Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-21, 06:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paula, glad you got on a list! I'm eligible in NY, but we don't have a registration system; one of my colleagues remarked that it's like The Hunger Games out there. I'm just going to wait until I can get it more easily, although I'm glad that my in-laws, one of my sisters, and one of my cousins all got it this past week.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 09:28 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I've been going to my Planet Fitness once weekly because it is very well regulated, cleaned and a fraction of the usual attendees are back. I might have to curtail the gym though and just hate to do it. I have all my home workouts but really need to go heavy at least once a week and I'm not one to put in weight benches, barbells, etc. at home. You could get it at a grocery store, who knows?

But things are getting really frightening where I live, even shut ins and compliant people and work at home people in my circle are coming down with it left and right. Some people say it's barely a cold, others have been horribly sick for two weeks or more. One of my elderly acquaintances is on her sixth day in the hospital getting the antibody infusions.

I'm getting the first dose of the Moderna COVID vaccine this week. My place of employment has been getting good quantities of it. Emergency personnel were of course first in line but it's starting to trickle down to us peons.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 10:09 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, I feel the same way about going to the yoga studio (ie, well-regulated, cleaned, not a lot of people), but I have had the thought that I might have to stop if things get worse around here. It's definitely scary to hear about cases of people who were pretty isolated and are still getting the virus. That is good news about the vaccine! I've been eligible here for several weeks, but it's not available. The college has put in to get it, and if they do, I will definitely be able to get it that way, but we don't know when that might happen.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-25-21, 01:59 PM  
laurajhawk

I quit going to yoga studios in the spring and then again in November, but now I am going. I watch the county covid numbers pretty closely and do virtual classes if they're very high (that's a relative thing!) OR if they're increasing, because sometimes an increase turns very steep very quickly.

I also use this risk calculator: https://mycovidrisk.app/ It takes your location and parameters like number of people, size of room, etc. to give a risk estimation. For yoga, the "gym" selection does not seem appropriate, so I use "build my own activity." Then I always end up getting a high risk result and going into the "reduce my risk" menus to give more information - in particular, the studios I've been going to put tape on the floor to enforce 6' distancing between mats, and the website seems to assume you're closer until you "reduce my risk" by specifying 6' distancing.

I am THRILLED that my DH has an appointment this afternoon for the first vaccination. I won't be eligible for quite a while, but he's over 70 and so can get vaccinated in Colorado. Of course it's hard to get appointments since the supply is limited - I feel lucky to have gotten him this one!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 07:42 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Pat, congrats on your vaccination, and also to your DH, Laura.

Beth, I managed to get signed up through my employer, but am being told it will be many months before my name is called. In Canada, the current target date to have everyone vaccinated is September, and being a healthy non-essential worker in my forties means I am (rightfully) low priority.

I think the worst part is gearing up for another spring and summer of none of my usual activities. Regardless of my personal vaccination date, I can't see things really opening up until a significant percentage of the population is done. The big spring road race in my city (that I have done every year since the late 90s) has already announced it will be virtual again this year, and I doubt there will be any dragon boating (with 20 paddlers crammed together while breathing heavily) this summer. I am desperately hoping to be playing hockey next winter.

Today I did a virtual tabata class.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 09:15 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Paula, yeah, it's hard to deal with the continuing repercussions as we move into another year.

Laura, that risk estimator was interesting...although I found it hard to estimate how many people would be at the grocery store.

I'm happy for everyone who has been able to get their vaccine so far!!!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-26-21, 09:32 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post

I think the worst part is gearing up for another spring and summer of none of my usual activities. Regardless of my personal vaccination date, I can't see things really opening up until a significant percentage of the population is done. The big spring road race in my city (that I have done every year since the late 90s) has already announced it will be virtual again this year, and I doubt there will be any dragon boating (with 20 paddlers crammed together while breathing heavily) this summer. I am desperately hoping to be playing hockey next winter.
Agreed. It's been a year since the first stirrings. It seems never ending.

Laura - thank you for that link. I'm at high risk being at the office in my location!!!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-21, 09:39 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I hear you all. It's harder some days than others; I try to see the bright spots. I like this quote from Dr. Ruth:
"Our way is not soft grass, it's a mountain path with lots of rocks. But it goes upward, forward, toward the sun."

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 01-26-21, 09:43 AM  
laurajhawk

Oh, that's not good, Pat! Although I guess it's predictable - the problem with offices is that you're there so much! We've been told we will work from home at least until June, and I'm glad.

Based on my state (Colorado)'s projections, I wasn't expecting to get vaccinated until summer, but now the Biden administration is saying everyone who wants it will be able to get it by sometime in the spring. I hope they're right! It still won't be safe out there, though, because last I heard only 58% of Americans planned to get it. I don't know what THAT means for resumption of "normal" activities.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-21, 01:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

In case it brings comfort to anyone, here's the meditation I filmed today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYrpIfv-eos

Follow me @YogiBethC

Tags
check in, check-in, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, new check-in, pandemic, social fitnessing