Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-15, 05:28 PM  
msu

Horizontal Conditioning Vetrans

I thought I might poll some folks who have experience with Horizontal Conditioning. I have her original DVDs which have sat with other unused DVDs for a while, but I thought they might make a tough, but welcome break from heavy lifting in a few months after I am done with this pregnancy. I understand HoCo is very core-centric. This had always been my weak spot. Is it too core focused? Am I likely to need to add in some upper body weights to have a rounded sort of program? I read when I searched previous threads that it is very push-up oriented, so chest seems to be covered, but I wondered about other areas since it is primarily body weight. I'm not heaven's gift to push-ups, but thought after reading her fuel+fitness book that I should give HoCo a true chance once I'm cleared to work out again to try to motivate me to get back in normal shape. Sometimes lots of heavy lifting is tiring and I feel like I will be tired enough. Also, if anyone also has experience with Ballet Body, do you feel that BB could be complimentary to HoCo if I somehow put it together in a rotation since both are primarily body weight programs or would that be overkill? I would love to do BBPS 1 or BBPS 2 and have all the downloads, but honestly, that has always been too much of a time commitment, as I have a lot of children. Thanks in advance for any and all responses!
msu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 06:00 PM  
momof10

I did HoCo for over a year and loved it. It is quite shoulder intensive, too, not just chest. It is core/oblique intensive also. These are the only workouts I have done that have a warning on the dvds to not do more than 3 times a week. I did it every other day for a while and my shoulders couldn't take that. I got quite good at the workouts and got quite a bit of endurance with them. I have all of Year 1 and Year 2 Hardcore and the 101s. I am half way through Year 3 of the Hardcore. Sandra stopped making the 101s. I also have her Volumes 1-4 and Bootcamp. She works your legs quite well, too. I think if you are limited in time, I would do just HoCo or just Ballet Body.

I love BB, too. They would compliment HoCo. That being said I think you could make an awesome rotation with Ballet Body with very limited time, too. I understand about having a lot of children since I have 10 children.

If you need any ideas on how to put a rotation together for one or the other of even both, let me know, and I will help you if you give me a time frame and how many days a week.

Cheryl
Old 03-02-15, 08:00 PM  
hotncmom

I've got a few HoCo videos (the two beginner ones and one of the more advanced ones), and for whatever reason, they just didn't click with me, although in theory I love what she's doing.

I'm starting back over with Ballet Body again. I haven't ever had time to complete the BBPS1 because of time and wanting more variety, but I had the best body I've had since I was young when I was doing BB regularly, so I'm doing it again.

The way I do a Ballet Body rotation is I will pick one upper body mat segment and one lower body segment per day. Each day is a different emphasis. So on Day 1 I do a shoulder-based mat segment paired with a glute segment. On Day 2 I do a tricep-based mat segment paired with a thigh segment. If I have more time, I will add in a light weight segment (or do a combo mat/weight segment that day). On day 3, I mix it up with yoga or floorwork or a squat/weight type workout (I really like adding Brazil Butt Lift workouts in here, but right now I'm doing Jessica Smith lower body stuff instead. Day 4 is back to Ballet Body. So it's 2 days on, one day off.

So I just mix up the segments. There's a lot of upper body mat segments I've never done, or tried once and they're way too hard for me. I hope to one day build up to them.

Doing it this way instead of BBPS1 gives me plenty of time to walk. I need to walk for sanity and it helps me lose weight too.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 04:39 PM  
msu

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
I did HoCo for over a year and loved it. It is quite shoulder intensive, too, not just chest. It is core/oblique intensive also. These are the only workouts I have done that have a warning on the dvds to not do more than 3 times a week. I did it every other day for a while and my shoulders couldn't take that. I got quite good at the workouts and got quite a bit of endurance with them. I have all of Year 1 and Year 2 Hardcore and the 101s. I am half way through Year 3 of the Hardcore. Sandra stopped making the 101s. I also have her Volumes 1-4 and Bootcamp. She works your legs quite well, too. I think if you are limited in time, I would do just HoCo or just Ballet Body.

