Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-14, 06:33 AM  
twinkletoes

What's wrong with my baby?

I know this is OT, but there are so many experienced moms here, I wanted to ask...

Is there something wrong with my baby? She's 5 weeks old and ever since she was 2 weeks old, all she does is complain, yell, and cry. She won't take a nap in the afternoon. You can tell she's tired but if we get 5-10 minutes out of her that's a lot. At night she'll sleep from about 10pm - 10 am though (getting up a couple times to eat). But once she's up, she's up for the day. We can't put her down because she won't stop crying during the day - bouncy chair, swing, car, etc. She just won't stop. Even the wrap doesn't work. She's the most unhappy baby I've ever known. She's always eating (she gained 4 pounds since she was born). But she just won't stop crying. What's wrong with her? Is this normal behavior for a 5 week old? Anyone else have an angry, unhappy baby? What can I do to help her? Or is there something wrong with her? (Sometimes she's quiet and happy but for the most part all she does is yell while she's awake).
Old 08-22-14, 06:39 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry you're having a rough time of it. Have you talked with your pediatrician? My one and only child was a pretty easy baby so I was spoiled. I hope things improve soon. The only thing that comes to mind is some type of food allergy.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 07:24 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Oh dear, I'm so sorry! How miserable! I'd be curious to hear what your pediatrician has to say. That does seem odd that she won't nap at all at 5 weeks. Does she conk out on the breast?
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 07:29 AM  
alisoncooks

Oh, poor momma! That sounds stressful!
I would also think that at 5 weeks she'd still be getting into those milk comas (you know, when you feed them and they just zonk out, milk dribbling out the corners of their cute lil' mouths....) Does she fall asleep after a feeding?

FWIW, with my oldest (who would only sleep after a feeding and would wake soon afterwards), I would lay down with her and feed her, then we'd just stay in bed for the nap. Lasted longer that way...and mommy got a nap, too! (Thank goodness my youngest didn't need this sort of attention!)

Definitely check with your ped. She may have reflux or something. My brother and SIL have had a tough time with their new baby -- quite like you're describing (seemed always to be screaming, unhappy, poor napping schedule). I don't think they ever found a solid answer, though the mom (since she was nursing) did eliminate a LOT from her diet, trying to find an answer (thought maybe an allergy to something she was eating).

Best of wishes! At least she seems to sleep well at night -- 10-10, even with feedings, is quite a marathon!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 07:31 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Definitely speak with your pediatrician. Your sweet baby may have colic. My son cried for almost the entire first year, but it was worse in the first 3-4 months. By a process of elimination I tried different formulas (I did not produce enough milk and the poor little guy was starving) until I found the right one which did not bother him. Even when things improved, he just seemed to be a miserable little child. As he grew and the more I was able to introduce rice cereal, oatmeal, jarred baby foods, etc., it got better and better. I'll never understand it - but things drastically improved by six months and by one year, he was the sweetest, happiest baby and after all that hollering, he grew up to be a very quiet and introspective person.

Also, how is she in the diaper rash department? Sometimes babies can be very sore before actual rash appears. You have my sympathies - give the nurse at the pediatrician's office a call and let us know.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 07:33 AM  
sophiesmom

I'm so sorry you're both going through that.

I second the suggestion to have her checked for digestive issues --reflux, etc.

Also your situation sounds similar to something my friend went through years ago. Wouldn't stop crying.

Turns out it was the baby's ears! She had chronic fluid build up and needed tubes as a 0-3 month old. Once she had that done, completely different baby.

So maybe have her ears checked as well!

Good luck!

Last edited by sophiesmom; 08-22-14 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Auto correct--gah!
sophiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 07:38 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Definitely speak with your pediatrician. Your sweet baby may have colic. My son cried for almost the entire first year, but it was worse in the first 3-4 months. By a process of elimination I tried different formulas (I did not produce enough milk and the poor little guy was starving) until I found the right one which did not bother him. Even when things improved, he just seemed to be a miserable little child. As he grew and the more I was able to introduce rice cereal, oatmeal, jarred baby foods, etc., it got better and better. I'll never understand it - but things drastically improved by six months and by one year, he was the sweetest, happiest baby and after all that hollering, he grew up to be a very quiet and introspective person.

Also, how is she in the diaper rash department? Sometimes babies can be very sore before actual rash appears. You have my sympathies - give the nurse at the pediatrician's office a call and let us know.
Pat, this was my son too! He screamed and cried the first 3 months of his life. We could not figure it out. I tried many forumulas (I also could not produce enough milk) and finally found one that worked (Nursoy). He was a 9 lb baby and upon retrospection we figured out that the poor little guy was just hungry. The crying stopped once we introduced cereal. He was my first, so I had no idea he was hungry. He was gaining weight and was healthy... just a hungry boy.

I hope you can figure it out. Maybe try giving him some rice cereal. It was like a magic potion for us. Good luck!
Old 08-22-14, 07:43 AM  
upperwside

Oh my.. poor you and poor sweet baby. For sure see your pediatrician. My daughter at the same age would cry from 5pm till 12pm if not nursing (but not a full feeding.. gentle sucking and would not take a bottle or pacifier) .. but only lasted 3 months (called it her witching hours). I never watched so much TV or movies in my life.. or sat so much! Are you nursing or using formula? Some formulas can be an irritant to the developing digestive system. Have you tried long walks after a feeding during the day to get her to sleep? Good luck to you and your baby!
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 07:44 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

It does sound very much like colic, though my babies never had it I have heard from other moms. The pediatrician should definitely have some answers. Best of luck to you and your sweet babe.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 07:51 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Just want to say I feel for you. So hard to have a crying baby! My three were also hungry babies and I started them on a little bit of rice cereal in their bottles at about 5-6 weeks. But be sure to check with your pediatrician to make sure all is well, could be something else.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote