Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-20-14, 10:17 AM  
yahoo205

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzD4svzG9js Is this the one you are talking about?

Also, can anyone recommend more dynamic Qi Gong with more motion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted zebra View Post
For qigong content there are several I like off the beaten track.

My favorite multi-program set is by Shirsha Marie, as she has the most varied movements and qigong styles that I've seen in a set of 6 dvds (also available as video downloads). There isn't as much repetition from one dvd to the next as I've seen elsewhere (like with Lee). She could have made more money making more dvds if she repeated movements and mixed styles, but I like the authenticity and focus of her set.

For a single dvd I enjoy the diverse mix of 18 movements demonstrated by Shawn Phillips on his Healthy Qigong dvd which is based on Michael Tse's Qigong for Health & Vitality book. I like that both Shirsha and Shawn come from martial arts backgrounds. I think in both cases it shows in the movement sets they've selected, in Shirsha's case specifically for her students initially looking to balance their martial arts training without taking excessive time away from their other training. Both instructors are easy to follow.

As for free Youtube qigong clips, one of my favorites is a set of 14 movements demonstrated by Keiko Murakumo which doesn't include instruction, just music. They're also easy to follow. (Her instructions are in a book she wrote plus her dvds). The full 14 movement set is divided into 4 mini Youtube clips starting at the link below. All 14 movements are meant to be done in one session which is just under 20 mins (maybe 17 mins altogether?). The visuals on Youtube are a bit blurry unfortunately but still easy enough to make out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnXE...BT7vxmFCFba9nX

My favorite online qigong course is a series of videoclips by John Munro, an instructor in New Zealand who has a good understanding of how energy works. I like his 20 minute Between Heaven and Earth set, along with several others of his.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRG...TVoZselCwBlsxg

All qigong in general is meant to get the body more into balance.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 02:27 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Lee Holden fan here: my favorite is Moving Meditation. Just got this a few weeks ago, so have done it only a handful of times, but it leaves me relaxed, calm & centered like nothing else!

I also enjoy the Extended PM routine on 7 Minutes of Magic, Upper Back, Low Back, Deep Sleep & Stress. I don't always do the entire routine; I've found there are usually natural potential stopping points after 10-15 minutes, helpful for when I'm short on time. Not sure if Lee designed them to be used like that, but it works for me.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 02:45 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
Also, can anyone recommend more dynamic Qi Gong with more motion?
Three of my more dynamic qigong workouts:

Petra Kolber's Breathe I and Breathe II -- I don't do these very often because the TIFTTing annoys me, but you're definitely always moving!

Dr. Jerry Alan Johnson's Chi Kung: The Healing Workout -- one segment in particular has a cardio effect. A special feature of this DVD is a qigong tutorial--one of the best I've come across.

Francesco and Daisy Lee-Garripoli's Qigong: Beginning Practice. There's an 18-minute all-motion segment involving mostly arms and shoulders and to some extent the core. Love this upper body workout!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 10:16 AM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
Three of my more dynamic qigong workouts:

Petra Kolber's Breathe I and Breathe II -- I don't do these very often because the TIFTTing annoys me, but you're definitely always moving!

Dr. Jerry Alan Johnson's Chi Kung: The Healing Workout -- one segment in particular has a cardio effect. A special feature of this DVD is a qigong tutorial--one of the best I've come across.

Francesco and Daisy Lee-Garripoli's Qigong: Beginning Practice. There's an 18-minute all-motion segment involving mostly arms and shoulders and to some extent the core. Love this upper body workout!

Thanks. Can anyone else recommend more dynamic Qi Gong?
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 10:33 AM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Thanks. Can anyone else recommend more dynamic Qi Gong?
I think Scott Cole's pseudo Tai Chi routines probably are the most dynamic.
There was a BodyMix Aero-chi series which were good too but OOP
(VHS are on amazon but I bought the dvd with both routines while it was still in stores)
ETA: Also Nia is a dance and martial arts fusion

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 02:11 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsemom2 View Post
I think Scott Cole's pseudo Tai Chi routines probably are the most dynamic.
There was a BodyMix Aero-chi series which were good too but OOP
(VHS are on amazon but I bought the dvd with both routines while it was still in stores)
ETA: Also Nia is a dance and martial arts fusion

Barb S
Oh, yes--I remember Aero-chi! I once had the DVD Barb mentions. I sold it because the intensity was a little too high for what I wanted from a chi workout, and as I recall it required more floor space than I had at the time. But it might be what you're looking for, Yahoo--if you can find it, and if you have the floor space.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 08:55 AM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotted zebra View Post
You're welcome! He's the real deal.

I gave half of my Lee Holden dvds away. The ones I kept I seldom pull out anymore. But they were a great starting point in the old days.
Still not the OP, but I had to thankyou again for posting about John Munro!! (Long white Cloud Qigong). This is starting me on a whole new journey and I am so excited! He has some great courses, and I wrote to him asking which were best for working around my health and surgeries, etc, and he was quick to respond and advise me. Thankyou so much!

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-14, 10:24 PM  
spotted zebra

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzD4svzG9js Is this the one you are talking about?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
Still not the OP, but I had to thankyou again for posting about John Munro!! (Long white Cloud Qigong). This is starting me on a whole new journey and I am so excited! He has some great courses, and I wrote to him asking which were best for working around my health and surgeries, etc, and he was quick to respond and advise me. Thankyou so much!
Glad to hear it. That's so cool.
spotted zebra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detox, garipolli, lee holden, lee holden favorites, lymphatic system, qi gong