I love BB, too. They would compliment HoCo. That being said I think you could make an awesome rotation with Ballet Body with very limited time, too. I understand about having a lot of children since I have 10 children.

If you need any ideas on how to put a rotation together for one or the other of even both, let me know, and I will help you if you give me a time frame and how many days a week.

Cheryl
Thanks for such a thorough response. It really helps to know that HC is really shoulder focused as well, as I have a right rotator cuff/deltoid area that is sort of my chronic spot for injury. Most of the time it's fine as long as I'm careful, but if one my children is trying to run away in a parking lot and I have to really hold on or if I carry a bag that is overloaded on that shoulder it flares up again and takes a while to heal. It could be that BB might be a better option. I already know that I love her downloads. They are tough, but for some reason the dread factor isn't really there. They are just crazy challenging in a good way, even though there are no heavy weights. My pre-motherhood days saw me working out an hour and a half to two hours a day. I really enjoyed it. But when I became a mom eleven years ago, it became a lot tougher to get any time in. I have maintained a six day a week early morning schedule, but most days I only manage thirty to sixty minutes. Usually I have done cardio three days a week and weights or kettlebells three days a week and during the last year 20 minutes at the end of that has been Classical Stretch as an extended sort of cool-down to combat some of the tightness and aches from wrestling kids. My hats are off to you with ten children. If all goes well, we will have eight in a few months, but every child increases the work load exponentially. Ten children would be the parental equivalent of the Iron Man! I have tried to come up with shorter BB rotations before on paper, but always felt like I was falling short because her daily BBPS workouts are so long, so I always gave up and thought I would come back to it later when I wasn't so busy, which hasn't happened yet. Do you think combining upper/lower body segments certain days of the week and maybe alternating that with core/plank heavy segments other days of the week would work? Maybe if I tacked the core sort of segments on my cardio days it would allow me to get in a little more BB without making my body weight days longer than an hour? If I need to, I can try to modify or push the Classical Stretch to later in the day and see if that works so I can keep the hour in the morning for cardio and BB. I love CS, but I know that with each pregnancy it is harder and harder to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and to a reasonably close pre-pregancy shape. If you have any ideas, they would be welcome. Thanks!!!
Old 03-03-15, 05:02 PM  
msu

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I've got a few HoCo videos (the two beginner ones and one of the more advanced ones), and for whatever reason, they just didn't click with me, although in theory I love what she's doing.

I'm starting back over with Ballet Body again. I haven't ever had time to complete the BBPS1 because of time and wanting more variety, but I had the best body I've had since I was young when I was doing BB regularly, so I'm doing it again.

The way I do a Ballet Body rotation is I will pick one upper body mat segment and one lower body segment per day. Each day is a different emphasis. So on Day 1 I do a shoulder-based mat segment paired with a glute segment. On Day 2 I do a tricep-based mat segment paired with a thigh segment. If I have more time, I will add in a light weight segment (or do a combo mat/weight segment that day). On day 3, I mix it up with yoga or floorwork or a squat/weight type workout (I really like adding Brazil Butt Lift workouts in here, but right now I'm doing Jessica Smith lower body stuff instead. Day 4 is back to Ballet Body. So it's 2 days on, one day off.

So I just mix up the segments. There's a lot of upper body mat segments I've never done, or tried once and they're way too hard for me. I hope to one day build up to them.

