Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-13, 09:57 AM  
Yelly

What is it about Kettlebells that are so darn fun?

I'm am doing and LOVING the Skogg program. I thought just 6 moves would be boring - no way, not at all! I am almost obsessed with them, they are so fun

Here's what I love (not just in general, but also the Skogg system in particular):
I love that instead of engaging your brain so much with constantly learning new moves, you can focus on the basics, and focus your brain on perfecting them. Every week I can watch my improvements in form, and it's so exciting.

I love that you get cardio and strength at the same time.

I love that it's all about technique, so you really never stop learning and improving.

I just love that it's different, and adds variety to my routine.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Why do YOU love your bells???
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-13, 10:41 AM  
buttons11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Why do YOU love your bells???
I totally agree with you ms kaia

I also love how I can feel that I am using my whole body in these moves...
the connectedness during the movements just feels empowering
especially as I feel & see progress

and I lurve what KB has done for my core...double kettlebell training is amazing for this...works muscles all the way under my ribcage all the way down, oh and the obliques are NOT forgotten

double KB rack squats has done awesome things for my glutes and hip stabilization...my SI joint pain is mostly a memory...

The cardio component is no joke. I've been out of training for 3 weeks due to asthma. But my awesome trainer has agreed to meet me once I'm better to set a plan to modify my workouts so that I can moderate the cardio component in a way that I can still optimize my strength gains

Yes I kettlebells...I'll stop gushing now
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-13, 10:43 AM  
bayportsmom

I totally agree! One of my favorite things with the swinging moves (swing, high pull, snatch), is that I feel like I'm almost stretching but strengthening at the same time. Is that considered ballistic stretching?

Yesterday I did AOS firepower, and even though there was only ONE ab move (Russian twist), my entire core is sore today.

I especially love skogg's warm ups and cool downs, and I really feel like skogg "fixed" my shoulders that were constantly bothering me.

I love the non impact cardio effect. I recently received peakfit in a trade, did 2 workouts and loved them, but almost immediately aggravated an old foot injury

If only I had bigger hands, so I could grip the heavier bells. That is the only downside for me, after skogg's "flow", my hands hurt worse than anything, and my forearms would be numb for an hour!

I absolutely love skogg, and kettlebells in general.
bayportsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-13, 10:43 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I love that I get cardio and strength done in one short, effective workout

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-13, 10:49 AM  
Yelly

Ooh I can add another one:

I LOVE barefoot workouts!!!!!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-13, 10:50 AM  
buttons11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
Ooh I can add another one:

I LOVE barefoot workouts!!!!!
oh yeah...THIS...I'm spoiled now
I put on shoes a few weeks ago to do a step workout and my totsies were NOT happy
"The secret to change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new" Socrates NOT the Greek one, Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book that Changes Lives by Dan Millman, 1984

"Do not let the behavior of others destroy your inner peace" Dalai Lama

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." Earl Nightingale

Still training to outrun the zombies buttons
buttons11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-13, 11:16 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I'm so on-again-off-again with kettlebells, but lately I've been on-again because my gym has a big set of kettlebells and I have to do a set of power exercises in the middle of each NROL for Life workout. So I started by doing a set of swings, but lately I've been adding snatches. I snatched a 30-pounder the other day

So I agree about the combination of cardio, strength, flexibility, fun and the ability of kettlebells to make even older folks like me feel strong.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-13, 11:41 AM  
Yoyogirl72

I love kettlebells too and I love the Skogg system. Love being barefoot and that my feet never have to leave the floor. Love that it is continuous movement and I don't have to keep changing weight/equipment. It makes me feel powerful. I love that it's full body cardio and weights in one. And you get stronger fast. Kettlebells make me feel athletic. Not much of a dread factor with these workouts. Hmmmm I'll probably think of more reasons....
Yoyogirl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-13, 11:49 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

To me using kettlebells are the most empowering form of exercising. I feel like on the top of the world after a nice and dynamic workout. An there is always room to grow!

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-13, 11:57 AM  
kat_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by macska View Post
To me using kettlebells are the most empowering form of exercising. I feel like on the top of the world after a nice and dynamic workout. An there is always room to grow!
This! Every time I think "I should try X because everyone is talking about it" my workouts derail and kettlebells bring me back aboard. They make me feel like I am a gymnast again: strong, flexible and athletic. And they look good on me.
kat_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell, skogg