Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-04-15, 11:24 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

What's old is new again...my Stairmaster is 25 years old and Powerhour Cathe

Hi Everyone!

I've been reading threads about how some of us are overwhelmed with the abundance of choices out there lately.

My workout yesterday was 40 minutes on my Stairmaster followed by Cathe's Powerhour.

I got my Stairmaster PT when my first son was born. He turns 25 in a couple of months! Can I tell you that it still gets used by someone in the family at least a couple of times per week?It was expensive at the time, but totally worth the $$ and still going strong!

Long gone are my cardio exclusive workouts that led me to buy the Stairmaster in the first place, but I'm having an ankle problem which has me doing low impact cardio, avoiding plyo moves or doing anything that requires prolonged ankle stability (Tonique).

My Stairmaster provided a great sweat, and Cathe's Powerhour was fun and effective with some increased weight adjustments and subbing in P90X3 weight core work.

My Stairmaster kept me in shape while I was having babies, and Cathe has given me the muscles that are keeping me strong as I enter my 50's.

If you are overwhelmed, go back to what worked for you in the beginning...it may feel brand new again!
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 01:03 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Great post! And it makes a lot of sense. I just recently started doing some of the Classic Firms (on DVD now) and they really are great workouts and work me good.
summer breeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 02:14 PM  
joanna33

Love classic cathe and classic firms
Old 03-04-15, 03:42 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I have to hand it to you if you can do the stairmaster along with all those squats and lunges in Power Hour. I used to like PH a lot. In fact I think I'll pull it out tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.
Old 03-04-15, 05:14 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

What's old is recently new again for me, too. I did Christi Taylor's Step Heaven the other day (after what seems like years) and actually got teary eyed as it all came back to me. Even though my brain was nervous anticipating the new moves, my body remembered most of the choreography and did pretty well.

That got me all excited and nostalgic and I re-purchased all my fave early Cathe step workouts, as well as Power Hour/MIS/Body Max and Pure Strength.

It gets a little pricey when what's old becomes new again.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 06:12 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Yup, I have a 25 y old stairmaster too! I was using it all summer after rotator cuff surgery watching the entire 4 season of Game of Thrones on it.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 06:57 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

It IS fun to rediscover the joy of old workouts. It's not the case that the limited number of choices we had back in the early days of video(tape) fitness meant lesser quality; there are some old gems that stand the test of time.

I've been doing the same ol' cardio for a few months, then pulled out Step Jam last week. I had SO MUCH FUN doing choreographed step and my body remembered about 85% of the moves, though it's been at least eight years since I did that workout. Step Heat's up next!

Last edited by athompson10; 03-04-15 at 06:58 PM. Reason: clarity
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 08:28 PM  
momof10

Wow, Christi's Step Heaven was one of my favorite step workouts. I remember it having 3 sections. Wasn't one of them with the step vertical. I always loved Christi's step workouts. Cathe 's old step, too, that brings back the memories. I loved Step Jam and when she mimicked strumming the banjo. Step Heat was a favorite of mine, too. I can still see Cathe in her two piece outfit looking so cute. Another one I loved was Power Max. It makes me want to pull them our again. I might just do that. They are the oldies, but the goodies for sure.

Cheryl
Old 03-04-15, 08:37 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Stage 2 of Step Heaven had the step vertical. Seriously, I consider mastering that section one of the biggest accomplishments of my life.

The 2 Cathe DVDs I bought have Step Heat, Step Max, Step Jam, Step Works, Step Fit and Power Max. Can't wait to do them again. Not sure why I got rid of them.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 09:18 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Stage 2 of Step Heaven had the step vertical. Seriously, I consider mastering that section one of the biggest accomplishments of my life.

The 2 Cathe DVDs I bought have Step Heat, Step Max, Step Jam, Step Works, Step Fit and Power Max. Can't wait to do them again. Not sure why I got rid of them.
It was the third stage when she used the weights, right? I forgot about Step Fit and Step Works. I can still see the covers of the VHS tapes. LOL. I shouldn't have forgotten about Step Works because I was doing that workout when my sister called me to tell me my mom died, which will be 16 years this August. It was rough for me and I will never forget that. I was doing the stretch. Cathe has the best warm ups and stretches.

Cheryl

Tags
dustbunny, old workouts, older workouts, oldies but goodies, vintage workouts