Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-21, 09:48 PM  
Vantreesta

Having a mirror in workout space

So to clarify I do mean a normal look-at-yourself-in-the-mirror type of mirror, not The Mirror. I have the opportunity to get a free 5'x3' mirror for free. I always thought it could be nice to have mirror in my gym so I could check my form. But if I take it, it will cover up part of the paint I love so much in my gym (two walls are orange, one is olive green and one is chocolate brown )! So I'm trying to decide if would be worth having. Anyone with opinions on pros and cons, if you have one do you actually use it for form checks, any thoughts in general would be appreciated! Thanks!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 10:36 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i like having one. we only have a mirror in the family room and it unfortunately is waist high and up, so if you install one, have it visible from the ground so that you can see yourself doing floor or supine work.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 10:48 PM  
Vantreesta

Thanks, Jeanine! That's a good reminder!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 11:05 PM  
edensmom

I no longer have a mirror in my workout space but I used to and I loved it. We did mount it a few inches off the floor so I could see myself well. I like it to see my form because sometimes what I *think* I am doing, I am not actually doing, lol..
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-21, 12:57 AM  
Helen

Try sitting it on the floor leaning against the wall for a while to try it out.
If you're not enamoured with it - pass it on.

I have two cheap cheval mirrors, so cheap everyone new comments "Those mirrors are very slimming!" As others have said - I use them to check form - what FEELS right isn't always what IS right.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-21, 06:35 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I have 4 tall mirrors leaning up against my wall. I check my form every day. They're invaluable!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-21, 07:56 AM  
muggle

I have mirrors covering most of the wall on 2 sides(caddy corner to each other). So if I'm standing in the middle of my room I can be facing 1 mirrored wall then look to my right and see myself there too. Then I have smaller mirrors on a 3rd wall (to my left), just leaning. When I first put them in....BAM definition in my upper body because I could see my form and what I was doing wrong! The reason I have so many is because my workout zen space is in my basement, so the mirrors are not covering anything nice, just concrete. I absolutely love having them. They've helped so much. If i don't want to see myself, I just back up...
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-21, 08:23 AM  
laurajhawk

My workout room used to be the master bedroom (my DH is AWESOME btw), and it has two large mirrored closet doors, so essentially a mirror wall. I do use them for occasional form checks. The mirror wall is perpendicular to the wall where the big TV is, and for workouts where I'm not facing the TV - I do a lot of yoga - it's often rather helpful to see the screen in the mirror, which was an unexpected benefit.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-21, 08:26 AM  
Leonana

I workout in my bedroom and only have my dresser mirror. I use it as much as I can. I’d love a full length mirror, but I don’t have a wall for it.
Old 04-16-21, 09:36 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I have two large mirrors on each side wall of my basement gym. I always face one of the mirrors while watching my tv via the mirror. Makes me feel like I’m actually working out with Cathe, lol!

The only time I face the tv is for step workouts because even I don’t want to see myself.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
workout rooms