Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-25-20, 04:41 PM  
unfetteredpast

Sending you a safe hug, Wendy! Giving that kitty a home has earned you a huge deposit in the karma bank account. I hope that you are soon posting youtube videos of the cat and dogs all sleeping together happily.
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 04:43 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

My sincere condolences on your MIL passing, Wendy. I'm another one that sends you a hug and a thank you for adopting your MIL's 9 year old cat.
Old 10-25-20, 07:08 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

My condolences Wendy and Erica on your losses.

Like everyone, I have been experiencing low-level, yet constant, anxiety and malaise. Nothing specific - I am still employed and able to work from home until next spring, and all my family is healthy and abiding by all health guidelines. I guess just general uncertainty and unease. I have really learned how important exercise is to my mental health. I was hardly exercising at all for the first couple of weeks of lockdown and noticed the difference right away when I went back to exercising every day.

The biggest change to my exercise routine has been the discovery of YouTube workouts (my poor neglected DVDs!) I also joined a dance studio that moved to virtual classes, and now take all kinds of dance classes every week (hip-hop, jazz, salsa, cha-cha, soca). I would never have had the nerve to have tried all this in-person, and now I am hooked!

Another positive discovery for me has been curbside pickups. I tell every retailer I visit that I hope this becomes a permanent option. The convenience of online shopping while still supporting local businesses. I may never go grocery shopping again!

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 07:21 PM  
dmlarue1

I did good with exercise but my eating went out of control. Between my kids being out of school and doing virtual, my job being in danger of being laid off, seeing patients with covid, worrying about my family as they were in a hotspot and then worrying about us as we were in a hotspot, and just not ever having a break from my kids because no one is babysitting (one has adhd and the other has aspergers so they are a handful)...I felt my only outlet was exercise and eating. Plus what works for me to manage my weight is to eat anti inflammatory which requires a lot of cooking from scratch which I didn't have much energy for. But the last couple of weeks I have been better and I am looking forward to losing the weight I gained.

Exercise wise I stick with pilates. Every time I try something else I get an injury so I stick with pilates
dmlarue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-20, 07:22 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
My condolences Wendy and Erica on your losses.

Like everyone, I have been experiencing low-level, yet constant, anxiety and malaise. Nothing specific - I am still employed and able to work from home until next spring, and all my family is healthy and abiding by all health guidelines. I guess just general uncertainty and unease. I have really learned how important exercise is to my mental health. I was hardly exercising at all for the first couple of weeks of lockdown and noticed the difference right away when I went back to exercising every day.

The biggest change to my exercise routine has been the discovery of YouTube workouts (my poor neglected DVDs!) I also joined a dance studio that moved to virtual classes, and now take all kinds of dance classes every week (hip-hop, jazz, salsa, cha-cha, soca). I would never have had the nerve to have tried all this in-person, and now I am hooked!

Another positive discovery for me has been curbside pickups. I tell every retailer I visit that I hope this becomes a permanent option. The convenience of online shopping while still supporting local businesses. I may never go grocery shopping again!

Thank you.

Like you, I've discovered more YouTube workouts and have abandoned my DVDs. It's been a lot of fun trying out so many new workouts.

I used to use curbside pickups before the pandemic, but have stopped because the service has gotten so bad - too many customers and too few employees. We were regularly waiting an hour for pickup over the summer and then I had to wait 90 minutes in September and decided I was done. Not only was the wait long, but there were always problems with the orders. The manager told me that they were so short-staffed that they would hire anyone at that point and the quality of service really suffered.

I agree about exercise helping so much with mental health. I really don't know what I would do without my workouts. They keep me sane.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 12:23 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I started a new check-in called Social Fitnessing: The VF Pandemic Check-In. I hope everyone reading and posting in this thread will join the check-in.

We can talk more about how the pandemic is affecting us, and how our exercise routines are going. It will be a way for us to stay connected to our fitness friends here at VF, inspire and motivate each other, commiserate, and share ideas.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 08:58 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
Pat, I relate to how you’ve been feeling. It’s great that you have kept up with the yoga and meditation.
What a weeny I am - you're there right in the middle of it. Oh boy. Thank you for starting the new check-in!

Cleda, I also enjoyed your inspirational post.

Wendy and Erica, please accept my condolences. I'm sorry you both lost your loved ones this way.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 09:09 AM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Wendy and Erica, I am so sorry for your losses.

Pat, you're not a weeny!

Several family members and colleagues of mine have had Covid-19. One of my cousins barely got through it, and has residual lung issues. My friend’s mother, a lovely person, who lived in assisted living in Florida, died from it in August. My MIL’s assisted living residence in NY had 17 out of 39 residents test positive a few months ago. She was lucky and so far, has not gotten it, but cases are ticking up nearby, and it’s a daily worry.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 09:24 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

FitBoop, awesome checkin name!

I already am in a checkin in and get disorganized when I try to do more , but I might pop in from time to time.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-20, 11:07 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitBoop View Post
It’s very interesting to see how the pandemic has affected people’s routines. How has it changed your daily routines and exercise? Are you exercising more or less? Differently or the same as before? Are you more or less motivated? How’s your sleep?

My sleep is a mess. I am very sensitive to bad news, and I read too much news, which affects my ability to sleep. The bad sleep decreases my energy. As a result, I have been exercising less.
I can relate to this. My sleep has always been kind of a mess but I have the same issue with the news. I go through periods where I try to limit it. I manage to still keep informed about what is going on without obsessively reading the details. Sometimes my friends call or text me with "did you hear about____" or "I am panicking about_____" I kind of cut them off and tell them I am trying to manage my own anxiety and give them advice on how to manage their own stress. However I can easily go down the rabbit hole of "doomscrolling"
As far as my exercise routine the main difference is not going to the gym. At the beginning I added a daily walk most days with my husband, DD and the dog. Even without the gym I can get in a decent workout because I have a very nice exercise space with weights, a TRX, heavy bag etc. in my basement. We also got a rowing machine for my husband which I use once in awhile. I got foot surgery in July which limited what I could do but I have been adding more activity as it heals. I think the gyms here opened again but I only ever went there for the heavy weights and the sled which I cannot use now due to my foot anyway. Also I really do not feel comfortable going back even if they are open especially now that the cases are going back up in NJ.
I am also eating alot due to stress and boredom and haven't weighed myself in months because I don't need more bad news!

ETA: I have been taking occasional Qi Gong classes online. This instructor would typically not do online classes (I was supposed to take an in person class with him in June in CA) but these are unusual times. I have learned standing and walking meditation techniques which I do every other day or so. It helps alot with stress. I have been trying to keep practicing my Tai Chi since the classes have been cancelled. My teacher was going to start classes outdoors for his advanced students but then the cases started to go up and he decided not to. He is older so it is totally understandable.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid, covid-19, exercise routines, pandemic