Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-10, 04:01 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fschulman View Post
This DVD is easy to modify since much of the choregraphy were basic steps that could be modified with low impact version. My modifications:

1) two squat walks on floor, one on step with other leg following quickly for jumps along the step

2) fast feet for jumping jacks on the step

3) toe raises for jumping jacks on floor

4) I did the fast "five leg" repeater, but this could be modified with three lunges

I got an intense workout without the impact.

Are "toe raises" in #3 where you have your legs apart like you're going to do a jack, then just raise up on your toes instead? There's also a version where you actually do a jack, but you don't leave the ground, you just jump out to your toes (I saw that one on Denise Austin's Kickboxing workout.) Maybe that's your "toe raises?"

Also, I thought up a modification for "air jacks"--either do 1 legged air jacks with your arms circling or do "power pendulums." I have tried the 1 legged air jacks, they work fine, you can jump or just go on your toes. The "power pendulums" I haven't tried yet, so I don't really know if they will work count wise--you might have to do one for every two air jacks.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 05:11 PM  
fschulman

Toe Raises

[QUOTE=Jennifer P.;1471052]Are "toe raises" in #3 where you have your legs apart like you're going to do a jack, then just raise up on your toes instead? There's also a version where you actually do a jack, but you don't leave the ground, you just jump out to your toes (I saw that one on Denise Austin's Kickboxing workout.) Maybe that's your "toe raises?"

I do toe raises with my legs a few inches apart and lift my arms up and down as if I'm doing a jack. I learned that modification from Amy Bento DVDs. But I assume you can do it with your legs as wide as a jack. I think we are talking about the same thing, the only difference being how far apart the legs are. I like them closer because my balance is better and I get more intensity.
fschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 05:32 PM  
KathAL79

Jennifer, I might give power pendulums a try instead of air jacks - anything to cut down on the number of total jacks I do. I don't mind doing one for every two of Cathe does; that's become my most common modification for the moves in this series. I find I can do even some of the highest impact moves at half time.

Did I know a modifier was part of the original plans? It's been so long, and I don't follow Cathe's forum, blog, Twitter, Facebook, and email newsletter (which aren't as effectively used as they could be, IMHO), so it's hard to say. I don't think I paid close attention until it became rather clear there wasn't going to be one full time.
I also suspect there will be backlash from slowing down the workout to show modifications, which will enable Cathe to say, "Well, I tried it, and you guys didn't like it, so no modifications from now on." But I agree: having a full-time modifier in the back cuts down on the need to stop or slow down the workout. Also, if you're going to provide modifications, commit to it. Take some time to consider what needs to be modified or substituted: Lauren in KCM's workouts, for example, sometimes takes out torque, not just impact, and that's often a greater issue. Amy Bento's modifiers aren't always used up to their full potential; every time I do one of her workouts with modifiers I found as many other moves that could easily have been modified or substituted to enhance the workout for a wider ranger of viewers.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 08:50 AM  
Cher

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
I had to modify Cardio Core Circuit so heavily that I know it's not worth keeping for me. I'm not sure if it's worth trying Circuit Blast for those same reasons. Now, HiiT 30/30 and even Double Wave Pyramid have been surprisingly doable for me, and I'm going to sit down and do some thinking about 40/20 before tackling it, but this is worthwhile keeping for me.
Just wanted to say that Circuit Blast wasn't as bad on the cardio portions as I was expecting. The cardio portions are very short. The first one was over before I felt like I even got started. The others are a little longer but not too bad as far as the length. I did make my jumps smaller on some things and did the modifications Cathe showed for the Plank/push-up stuff and also put my hands on my step with a couple risers for a few things.

That being said....I haven't tried Cardio Core Circuit yet. I'm thinking about trying that today. I did do 30/30 the other day and hated it but I knew I wouldn't like it even before I did it or bought this set because I normally do not like drills. I made it through okay...I think I ended up taking a little longer break on a couple of them but all in all I made it through....just didn't enjoy it and was watching the clock the whole time....longest 20 something minutes ever for me!
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 10:18 AM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

I think Cathe would increase her fan base by providing a modifier in the highest impact/intensity workouts. So many of us need to modify at times, whether it is due to injury or simply no longer wanting to do ultra high impact all the time. I do appreciate her mentioning modifications in many of these workouts, but somebody actually doing the variations would be so much better. One of the things I like best about Chalene's CLX was that she had usually 2 modifiers--one using bands instead of weights, and someone using lighter weights with often less range of motion. I learned a lot of neat band tricks and sometimes substitute the band for dumbbells. Kareng
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 11:48 AM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher View Post
Just wanted to say that Circuit Blast wasn't as bad on the cardio portions as I was expecting. The cardio portions are very short. The first one was over before I felt like I even got started. The others are a little longer but not too bad as far as the length. I did make my jumps smaller on some things and did the modifications Cathe showed for the Plank/push-up stuff and also put my hands on my step with a couple risers for a few things.
Good to know. The push-ups may be what does me in, however, as I have a hard time with these due to an elbow issue. Having the step out may help, though. Sounds like this deserves a preview before I decide for sure...

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 05:48 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

The modifier argument makes no sense to me. How many of the people on her forum would actually not buy her workouts because they have a modifier? And on the other hand, how many people DON'T buy her stuff because she won't add a modifer?

I'm guessing the second greatly outnumbers the first. My guess is that they just don't want to put the effort into figuring out the modifications and making sure everything goes together right.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 08:10 AM  
Bebop

I got my Hiit disc yesterday and I previewed it.

I am going to try 30/30 today. I will modify all jumps on the rebounder. I just have to think about modifiying some of the more complicated moves.

I've read this thread twice for ideas and I'll report back here with my modifications.

I do feel since these moves are more athletic than dancy, low impact modifications are doable; I can't modify high impact step when the moves are dancy.

Wish me luck.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 03:03 PM  
Bebop

I just finished 30/30.

I liked it and didn't have to modify much. I did the ice breakers on the rebounder, although I have done them on the floor but without jumping.

I did the other jumping sequences on the rebounder. I modified the squat thrusts by going down and going back one leg at a time and then jumping in and standing up. You could modify but just doing military forward bends quickly.

The side lunges over the step could easily be done on the floor.

Sequential power kicks are hard and I did them on the rebounder. I have done them on the floor. If you just can't do them, I'd substitute intense knee smashes or intense front and back kicks - kickbox style.

My heart rate was where it was supposed to be at the end of every interval. I was sweating by the end of the workout.

However I can see how the"intensity junkies" would be disappointed. I felt it could have been longer. I also felt the cool down was too short. I had to pause and cool down an extra couple of minutes. I have to say, I have felt more "wiped out" after doing the first five intervals of Imax 2, but since my heart rate, by perceived exhertion, was where it was supposed to be, I feel I got all the intended benefits of the workout.

All in all, I liked it and am happy with it. It can easily be made longer by marching through the cooldown and adding more chapters. This is perfect for me because I need short workouts that get the work done. I like to have a variety of intensity in my collection.

I would call this high intermediate. I am looking forward to trying the other two.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-10, 02:43 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
I just finished 30/30.
I was thinking about mods for this move as well, and came up with two other ones:
1) tap back at a 45-degree angle rather than all the way over the top (Cathe does this as well in some workout)

2) turn to the side, so you are lunging over the narrow step

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, cathe friedrich, modifications, shock cardio, sts cardio