Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-20, 11:20 AM  
prettyinpink

Maybe it has something to do with styles and masks vs. no masks.

I personally cannot wear a mask for cardio, so I go to a gym that has distancing (way more than six feet between) and increased ventilation and better filtration. Most people wear the mask for weights but take it off for heavy cardio. Not to mention that when cloth gets sweaty, it isn’t effective.

But I wouldn’t want to be in a smaller room taking a sweaty class with or without a mask, and I would guess it would be quite challenging to teach a vigorous class while wearing one, so that was my guess as to why I don’t see the cardio classes at the gym anymore. Or maybe they would have to lower the number of participants so much that it wouldn’t be worth it.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 02:24 PM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Becky, I'm curious.
What were the classes that have been cancelled?
Do you know why they stopped altogether and not the pilates and yoga?
They still have pilates and yoga. But some of the instructors that I liked didn't come back and I don't know if that was the gym's doing or the instructors. There used to be a yoga class at 1045 on tues and thurs. Plus monday and wed nights and saturday at noon. They took away the tues and thurs classes and those are the ones that had the great instructors. Before the pandemic they had pilates on tuesday and friday and now none on tues but the added one on thursday which I can't get to.

A lot of the group exercise classes that are not mind body are pretty full. they only allow 15 max now where before the pandemic the class was packed with 20 or more. I don't go to those because of all the equipment they use and it all has to be cleaned after using. But they still get close to 15 in the classes. The mind body classes usually have 5-8 people. Some of the previous yoga classes that I used to go to with the good instructors would have 15 people in them.

Its just not like how it used to be but I'm thankful the gym is open. A lot of gyms around here closed and I notice that a lot of people that previously went to my gym have not come back. I wonder how they are doing and if they will ever come back.
Old 11-01-20, 02:32 PM  
fanofladyvols

Becky Thanks for stopping back by to clear that up

Beth and prettyinpink both of you bring up good reasons why I can see that others wouldn't want to teach or attend.

I'm thankful I'm able to exercise at home.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 07:02 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
FitBoop, awesome checkin name!

I already am in a checkin in and get disorganized when I try to do more , but I might pop in from time to time.
Thanks, Beth! I hope you do pop in! BTW, we're talking about you over there .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I can relate to this. My sleep has always been kind of a mess but I have the same issue with the news. I go through periods where I try to limit it. I manage to still keep informed about what is going on without obsessively reading the details. Sometimes my friends call or text me with "did you hear about____" or "I am panicking about_____" I kind of cut them off and tell them I am trying to manage my own anxiety and give them advice on how to manage their own stress. However I can easily go down the rabbit hole of "doomscrolling"

I am also eating alot due to stress and boredom and haven't weighed myself in months because I don't need more bad news!
lreidgreen, I finally decided to cut WAY back on news (and the scale). I must get my sleep on track, and even though I think I am tough enough to hear all the bad news and still get good sleep, it's just not happening. It's better at this point to keep life more about family, friends and our well-being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Muscle Burns Fat and Muscle Burns Fat Advanced on Beachbody. I was in such a funk that I joined Beachbody streaming and had to pay to have early access to these workouts as they won't become available to subscribers until December. It was worth it to me because it did get me out of my funk, though I had to start it 3 times before I could actually go through it due to Covid then falling and injuring my foot. I did the entire program. Now I started with Cathe's Perfect 30 but tonight I did MBF Week 1 Total Body Burn. And thank you....the funk is real but we have to keep fighting!
Angela, kudos to you for keeping going through adversity! I'm glad you have found ways to get out of your funk.

Jeanne Marie, congratulations on your wedding! Kevin is a lucky guy to have such a beautiful partner in life! You have always been an inspiration with your dedication to fitness.

Gams, I am so sorry about the loss of your terrier.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 06:25 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have been trying to work out earlier the afternoon. With mixed results.

I'm really trying to focus on my hobbies more. After putting it off for who knows how long, I started organizing my craft and hobby supplies. I know that will be a real emotional boost having everything where it should be.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 09:17 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I have been trying to work out earlier the afternoon. With mixed results.

I'm really trying to focus on my hobbies more. After putting it off for who knows how long, I started organizing my craft and hobby supplies. I know that will be a real emotional boost having everything where it should be.
Those are all very productive endeavors, Alta! Organizing is always a mood-lifter.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-20, 04:26 PM  
acey

When I moved back to California from NYC in 2016, it meant working from home. It unfortunately meant also that I didn't naturally walk as much during the course of the day as I did in the city (including climbing flights of stairs to and from my apartment!) So my physical activity since then was pretty much limited to home workouts.

However, in the first 2 months of lockdown, I frequently experienced such crushing depression/lethargy/numbness of feeling that I would go an entire day just sitting at my desk. I did manage to force myself to exercise even just half an hour after days like that, and of course, the exercise lifted my mood. It's that constant fight between "too depressed to exercise" and "but if you exercise, you won't be so depressed."

Like all humans, I have adapted to the current reality and now am much better at maintaining my 5-day-a-week workouts.
Old 11-03-20, 08:37 PM  
DCW

Jeanne,

Congratulations and best wishes to both of you.

Thank you for sharing with us. A bright ray of sunshine you brought to my day. Seeing your happiness is just what I needed.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-20, 08:48 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey View Post

However, in the first 2 months of lockdown, I frequently experienced such crushing depression/lethargy/numbness of feeling that I would go an entire day just sitting at my desk. I did manage to force myself to exercise even just half an hour after days like that, and of course, the exercise lifted my mood. It's that constant fight between "too depressed to exercise" and "but if you exercise, you won't be so depressed."
I had the same experience. You described it so well. I'm glad you're clawing your way out of it; I am too.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-20, 08:59 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I've had a more mild version of the exercise fight, vacillating between "I'm too tired [or worn out or demoralized or other] to exercise" versus knowing that I would feel better if I did. Most days the latter has won, but I have given myself LOADS of permission to do whatever minimal movement would help and feel good.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid, covid-19, exercise routines, pandemic