Doing it this way instead of BBPS1 gives me plenty of time to walk. I need to walk for sanity and it helps me lose weight too.
It's great to hear that you have had such good results without having to commit to the full BBPS. I have always had such an all or nothing mentality about things that I never considered that it might work well as a modified routine. I also love that you are working in other types of exercise that you like. It would help decrease burn out. It seems like many instructors, when they put out their own rotations, be it Cathe, TA, etc., seem to want complete fidelity to their workouts and that is tough to stay excited about month after month. I also agree that walking does wonders for stress and mental health in general. I used to walk an hour a day and loved it. Since I've had kids and had to exercise so early, I felt like I had to switch to our elliptical or cardio HIIT dvds, neither of which I have enjoyed much and while I haven't gained weight over the years doing those, I also when not pregnant, am not any thinner than I was when I was able to walk. Maybe I will have to figure out a way to walk again for my cardio. Thanks again for your BB suggestions!
Old 03-03-15, 05:13 PM  
momof10

msu - If you have any shoulder issues, I wouldn't do HoCo at all. It is as much shoulder intensive as core intensive. Personally, I think BB is the best for you. I agree there is no dread factor with BB for me, either. HoCo can have a huge dread factor. I really love BB and it works so deeply in your muscles. I never followed Leah's rotation and I have all of her downloads. I pick and rotate them as I feel I need. I think you could do an upper body/ lower body one day and then focus on core the next day and do some cardio that day.

So, you are pregnant with your 8th and your oldest is 11. That's impressive. I had my first 41 years ago and my baby is 14. So, I was 18 with my first and then I had my last three at 41, 42 & 45. I did have my last 8 in 16 years. It's rough now that I am 59 and still have 5 boys at home. Raising kids for 41+ years is tougher as I get older.

Good luck with your BB rotation. If you need any help with which ones to combine just let me know. I have several favorites especially for my lower body.

Cheryl
Old 03-03-15, 06:51 PM  
neatski

You supermoms are so inspiring. I am just blown away by people who have multiple kids, let alone 8 or 10!! I have just one and she sucks up every ounce of my time and energy. I love her and wouldn't have it any other way, but I can't imagine how I would handle more. Granted, it's probably a little easier with two parents around.

Anyyyyway, OP, I did HoCo and Barre3 as my post partum rotation, and i liked it. Before my pregnancy, I was doing advanced and hardcore stuff, but throughout my second and third trimesters (did nothing in the first due to extreme morning sickness), I did almost exclusively barre because I couldn't tolerate higher impact stuff. Afterward, it was months before I wanted to do anything high impact, but after the first month, I started doing HoCo, and I think it did help build my strength back up. I have the four DVDs and Bootcamp, and a kind VFer lent me the entire 1st Hardcore Club. HoCo is very challenging without being high impact, and it really does hit the core, which is going to be a weak spot after pregnancy.

That said... I enjoyed the HoCo 101s (30 minute workouts) a lot more than the full length DVDs, which felt unnecessarily long and repetitive to me. Also, I only really started to lean out and look cut and strong once I started doing Barre3 during my lunch hour and went back to doing short, high intensity bodyweight stuff. I'm not sure why, but I am almost certain that it has more to do with consistency than anything else. HoCos were long and arduous, and I couldn't muster the energy to do them more than a few times per week. Since I shortened my workouts, I have been more consistent about working out than I was even perhaps prior to pregnancy.

Summary: I'd recommend the HoCo 101s over the full length workouts for the ease of consistency and building up. They are by no means easy.

Also, side note, beware if you have abdominal separation, as all the core work in HoCo probably is not the best choice for that. Barre3 was much more easily modifiable to accommodate my weaker core until I built up again.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 04:36 PM  
msu

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
msu - If you have any shoulder issues, I wouldn't do HoCo at all. It is as much shoulder intensive as core intensive. Personally, I think BB is the best for you. I agree there is no dread factor with BB for me, either. HoCo can have a huge dread factor. I really love BB and it works so deeply in your muscles. I never followed Leah's rotation and I have all of her downloads. I pick and rotate them as I feel I need. I think you could do an upper body/ lower body one day and then focus on core the next day and do some cardio that day.

So, you are pregnant with your 8th and your oldest is 11. That's impressive. I had my first 41 years ago and my baby is 14. So, I was 18 with my first and then I had my last three at 41, 42 & 45. I did have my last 8 in 16 years. It's rough now that I am 59 and still have 5 boys at home. Raising kids for 41+ years is tougher as I get older.

