is respectful. What's the point of even having a consumer forum if you can't voice your comments, whether positive or negative? I come here for people's opinions, whether they show warts or are a shower of flowers and rainbows.
That was absolutely not what I was saying when I said if you can't say something nice about SOMEONE. Talk honestly and feel free to critique their method, DVD, etc. but I see no need to get personal about instructors and it happens here more and more, IMO.
Old 08-26-13, 10:28 AM  
slysam

Quote:
HOWEVER, I strongly disagree with the idea that only pleasant comments should be made about instructors on this forum. It is completely appropriate IMHO for posters here to post that they don't like a particular workout/method/instructor as long as it is respectful. What's the point of even having a consumer forum if you can't voice your comments, whether positive or negative? I come here for people's opinions, whether they show warts or are a shower of flowers and rainbows.
I also believe people should post critical comments about workouts and instructors here as long as they are respectful about it. It can help others determine whether a workout/program/product is worth their time and hard earned money. Sometimes well explained negative reviews actually persuade me that I am interested in something--if I am under the impression my needs or preferences are different than the poster. And sometimes negative comments save me some $$. I just don't like the more personal attacks or those that imply that people who find value in x's workouts are foolish. But honest, respectful comments and reviews--positive, negative or mixed are all great.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 11:44 AM  
JP44

Quote:
Hi Joan,

I was referring to the comment below, with which I respectfully disagree. I should have been clearer in my initial post! I agree that some of the comments regarding the various instructors may go beyond what is necessary to convey a point. But I REALLY don't like instructors bashing each other!
Hi Cataddict,

Thank you for clarifying! I probably read more into it than I should have because the twitter commentary reminded me of similar posts here at VF.

There are many instructors I don't like, and I absolutely agree that people should be able to post their negative thoughts about workouts at VF.

I guess what gets old for some of us is hearing the type of comments I noted for certain workouts/instructors. It often crosses the line between criticism of the instructor & veers into criticism of the USER.

ITA that instructors should not bash other instructors. It makes them look petty & jealous. Ugh. They should follow the advice of "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" especially in social media.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 11:44 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
That was absolutely not what I was saying when I said if you can't say something nice about SOMEONE. Talk honestly and feel free to critique their method, DVD, etc. but I see no need to get personal about instructors and it happens here more and more, IMO.
I understand now that you have added the word 'someone'. It wasn't clear---to me at least on a Monday after I haven't gotten a good night's sleep---that you meant personal comments about instructors. I agree that these can get out of hand but IMO it's no more prevalent than it's ever been here at VF. The instructor names change but the type of comments don't, although TA gets A LOT because of her connection with "celebrities" IMO and she is very visible and vocal

People sure get in trouble with Twitter don't they?
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 11:45 AM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
I also believe people should post critical comments about workouts and instructors here as long as they are respectful about it. It can help others determine whether a workout/program/product is worth their time and hard earned money. Sometimes well explained negative reviews actually persuade me that I am interested in something--if I am under the impression my needs or preferences are different than the poster. And sometimes negative comments save me some $$. I just don't like the more personal attacks or those that imply that people who find value in x's workouts are foolish. But honest, respectful comments and reviews--positive, negative or mixed are all great.
This^!

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 11:47 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
This^!

Joan
This ^ X2!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 11:59 AM  
Cheyenne Shaw
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
Wow, I thought I liked Jennifer Galardi but that was just immature. Like a couple of junior varsity cheerleaders talking trash about the head cheerleader. This is not only insulting to TA, but to those that like her workouts as well.

I agree..I know people have a right to their own opinion and everything but why do it in that manner?

John 16:33

I have said these things to you, that in Me (Jesus) you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."
Cheyenne Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ashley borden, jennifer galardi, pearl clutching, snark, tracy anderson, twitter