Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-15, 03:15 PM  
PhyllisG

I basically stick with rotations. I did a P57 challenge. Also 21 DY Fix,. Then moved on to Sadie Lincoln 28 Day. I am just finishing FeFit Challenge. Next up is Suzanne Bowen and then probably back to 21 Day Fix.
I followed the Firm rotations for years and after that Cathes monthly rotations. Now I change up instructors. I know what I don't like...kettle bells, heavy weights, hi impact cardio. I take breaks in between and follow Ellen for a week or two.
I like not having to decide what to do each day and have found I get better results when I stick to a specific program.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 03:50 PM  
momof10

I agree with Carb, too. My mainstay has been Tonique for 6 years now. I never have swayed from Tonique. I will add in other workouts, like Ballet Body, some Cathe here and there and kickboxing, but I always do Tonique. I had subscriptions to many streaming places and got rid of all of them, but Cathe's. I am very, very happy with Tonique with not only the physical results, but the mental results I get from it. It's my happy day workout. I always smile when I do it and always say to myself as I am doing it, "I love this so much". Tonique is what got my strength back after my total hip replacement. People can hardly believe I had a hip replacement. They always say I walk so quickly and move so fast and I attribute that to Tonique. So, if it's weights for you, do your tried and true weights and add in something else.

Cheryl
Old 03-02-15, 04:32 PM  
lesia

I know this feeling all too well!

For March my mainstay workouts (3 times weekly) is Bob's Black Fire. I wanted to add in 21 Day Fix Extreme, and I did 4 of the workouts....but then my Jillian BodyShred is coming on Wednesday.

I may just stay with BlackFire + Body Revolution to get stronger with Jillian's workouts. I will then transition into BodyShred.

That's the plan for now. We'll see.

Lesia
lesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 04:32 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Well, when I had to pick a color for my new yoga mat I felt overwhelmed. But especially with working out I am grateful for all the choices. But sometimes I get caught up in the indecision, then I pick what I want and see how it goes. Starting last September, I used this strategy, and months later I discovered I need to just do my PT. But I don't think I would have arrived at this idea without having had all those choices to go through. Now I am something to look forward to (because if all I had to look forward to was avoidance of pain, it would just be too depressing.)

And honestly, choices isn't the problem...its the indecision and not knowing ourselves that is. I can go to a restaurant, have exactly two things on the menu that I can eat, and not be able to make up my mind!
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 05:30 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carb8985 View Post
I can relate to the feeling for sure. What works for me is choosing different focuses for each month. I'm of the view that you can't really fit everything in every week without watering down the methods that you are doing and your results. In other words, you can't do barre, strength, yoga, endurance, dancing, HIIT, etc. each 1x/week and get anything out of it. I know some people do this, but I prefer to stick to two or maybe three methods at a time.
I was going to say the exact same thing! Nice to see so many of us with the same system.

I actually love all the choice, and years ago I decided never to feel guilty about buying/trying new workout DVDs--anything to keep me motivated to pursue a healthy habit! But I've also discovered that I am actually less motivated if I'm bouncing around doing whatever workout strikes my fancy on a given day. I need a rotation, a focus, a plan for a month or six weeks or so, in order to feel like I'm pursuing something effectively. I like to see myself progress, to improve my form, bang out more reps or run a little farther or make it all the way through a tough set of whatever. And because I am always tempted by the New! And Shiny!! , planning my *next* focus/rotation keeps me motivated, too. This month my focus is very unusual for me: I'm working through all my virgin DVDs. I hope to discover something I want to stick with for a few weeks/months!

I think Carb's suggestion of Mainstay+ is really good. My mainstay for the past year or so has been running, but I've worked in other things around it (Running + Classical Stretch, Running + Firm Express... running + straight strength). It means you always get the joy of the familiar and beloved, plus the challenge of something new. Best of both worlds!!
Old 03-02-15, 05:43 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
I actually love all the choice, and years ago I decided never to feel guilty about buying/trying new workout DVDs--anything to keep me motivated to pursue a healthy habit! But I've also discovered that I am actually less motivated if I'm bouncing around doing whatever workout strikes my fancy on a given day. I need a rotation, a focus, a plan for a month or six weeks or so, in order to feel like I'm pursuing something effectively. I like to see myself progress, to improve my form, bang out more reps or run a little farther or make it all the way through a tough set of whatever. And because I am always tempted by the New! And Shiny!! , planning my *next* focus/rotation keeps me motivated, too.
Yes. This is exactly how I feel. Except I would say I need to go at least 4 weeks with a rotation, and at most 5 weeks. It weird...but somehow that 6th week makes me crazy on a rotation.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 08:01 PM  
Mandy

I found these older threads helpful. I'm still struggling with too many choices too and not enough time. I'm on a no buy challenge. I don't know how long it will last..haha

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=195014

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=195304
Old 03-02-15, 09:38 PM  
millie

I have also struggled with my thyroid and know how difficult it is to get back to working out and deciding what is right. How about committing to something for 3 weeks? And then on to the next until you can decide where you want to focus.
millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 12:41 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I do my workouts in seasons. Each one lasts about three months. I will have a season of Pilates, a season of weight training, a season of video cardio, a season of outdoor cardio etc.
Old 03-03-15, 11:27 PM  
danac99

I don't really have a rotation of specific workouts, but I sort of have a rotation based on workout type, if that makes sense . For example, right now my goals are 5 cardio workouts and 3 weight workouts during the week. I then fill those slots with what I feel like doing that day. One day my cardio may be Leslie + a step workout, one day cardio may be Turbo Jam, etc. My weight workouts are usually KCM or the Firm.

I guess what I'm getting at is when I focus on what I want to do at a high level (5 cardio, 3 weight), I don't really feel overwhelmed, and by filling the slot with what I feel like doing each day, I appreciate all the different choices I have.

I know by doing it that way, I can't really gauge progress very well, because my workouts can be different each day. My focus right now is staying motivated and being consistent with a loose rotation.

ETA: also meant to add that weekends are pretty flexible. I usually do some longer stretching workouts or I might try a virgin workout.
danac99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fit it all in