Good luck with your BB rotation. If you need any help with which ones to combine just let me know. I have several favorites especially for my lower body.

Cheryl
Thanks so much for the BB advice and encouragement! Just trying to wrap my head around 41+ years of parenting is tiring and inspiring all at the same time! I have five boys and two girls right now and the boys definitely wear me out faster than the girls. Being in such good shape has to help you manage your five boys at home. I think I will give give BB a full whirl once June hits and will just have to admire Sandra from afar unless my shoulder problem makes a permanent turn-around, which doesn't seem likely. Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-04-15, 04:53 PM  
msu

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
You supermoms are so inspiring. I am just blown away by people who have multiple kids, let alone 8 or 10!! I have just one and she sucks up every ounce of my time and energy. I love her and wouldn't have it any other way, but I can't imagine how I would handle more. Granted, it's probably a little easier with two parents around.

Anyyyyway, OP, I did HoCo and Barre3 as my post partum rotation, and i liked it. Before my pregnancy, I was doing advanced and hardcore stuff, but throughout my second and third trimesters (did nothing in the first due to extreme morning sickness), I did almost exclusively barre because I couldn't tolerate higher impact stuff. Afterward, it was months before I wanted to do anything high impact, but after the first month, I started doing HoCo, and I think it did help build my strength back up. I have the four DVDs and Bootcamp, and a kind VFer lent me the entire 1st Hardcore Club. HoCo is very challenging without being high impact, and it really does hit the core, which is going to be a weak spot after pregnancy.

That said... I enjoyed the HoCo 101s (30 minute workouts) a lot more than the full length DVDs, which felt unnecessarily long and repetitive to me. Also, I only really started to lean out and look cut and strong once I started doing Barre3 during my lunch hour and went back to doing short, high intensity bodyweight stuff. I'm not sure why, but I am almost certain that it has more to do with consistency than anything else. HoCos were long and arduous, and I couldn't muster the energy to do them more than a few times per week. Since I shortened my workouts, I have been more consistent about working out than I was even perhaps prior to pregnancy.

Summary: I'd recommend the HoCo 101s over the full length workouts for the ease of consistency and building up. They are by no means easy.

Also, side note, beware if you have abdominal separation, as all the core work in HoCo probably is not the best choice for that. Barre3 was much more easily modifiable to accommodate my weaker core until I built up again.
Thank you for the Barre 3 recommendation and your take on HoCo. I don't know if I have abdominal separation or not, but my abs are BY FAR my weakest link. Fortunately, I have only had one c-section, which was a couple of pregnancies ago, but I feel it didn't help me much in that area. I may very well branch out and mix in some Barre 3. I know from reading your posts over the years that your wouldn't recommend it unless it was truly effective and that you don't shy away from difficult workouts that produce results. Leah Sarago has really enjoyable barre workouts, but she has sort of dropped off the radar as far as putting any new material out and Barre 3 sounds good to me. I dabbled in P57 a year or so ago and couldn't get into it because it was so fast paced that I didn't feel like I got nearly as much benefit out of it. I will look into Barre 3 streaming, since that seems to be the more popular than the dvds. Thanks for sharing your post-partum methods of success. It takes a lot of dedication to work full-time, be a mom, and still work out not only after work but on your lunch hour. Admiration runs both ways!
Old 03-04-15, 06:37 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by msu View Post
Thanks so much for the BB advice and encouragement! Just trying to wrap my head around 41+ years of parenting is tiring and inspiring all at the same time! I have five boys and two girls right now and the boys definitely wear me out faster than the girls. Being in such good shape has to help you manage your five boys at home. I think I will give give BB a full whirl once June hits and will just have to admire Sandra from afar unless my shoulder problem makes a permanent turn-around, which doesn't seem likely. Thanks again for your help!
So, you have 5 boys and 2 girls, wow, well, we have 7 boys and 3 girls. When we had 5 children, we had 3 girls and 2 boys, then the last five were all boys. Hence, those are the ones that are home with us now.

Cheryl

Tags
hoco, horizontal conditioning