Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-04-19, 06:31 PM  
Gams

What’s the verdict on Kelly Coffey-Meyer’s new workouts?

For those of you that bought these and have tried them, what do you think?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-19, 06:51 PM  
alisoncooks

I only have Strong and Lean, and I've only tried the "strong" portion from it. I like it -- I find it similar to Cardio Pump's strength segment, which I love. I don't yet *love* this newest one, but I like it. KCM seems very casual in it, very jovial.

I didn't think I'd like the tubing moves but I almost liked them best (in general, I'm not a fan of bands and tubing). I also don't have a bar so I just used dumbbells. The format fits my preferences (I don't like ladders or pyramids or repeating sets several times), and I like how KCM varies the count during the set.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-19, 07:49 PM  
Crescent Moon
VF Supporter

I'm surprised more people aren't weighing in on these new workouts. From the previews, they look pretty good. I'll wait until they drop in price before I consider buying them. Maybe that's what others are doing?
Old 10-05-19, 11:49 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I have both of these but lately I have been on a Cathe Live kick so I hadn’t done them. This thread reminded me and I did Cardio Overload in its entirety and really got a great workout. I got a weighted vest at Target for $25 and I know it added to the intensity since there was very little impact. It’s Kelly by herself which didn’t matter to me one way or another but I know some prefer background people.

This one feels different from what Kelly has done before and it moves quickly. It’s definitely a keeper for me. She does circuits starting with low impact cardio, followed by boxing with 2 lb weights, followed by a body weight move/kickbox, followed by a ‘heavy’ weight segment using 12 lb dumbbells. Some of the segments are quite challenging and I can see Kelly working hard to complete a few of them.

I will revisit Strong and Lean tomorrow and report in.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 10:54 AM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Moon View Post
I'm surprised more people aren't weighing in on these new workouts. From the previews, they look pretty good. I'll wait until they drop in price before I consider buying them. Maybe that's what others are doing?
Since I didn't preorder, I'll wait until Mary gets them before considering them, and yes, a price drop would help too.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 12:13 PM  
Fitstick

I have Kelly’s new workouts and have tried each workout once although I did not do all of the circuits. The one with circuits is different because she adds on segments so that you can continue going after 30 minutes if you wish, I like having that option but it was kind of clunky the first time I did it because then I had to try to find the cool down by clicking through the segments I didn’t have time to try. She moves quickly and it kind of reminds me of her Trim Down which is one of my favorites. Strong and Lean were both solid workouts. I liked the variety in the strength workout of using the different equipment and thought it covered a lot in 30 minutes. If you like Kelly, you will probably enjoy these.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 12:46 PM  
Gams

Does she do any work lying on the floor - I prefer standing workouts?
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 04:41 PM  
owltx

I have Kelly's new workouts and have done each one twice, S&L three times.

Overall impressions: My (surprise) favorite of the two is S&L - I thought CSO would be the winner for me, but I really, really like S&L. For me, it is one of the best of KCM's recent offerings and I think will have real staying power on my shelf. Premix w/boxing and strength intervals is *awesome*. However, that is nothing against CSO - I do actually really like this one, and I think the format w/add-ons is going to be a nice option for me. Background in both is crisp, bright and uncluttered.

Kelly is alone in CSO. There is one workout on this DVD w/the option to extend 3 times. So a single 30 minute workout w/3 6-8 minute extenders (each one another circuit). The format is: low impact cardio, boxing, legs and then compound. KCM wears a weighted vest and uses light dumbbells for boxing, which I did too. The low impact cardio moves were good - different, and the vest really ramped up the intensity w/o the impact factor. The boxing moves are jab & hook series at a relatively low pace. The leg work is really good, and gets your heart rate up. The compound moves were great - lots of good ab-related work here.

Kelly has two background exercisers in S&L; Sammy and Jayne. The Strong portion is by body part, with three different moves each utilizing the barbell, then dumbbells, then tubing. You could easily sub dumbbells for her barbell moves. The body parts are: bi's, back, legs & glutes, tri's, shoulders and chest. I really enjoyed the format of the strength - different moves and equipment for each segment, which definitely helps with the boredom factor. The boxing segments were nice tie-ins to the weight work - segments moving at a medium-to-fast pace. The extended add-on was really good too - short but powerful. It had hip thrusts w/the barbell, knee-ins, reverse crunches and then a modified turkish get-up with the dumbbell.

So for lying on the floor: non, IIR, in CSO. For S&L the extended add-on is all floor. And then - I *think* some of the end chest work is on the floor. I would need to go back and check.
Old 10-06-19, 05:43 PM  
alisoncooks

I liked the add-on for Strong & Lean, also. Short and to the point (and it didn't feel insanely impossible, like a lot of ab add-ons).
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-19, 07:33 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Chest and triceps are done on the step in Strong and Lean. I just did this one again and did the premix that alternated between the two workouts. I used dumbbells instead of a barbell. I think I used the barbell the last time I did the workout, I just didn't feel like dragging it out today. I really liked it, although I probably prefer the Strong part. Some of the combos in the Lean part seemed a little bit awkward, at least to me. That said, they were simple enough to get without an issue.

Both of these were better than several of Kelly's previous offerings, IMHO. I did preorder so the price was okay with me. I rarely pay full price for workouts anymore.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kcm, trim down