Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-16-20, 08:26 AM  
Cher

Total Max Mixers - Week of Feb 16

Starting our new week.

Vannie - Thanks for the link about banana pose. I’ve done that before but did realize it was called that. . Hip hasn’t been as well as those couple days but definitely better than what it was prior to last week.

JBliff - We don’t do anything for Valentines Day either.

Karen - How did the 12K go?

Gibbee - It’s been chilly the last few days but overall this winter we have been in the 30’s so I shouldn’t complain. Hopefully we’ll have another month or so and it should start getting a little warmer.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 09:40 AM  
JBliff

Hi all. My workout yesterday was 40 minutes on the elliptical and 25 minutes of yoga (Hip Openers from Rodney Yee's AM Yoga for your Week). My right hip has been feeling super tight and the practice helped tremendously.

Cher - Thanks for starting us off. I can't imagine days of being in the 30s! We'll be at about 51 today.

Gibbee - LITE Pyramid is really good. I can heavy up and get a great workout.

Waves to Karjoy and Vannie. Have a great day.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 05:18 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Cher: We finally (per my car) broke 50 today. Our house still feels really cold and we are keeping it at 76. DH can't regulate his temperature well. I started out this morning with a heavy coat and gloves for church. This is a nice respite although I've been inside most of the day. The sunshine and birds are lovely.

JB: I agree with you on Pyramid. I haven't worked out much lately but hope to get back at it soon. I need to do my PT exercises but even those make me feel dread.

Check in:Happy Walk... I've got to do more today because we are in a game of "points" (instead of thrones) and the points are minutes per day. Mine are obviously down some. Even if I just walk circles at Target for a bit.

Waves to Karen & Vannie!

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 05:48 PM  
Cher

Workout this morning was one of the cardio workout from one of the Fit Prime sets and Cathe’s Total Body Sculpting workout.

JBliff - 30’s is a good winter temperature for here! Most winters it is mainly in the teens and 20’s! This year has been nice! . I can only dream of 50 degree temperatures!

Gibbee - We did have a little sun today too. I really need to be able to get back to a normal exercise routine. I really getting sick of doing PT exercises everyday.
Old 02-16-20, 06:47 PM  
Vantreesta

I skipped my PT exercises the last two days too and I can tell it.

Yesterday we ran 2.55 mi for 10k trainer wk5 day1. Well, I ran that, Cyric ran about half. This was 5 min runs separated by 3 min walks and I didn't want to push him too hard since he's only been doing those short sprints. He probably would have been fine but that's okay. I did my own stretch after, which did include most of my PT stretches.

Jbliff, the hip openers is my most used practice from AM Yoga for Your Week.

Gibbee, you sound a little more relaxed today. I hope that's the case, even if it's only today!

Karen, how was the 12k?

Cheryl, I was glad to have the reminder of banana pose bc it really gets my QL.

Someone asked about the weather. Yes, MN has had some sub-zero temps recently but looks like a warmup into the 30s is coming.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 09:34 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Thanks for starting us off Cher. I was going to start but you beat me to it, which is not surprising since I got up late.

The 12K went great. I was a little nervous as I had not run that far in a while. It is about 7.5 miles. I did walk a little but felt good overall. It’s a really beautiful run and flat. I’m resting today but still trying to get close to 10,000 steps in.

Gibbee that’s funny about walking circles at Target! I had to go for a Target run today and was secretly glad to get in the extra steps. Glad you got out for church.
Every bit helps.

Jbliff do you have a favorite hip opener exercise? I need some help with those exercises too.

Vannie running a full 5 minutes is great. How big a dog is Cyric? So he prefers short sprints?

Night to all, kareng
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 10:17 PM  
Vantreesta

Karen, Cyric weighed 61 lbs last time I weighed him. He's German Shepherd and Australian Cattle Dog. I think he will be fine with longer runs, he just hasn't done any in a long time. He's a pretty good running buddy as long as we don't see any other animals, especially dogs. He did okay yesterday but we were running laps and think he just got bored. But I didn't want another resistance run from him so I dropped him off after two laps.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 02-17-20, 07:33 AM  
JBliff

Hi all. Yesterday DH and I went for a 4-mile hike at a nearby nature. The hike was moderately strenuous--a fair amount of up/downhill culminating in a nice water view. It was pretty cold (upper 40s) to begin with but we ended up quite warm by the end. I finished the day by doing the Standing Poses from Rodney Yee's Power Yoga to get some stretching in.

Karjoy - I really liked all the exercises in Rodney Yee's practice and they build on each other, but the move where you put your knee on the block and then away from the block really helps stretch out my hip.

Vannie - I think the AM Yoga for your Week is Rodney Yee's best DVD.

Gibbee - Like Karjoy, I got a kick out of thinking of you walking in circles at Target.

Cher
- I hope you get some more sunshine this week.

Waves to all. Have a great day.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-20, 08:16 AM  
Cher

Workout yesterday was Jenny Ford Niagara Falls Step and my PT exercises and stretches.

Vannie - Any tricks to help your SI joint feel better. Today it’s not sciatic but pain where my SI joint is. Always something. Maybe I will just end up taking an Aleve. That’s cool that you can run with your dog.

Karen - Great job on your 12K! I can’t even imagine running that!

JBliff - Your hike sounds nice. I wish we had some place nearby to hike. We did have sun yesterday but not expecting it to come out today. Bummer.

DH and I will go to Meijer today just to walk around and get in a few steps.

Waves Gibbee!
Old 02-18-20, 09:51 AM  
Vantreesta

Cheryl, a couple stretches have helped me some for SI joint pain relief (my chiropractor helps the most). One is part of my PT. I'll try to describe it, she called it side-lying thoracic lumbar rotation. So lie on your side with hips at 90 degrees and knees at 90 degrees, like you would be if sitting up straight in a chair. Keep your knees together. Stretch both arms out together in front of you on the floor. Take the top arm and open up to rotate it behind you toward the floor. Don't turn too quickly, just a nice easy pace. Do 10 reps on each side. The reason she gave me this one is bc if the thoracic spine is tight it can cause the lower back to take over and lead to too much movement in the lumbar. Be gentle with this if you're hurting; I can feel the rotation across my sacrum. The other thing that helps is smthg I learned from Debbie Siebers in Cool It Off Express (Slim in 6, I think). Lie on your back like you're going to do bridge. Slowly shift one side of your lower body forward, so like your bent knee is moving toward the wall in front of it, and then back to the start. Then shift the other side. I'm not sure if my description makes sense. It's sort of a chugging motion but you stay in one place on the floor. Let me know if you need a better explanation.