Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-09-13, 06:01 PM  
herya

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Yeah, I've been thinking on this and am pretty dumbfounded by the original statement. It seems pretty mean-spirited. If Jennifer G. was truly concerned about poor alignment and our bowel health ... I'm sure there was a way to do it without singling out Bar Method or any other brand. She could've simply pointed out her opinions on the tuck-in-general....

Whatever... I'm pretty sure I (and other BM fans) will continue on as was...
Yeah, I really don't get why instructors feel the need to tear into each other like that. If Jennifer felt that something was unsafe, she could have written a blog entry in the spirit of "I attended a barre class recently and it got me thinking how some movements may aggravate some issues, depending on how they are instructed", with examples and clarifications.

I actually think less of Jennifer now, and she seemed such a positive person. I'm sure 80% of urban women she mentions don't even work out, not to mention working out with BM.

Burr herself has critiqued some other methods unnecessarily on her blog IIRC, but this is taking it to the next level.
Old 02-09-13, 06:03 PM  
Stephanie_B

I'm amazed at her ability to assess people's bowel habits based on the fact if a Bar Studio is in their urban area or not.

That said I read it on her Facebook page too after Jennifer pointed it out, so if it is in response to a tweat...that's just odd to me.

I also find it disheartening that she put it out there without explaining it further except for the "exacerbation" part. To me that comes across as petty. IIRC Tracie Long said something about tucking years ago and explained WHY she felt that way. I disagree with her, but YMMV and I respected her because she (1) did not name names and (2) explained her reasoning, which IS sound but I feel not always true if that makes sense. Throwing it out there is like telling me I need to wear black undies period.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:05 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippity View Post
I am extremely interested in what she has to say; which I suppose was her intention with the remark.
I actually am as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom View Post
Okay now I can't see this without giggling.

I'm a loyal fan of BM.
(either way you wanna read that)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 06:52 PM  
marmact

Maybe she was just trying to stir up controversy/publicity, but I will say that I am rarely motivated to buy an instructor's workouts when they make a lot of negative commentary on other people's stuff.

Why not sell us on the positive benefits of YOUR method instead?
Old 02-09-13, 06:57 PM  
Susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by herya View Post
If Jennifer felt that something was unsafe, she could have written a blog entry in the spirit of "I attended a barre class recently and it got me thinking how some movements may aggravate some issues, depending on how they are instructed", with examples and clarifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
...I will say that I am rarely motivated to buy an instructor's workouts when they make a lot of negative commentary on other people's stuff.

Why not sell us on the positive benefits of YOUR method instead?
I agree completely.
Old 02-09-13, 07:02 PM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
Woah! The gauntlet has been thrown!!!

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 07:06 PM  
tytbody
VF Supporter

I think BM helps BMs really. All the twisting and massaging of the intestines. We shall see. Wait till the blog gets up.

~~~Cheryl

Completed a 10 day Pilates Challenge 2019
Completed Pilates 7 day Challenge 2019

Live Life Simply -Simply Love Life
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-13, 07:37 PM  
lorajc

I'm upset to read this. I love Jen Galardi and her workouts. I do know she has a pretty decent ballet background....but?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 08:50 PM  
lisarah

Reviving this thread as I am curious to see if anyone ever saw any follow-up message from JG. Just pulled out & did a Bar Method dvd today. I'd hate to have BM issues tomorrow - tee hee

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-13, 09:19 PM  
mle777

I was also thinking about this thread earlier today and almost bumped it for an update

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar method, bar method live classes, jennifer galardi