Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-11, 04:46 PM  
cpcathy

Re: My Zumba decline...

I started out really liking the set (infomercial set, by the way). But after a few times doing the video, the moves get repetitive. A couple of the dances I just turned out not to enjoy, my favorite style of all time is Salsa and you don't get four videos of just salsa. Also, the music is practically the same on all the DVDs. If I hear "....Zumba! Zumba! Zumba!" one more time I will scream! And I ended up not liking the bit of music that sounds like kids are singing it. I don't know, just wasn't my taste. I did enjoy the sculpting DVD, of all things, but it only played on my living room DVD player, so I wasn't getting that much use out of it since I couldn't watch it in my gym room. And when I gave away the DVDs I felt I should give away the whole set, not just the ones I didn't care for.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 05:02 PM  
horsemom2

I feel the same way about Zumba. At first I loved the original set then with each set they felt repetitious in the music and the moves instead of fresh and new. Just think they could have evolved further by now.

Barb S
who did like the new Zumba Live alot though
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 05:03 PM  
DanceMinx

Thumbs up Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
Hi Dance Minx, I think we have a lot of similarities in our taste in dance dvds! Thanks for the description of the Pusseycat Dolls one as I've actually been thinking about that one--but have held back because of some of the reviews and a fear it might be too much like Carmen Electra.
Funny, SlySam, I was just reading with interest about your take on Quenia Ribeiro and I was thinking the same thing. I live near NYC and am considering taking twice weekly samba classes but it's such a trek. I probably should just wait until my husband comes back but he loses patience with me (primarily because I am his wife) but it would be nice to improve with a female instructor.

The PCD do dance in the workout but the outfits, posturing, and comments are more than a little bit embarrassing. I don't own the Carmen Electra dvds (primarily because I don't think I ever have seen her dance. I think a chimmy and a jiggle but does that really count? ) .

What I would be interested in seeing would be a lambada workout. I mean modern lambada Rio-style with the posture on toes and waving body movements.

Over 80 DVDs, 2/3 are virgins. Shhh! Don't tell my husband.

Obviously, an abuser of emoticons....
DanceMinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 05:07 PM  
DanceMinx

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Question - this is the one Latin dance that I have had a huge difficulty learning - I can do the footwork, or I can move my hips, but I simply cannot do both together. Do any of these DVD's truly teach you how to Samba? If so, I'm all over them.
You know what you do about coordinating feet to hips? Push your butt out. The gravity should make your hips swing. And roll your opposing shoulder back. It is like a wave. The bottom of one side moves in time to the top half of the other side. I don't know if I'm making sense to you. Just keep your torso and head erect while you do it (NO SLUMPING!!). After you get used to the rhythm, try to smooth out the motions so they look sexier.

I follow the light skinned girl with the long hair on Quenia's dvds. I like her style better than Quenias. If you watch her, you'll notice what I'm talking about.

Old 02-24-11, 05:12 PM  
DanceMinx

Lightbulb Coordination Technique

Another tip: I watch this YouTube video all the time but I haven't yet made the jump to purchase. This woman's flow is perfect once she speeds everything up. Try to use this with your Zumba tape to improve your samba.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W551R1h_LKA

Old 02-24-11, 05:20 PM  
DanceMinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertMermaid View Post
Oh so I just found out my local library has the Zumba set. It's got over 100 holds on it, but they've got over 40 copies. So I reserved it. Hopefully, it won't be too long before it's my turn. I think I can stay busy looking into the other recommendations in the mean time.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the input.
That's a thought. I should try the local library as well as interlibrary loan for more dance dvds. *cue evil laugh while gleefully rubbing hands together* MUUUHHHWWWAHHHAAAHHAAHHAAA

Last edited by DanceMinx; 02-24-11 at 05:20 PM. Reason: sticky keys
Old 02-24-11, 05:26 PM  
DanceMinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertMermaid View Post
WOW, thats one impressive collection of dance DVDs!
It's impossibly large, I know!!! LOL. I just love to dance and always am looking for more.

Did you try the Cardio Ballroom on YouTube? Did you like it? Did you get a chance to try the Quenia Ribeiro? What did you like/dislike about each?

HTH!!!

Old 02-24-11, 05:40 PM  
mj476

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMinx View Post
It's impossibly large, I know!!! LOL. I just love to dance and always am looking for more.

Did you try the Cardio Ballroom on YouTube? Did you like it? Did you get a chance to try the Quenia Ribeiro? What did you like/dislike about each?

HTH!!!
DanceMinx - I also have an impossibly large dance collection. If you like Lisa Nunziella, you might want to try her 5-Day Latin. It has merengue, salsa, samba, cha cha and rumba. If you thought her choreography was fast in RHS2, I think her salsa in 5 Day is even faster! It's like she's trying to cram in as much as possible in under 30 minutes. It goes lightning fast. The warmup and cooldowns are the same and they're all about 27-29 minutes.

I actually started bellydancing about 8 months ago and I love it. I've built up a respectable collection of bellydance DVDs. Go take a look at worlddancenewyork.com and you'll see plenty of clips for bellydance DVDs.

Marcy
Old 02-24-11, 05:59 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceMinx View Post
You know what you do about coordinating feet to hips? Push your butt out. The gravity should make your hips swing. And roll your opposing shoulder back. It is like a wave. The bottom of one side moves in time to the top half of the other side. I don't know if I'm making sense to you. Just keep your torso and head erect while you do it (NO SLUMPING!!). After you get used to the rhythm, try to smooth out the motions so they look sexier.

I follow the light skinned girl with the long hair on Quenia's dvds. I like her style better than Quenias. If you watch her, you'll notice what I'm talking about.
THANK YOU! I'm going to practice tonight. The video is awesome, too. I was doing it all wrong! No wonder it made no sense at all to me! Wonderful. I love VF - someone always knows the answer to my questions. Wish life was more like that!
Old 02-24-11, 07:52 PM  
DanceMinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj476 View Post
Christine - It's to a 3 count for a basic samba step. For the volta step, it's usually done in a 4 count:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2307365_do-v...nts-samba.html

There are loads of samba videos on youtube you should check out.

If you have Cardio Axe from Brazil Butt Lift, that is basically the samba.

Marcy
I love axe. I wish there were more dance workouts with axe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Faf1...37017E878856F6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nrU..._order&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsmhh..._order&list=UL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSA4r..._order&list=UL

This is how I learned the samba and samba-reggae. I went to a Brazilian club in Latin America and saw my husband. Who's that GUY???? Since being back in the States, I have missed it alot. Thank God for YouTube. There are virtually no dvds on the market with this and by virtually i mean none that i know of. Is Brazilian Butt Lift like this?? (with credit card awaiting answer)

Oh, and none of the men in these videos are my husband.

Last edited by DanceMinx; 02-24-11 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Added a link and disclaimer.

Tags
dance, dance cardio, dance workouts, disco abs, jennifer galardi