Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-14, 04:42 PM  
slysam

Related but slightly off topic: what do you look for in a fitness dvd blog review?

Hi, I just started (or re-started) posting my personal and workout blog. I am planning to review the dvd for one of my recent workouts on a regular basis. So my first attempt was Physique 57 Classic, Volume Two.

Here is a link to my recent attempt at a review: http://slysamgettingfit.blogspot.com...ic2review.html

That was my workout yesterday, before I started writing I made a list of what I would want to learn from a review. I am curious whether there are other topics I should have addressed. And also, I know many VF'ers have workout blogs and many VF'ers post wonderful reviews on the review section on this site and on other sites. I would love any tips on how you approach review writing. Reviews from VF (and to a lesser extent Amazon reviews) have made it so I generally only purchase workouts I will enjoy. But really, VF members seem to write the most insightful reviews and comments about workout DVDs.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 05:39 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I don't think it's off-topic at all. How else will we know about the DVDs we want to buy if we can't get good reviews?

I really like your review. I especially like the "what I liked" and "this workout may not be for you if..." sections. And, you gave a good background of the workout. And the summary format is good; whenever I haven't addressed the music, someone has asked.

The one thing I usually put in my reviews is a little about who I am and/or where I am in my workout life. It gives people something to compare themselves against in terms of my subsequent likes and dislikes. You did that a little and it's not totally necessary. I was just trying to come up with a suggestion since you asked. Good job!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 07:51 PM  
buffmama

I love comparisons to similar workouts and knowing which are harder and which are easier and how they are different. Breakdowns are nice if it's a strength workout and I want to write down weights used - but to determine if I want the workout it doesn't usually sway me.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 08:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I thought your review was very good too! Some blog reviews I've read tend to be very brief and overly complimentary (e.g., "you'll love this great workout")--you get the sense that the received the DVD for free to review and are only saying nice things.

But you included several things I try to include in my own reviews, such as total time of the workout, equipment needed, likes/dislikes, and who the audience might be. The only other things I tend to include would be a list of premixes (if any) and breakdowns of times for specific segments (e.g., "warmup = 5 mins."). But that's just me.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-14, 09:49 PM  
Eibhinn

First off, I like some detail. Particularly I want to know exactly what is on the DVD - one workout? several workouts? premixes? how long is each workout? are there any special features? what is the production quality like? what equipment do I need?

Second, I prefer reviews from someone with enough perspective to provide information that will actually help other people evaluate whether the workout is right for them - even if the person is a different fitness level, or has different preferences. Again, this often comes down to providing some detail as to what the workout contains, and it can be particularly helpful if the reviewer is knowledgeable enough to know what might be relevant to other exercisers (like something having a lot of jumping and twisting might not bother the reviewer, but might other people).

Third, I prefer reviews with some balance. If you like the workout, don't just gush about it: think about what might be a problem for other people. If you don't like the workout, don't just bash it: think about what specifically it is about it that you don't like, try to find the good in it if it's there, and think about who it might be better suited for. Again, this comes down to providing some detail (I'm a broken record on that one - I hate short reviews that just say "I hated this workout" or "I loved this workout" and don't even bother tell you why!)

I personally don't need to see a move-by-move breakdown of the workout, as some VFers do, but I definitely want to hear a basic summary of what the workout contains. I also do want to hear opinion, particularly if paired with an explanation of where you're coming from. Some reviews are just neutral summaries and I don't find that particularly helpful either. I can just read the back of the box for that.

You seem to have done great with all of these factors - good job!
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 12:01 AM  
slysam

Thanks for the feedback and ideas--that was really helpful!
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 05:33 AM  
Demeris

The first thing I look for is the amount of impact. With my knees, I need no impact or reasonable modification with a modifier showing how it's done.

In fact, I skim reviews to find the impact info. If it's high impact and no mention of modification, I stop reading.

BTW--I really liked your blog.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 08:46 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Third, I prefer reviews with some balance. If you like the workout, don't just gush about it: think about what might be a problem for other people. If you don't like the workout, don't just bash it: think about what specifically it is about it that you don't like, try to find the good in it if it's there, and think about who it might be better suited for. Again, this comes down to providing some detail (I'm a broken record on that one - I hate short reviews that just say "I hated this workout" or "I loved this workout" and don't even bother tell you why!)
This. I don't know you, and I don't know if I'll like the same workouts you do, so you need to tell me your reasons - and they might lead me to different conclusions. (If you say the choreography of a cardio workout is too simple, that'll get me interested in it! ) In addition, and for the same reasons, be careful about using subjective terms like "fun", "easy" or "hard", "simple" or "complex", "good music", "pleasant personality". If you use them, tell me what those things mean to *you*, because they might be very different for me.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 09:07 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura S. View Post

The one thing I usually put in my reviews is a little about who I am and/or where I am in my workout life. It gives people something to compare themselves against in terms of my subsequent likes and dislikes. You did that a little and it's not totally necessary. I was just trying to come up with a suggestion since you asked. Good job!
This is so true and very helpful for me. If I see in a review that someone mentions doing Insanity and P90X when not running half marathons and Crossfit on the same day, I will probably avoid any workouts they say are "too hard".
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 01:15 PM  
Maryan, Paris
VF Supporter

I like to know if there's complex choreography or high impact (two things I always avoid).
If the instructor has a disagreeable voice, it helps me avoid the video as well.
And I am also interested exactly what kind of music is featured in the workout and where it was shot (I love great scenery).

As others have mentionned, it is very useful to know the fitness level and tastes of the reviewer.
Maryan, Paris is offline   Reply With Quote