Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear

Old 11-24-04, 01:50 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Angry Ideas re: MP3 players? I hate my Rio!

I checked out threads here several months ago re: MP3 players and ended up getting a Rio Cali.

I love the armband design, but the software is terrible. I get frequent errors that make it difficult/impossible to swap out the music on the player, and Rio's tech support has been quite unhelpful.

So....I'm in the market for a new MP3 player. I use it while I run, so it's gotta be well-suited to that kind of use.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

TIA...

Lucy
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 01:54 PM  
Lyzza350

Well let me please say that although the apple is very popular it is also very expensive. The nomad 30 gig mp player is going for 188 and that is less expensive then the smallest apple ipod. I got a nomad a while back and it works great.
Old 11-24-04, 01:54 PM  
Lianne
VF Supporter

Well, I say there is a very good reason why apple has over 90% of the portable music player market. Get and ipod or an ipod mini - you won't be disappointed.
Old 11-24-04, 02:05 PM  
gelfling
VF Supporter

Thumbs up iPod

Hi Lucy,
I can heartily recommend an iPod. They do cost more than a lot of mp3 players but they were designed with runners in mind as well as music listeners. The sound quality is very good, as is the build quality. It's light enough to use while practising yoga and I find it very versatile. It works well on the PC and the Mac and has some very nice accessories. Now that the photo iPod is available, the previous models have dropped in price. I have a 2nd generation iPod which I've had for just over 2 years and have not had any problems with it. I find it indispensible and would not consider any other mp3 player now. It also syncs nicely with my Mac and my mobile phone. You will need either a USB 2.0 or Firewire connection on your computer. If you have both, I recommend using Firewire over USB. It also doubles up as an external hard disk if you enable it.

Have a look at www.ipod.com to view screenshots and tech specs. www.ipodlounge.com has a wealth of information including support and user forums. I think CompUSA offers iPods for less than buying from Apple direct.
ATB,
- Lisa
Old 11-24-04, 02:20 PM  
boakley
VF Supporter

Another Suggestion

I have a Samsung Yepp YP-T5 model. If you are used to dragging and dropping files on your PC in Windows Explorer or similar file management app, you'll find it a breeze. I love it. I plug it in, drag and drop, unplug and go - FROM ANY PC (I've used my Dad's HP Desktop with XP, my Laptop with 2000, and my home PC with ME). It has FM tuner and voice recorder too.

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 02:55 PM  
vmelo

RCA Lyra

I got an RCA Lyra 128Megabytes at Circuit City a couple of months ago. It's extremely easy to use and can store up to 2 hours of music (or more if I lower the bitstream). It comes with an armband and some really need earphones. I'm loving mine, and it only cost me $69 (it was on sale).
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-04, 06:38 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Great suggestions!

Thanks, everyone - it sounds like there are good alternatives to my Rio at a bunch of different price points!

Lucysql
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 04:35 AM  
Malcemar

I'd go with an ipod mini. I love mine so much. The itunes music software that it uses is rather use friendly. ( I'm REALLY computer challenged, and it only took me two days to figure out. ) I had the second generation ipod that was 15gb, but the touch sensitive wheel annoyed the hell out of me, plus apple didn't make an arm band for that model, unlike the versatile and very runner friendly 4gb ipod mini model. I don't mean to gush on and on, but I use my ipd mini daily and...it's well worth the money I paid for it. I recently used it for a half marathon, and it held up great the whole way! You can't get much better than that, well...a full marathon...but i'm not ready just yet for that. Good luck on picking something.
Malcemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-04, 11:13 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I vote for the iPod mini. I don't really use it for music. I have all my yoga and meditation CDs on it. The calendar function syncs up wirh iCal on my Mac. It *is* pricey, but worth it to me. The battery life is shoerter on the mini, so you have to keep it charged up.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote