Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-27-18, 10:20 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
Hi all!

I am looking for recommendations for a REALLY good dry skin body lotion. I have REALLY dry skin. Plus I live in MN (dry, cold air) and I'm in menopause (dry everything).

I am open to any/all suggestions. Lotions, creams, oils, etc. What have you found that works the best for super dry skin?

Thank you!!
I like both the CeraVe cream and lotion. The cream is in a tub and is thick, perfect for really dry skin. The lotion is thinner and absorbs quickly - I use it on the less dry places.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-18, 10:25 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Can anyone recommend a decent BB cream that isn't too expensive? I had been using Circa brand (from Walgreens- Eva Mendes line), and the company went out of business. I've tried some cheaper brands (Rimmel, Cover Girl, Physicians Formula), and they were just okay. I guess maybe I should look at mid-range priced BB creams. It can get expensive trying out new brands! Any suggestions are appreciated!
Did you try the Physician's Formula Insta Ready BB cream - it's the one in the dark tube? I like that one but I do need a primer with it. Their other BB and CC creams haven't worked for me at all.
Old 02-27-18, 10:29 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
Expensive but for me worth it. I have been a repeat buyer. It...cc cream. Love this and while a bit of a splurge worth it plus it lasts. $40.. I have tried quite a few and it can add up. Probably saves me money in the long run as now I don't experiment with other brands.
I've tried the IT CC Cream and loved many things about it but just can't get it to last longer than about three hours. Primer, no primer, set with power, don't set, doesn't matter - it just seems to disappear completely in about three hours.
Old 02-27-18, 11:27 PM  
rhbrand

I have the same problem with the IT Cosmetics CC cream. Between that and the really CRAPPY shade range, esp for people of color, I don't buy it anymore.

I've found the squalane oil from The Ordinary helps my dry patches I got this winter out a whole bunch.
Old 02-28-18, 01:30 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
Hi all!

I am looking for recommendations for a REALLY good dry skin body lotion. I have REALLY dry skin. Plus I live in MN (dry, cold air) and I'm in menopause (dry everything).

I am open to any/all suggestions. Lotions, creams, oils, etc. What have you found that works the best for super dry skin?

Thank you!!
Instead of body lotion, I use oil for moisturizing my body. I am using coconut oil right now. I have used almond oil and jojoba oil. I wonder if argan oil would be a good choice as well.

For my hands, I use Alaffia Coconut Reishi Hand and Body Lotion, and it is wonderful. Last winter was brutal here and I was working a lot with my hands and I was really suffering with cracked cuticles. This cream took care of it in two days. I use every time I wash my hands.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-18, 12:52 PM  
JulieIL

Kate, another suggestion to quench dry skin: In the palm of your hand, mix oil with a cream like Cerave. For some reason, this seems to penetrate better than layering the products.

I've used bulk sized oils for this (from Costco in the cooking aisle), including avocado oil (very nourishing), as well as olive oil. I purchased a smaller bottle of the oil to keep it in the bathroom, then refill it with the bigger bottle/jug. I use this technique for my face, as well as my entire body.

Also, skinactives.com has a premade product called ELS (Every Lipid Serum) serum that is excellent for those brutal winter months. Just a few drops a day saved my face & neck during the MN & Chicago weather.
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-18, 03:53 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieIL View Post
Kate, another suggestion to quench dry skin: In the palm of your hand, mix oil with a cream like Cerave. For some reason, this seems to penetrate better than layering the products.

I've used bulk sized oils for this (from Costco in the cooking aisle), including avocado oil (very nourishing), as well as olive oil. I purchased a smaller bottle of the oil to keep it in the bathroom, then refill it with the bigger bottle/jug. I use this technique for my face, as well as my entire body.

Also, skinactives.com has a premade product called ELS (Every Lipid Serum) serum that is excellent for those brutal winter months. Just a few drops a day saved my face & neck during the MN & Chicago weather.
Hmmm, does it absorb better? I like using coconut oil but the problem is that it doesn't really absorb and tends to get on everything.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-18, 04:03 PM  
JulieIL

Bee, mixing the oil and lotion seems to help with absorption, & keeps the greasiness controlled. I have been using avocado oil (from Costco's baking area- I cook with it too) this winter, and it's so rich that it seems to penetrate better & not leave that greasy film.

I've only used the ELS serum on my face & neck, & only used literally one pump (equivalent of few drops). I never got greasy from that either, and I used it in the AM (before sunscreen, etc).

I've heard wonderful things about using coconut oil as a moisturizer. Honestly, the solid nature of it has been the reason I haven't incorporated it into my regular routine. Do you use regular coconut oil (food grade)?

Julie
JulieIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-18, 05:17 PM  
BunnyHop

In terms of using oils, I found that my skin and hair tended to respond best to camellia oil and shea butter. Didn't care for coconut oil at all.

In general terms, I get along better with commercially prepared lotions and creams.

For dry skin, something that creates a good barrier (like beeswax or petrolatum/petroleum jelly) is best for me, since it seems to give my skin a chance to recover. I only ever need to use such things in the depths of winter, though.
Old 03-01-18, 12:22 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieIL View Post

Oh oh..I just went to skinactives.com....their stuff looks great! Thanks everyone for all the great ideas....I will be trying them!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty thread, beauty thread '18, oils