Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-15, 03:24 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

ON-topic: question about adopting a puppy

I found a puppy at the bus stop - cute little guy. we reported it to the humane society and if no one claims him within a 48 hour period, we get first dibs.

DH likes him but doesn't want him to be alone all day while we're at work if we were to adopt him. I agree, and there's a lot of responsibilities with having a dog. we have an indoor cat, by the way. according to the clinic (Veterinarian Center of America, VCA) that noted the information on behalf of the Humane Society, he'll be 30# fully grown. at the moment, he's 2 months old, and is a light brown terrier with white paws and white chest.

he wasn't microchipped - escaped before that could happen.

I immediately noticed how calm I felt when I picked him up, and when I "mother" him - gave him a bath yesterday, made a little puppy bed for him. i'm managing my high blood pressure with yoga and working out and meditating. my life is full of self-imposed distractions, not to mention the slow going decluttering going on at my house. I work full time outside of the home. have 3 boys, with one off to college this coming fall.

any advice? anyone turn down adopting a dog and felt OK with it? anyone with a full life adopted a puppy and survived?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 04:43 PM  
primrosecat

First of all, let me say that I know from your posts that you are a 'careing' kind of person, and that you would be a good mother to this puppy. But dogs are a lifetime commitment. Like walking/exercising him everyday, would it be a chore or a pleasure, etc. I guess I would say just be fair to yourself and your DH whatever you decide.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 05:04 PM  
Kitten

No advice, just an anecdote.
My sister & I adopted puppies from the same litter. She and her hubby worked and fixed their schedules so one of them would be home every couple of hours with the new puppy. I am a sahm, so my puppy stayed by my side 24/7. This did not matter one way or the other. These dogs are 1 person dogs and that's that. They only want to be fed/exercised/go to bed with their respective owners. When I'm sick or out of town my husband has a heck of a time getting her outside. They aren't aggressive, love kids, just really dependant on 1 person. Just thought I'd let you know, it's not necessarily going to be a "family dog".
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 05:18 PM  
Stac

Puppies

First, you are such a good person for rescuing the pup. I am glad you are also really thinking about what is best for the dog. I agree. If you decide to adopt, please remember that it is a lifetime commitment. You will be all he has.

Having had a couple of puppies, I will say they are a lot of work in the beginning. They are cute and adorable and a lot of responsibilities. It takes a lot of patience. You'll need to get him on a training schedule - potty, feeding, exercise. It is never too soon to train him for what he can/cannot do (ex. Will he be allowed on the bed, not to jump on people, etc). My first puppy got it right away - knew to alert me when he needed to go outside, never chewed on anything. My new puppy took a lot longer to learn. When he was 10 weeks old, he peed in the house 9 times in one day and he chewed holes in the carpet, ate 2 of my husband's ski jackets.

When we first adopted out dog, we took a few days off from work to get him on a schedule. We crated him for awhile when we were at work. But one day, we noticed he was starting to lick himself raw on his paw. So, we gave him free reign of the house and he adapted quickly - no accidents.

I would also say you'll need to make sure he gets regular exercise. We live in Minnesota and we walk our dog rain, sun, ultra cold.

It is a big decision and I wish you well.
Stac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 05:22 PM  
lisarah

We "rescued" a terrier mix last June even tho:
- I kept saying "never" to my kids
- I never was a dog person
- it's a lot of work
- we have 3 kids (one with special needs)
- we both work during the day & the kids are at school
- we aren't rich

Having a dog:
- has brought tremendous joy to my kids (part of the reason we adopted - one was a little lonely and one is anxious)
- has forced my DH into daily walks (usually 2 a day)
- has taught my kids some level of responsibility
- has turned me into a "dog person" even tho we've had to dog-proof our living room and there is dog hair everywhere!
- has made our life a little crazier and fuller

We do "crate" her at night and when we are at work/school - last one to leave the house puts her in & first one home walks her. That's a personal decision. You can also look into a dog walking service. She really loves all of us in different ways almost but she knows that my DH is top dog -- they have a special bond in spite of the fact that DH was the most resistant to getting a dog. We did take her to obedience school. One more note: terriers are great diggers! Our back yard grass has taken a beating. They usually have a lot of energy & love to run.

I say go for it if your heart tells you to!

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 05:31 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
<snip>
I immediately noticed how calm I felt when I picked him up, and when I "mother" him - gave him a bath yesterday, made a little puppy bed for him. i'm managing my high blood pressure with yoga and working out and meditating.<snip>
This jumped out at me immediately.

Not giving advice one way or the other - it just sounds like this puppy could be therapeutic for you! However, as others have pointed out, pet adoption is a serious responsibility. I know you'll get great advice from people who have adopted puppies!

(I was hesitant when we first rescued Pumpkin, the orange fellow in my avatar. We had lost our girl Misty a couple of years earlier, and Peanut was happy as a single cat. Even though having two cats has complicated our lives in many ways, including the ability to travel, I go to sleep with a smile every night because Pumpkin is purring on my pillow. Both cats have enriched our lives a lot.)

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 06:12 PM  
Tracyso2

I was never a dog person either, but woke up one day suddenly desperate to get a puppy (cavalier king charles spaniel), and it was an absolutely wonderful decision. Granted, he’s the easiest dog who ever lived (got him at 8 months so we just had to help him adapt from country to city...we’re in BK), but he’s been a tremendous source of joy and happiness since day 1. One thing I’ve noticed about having a dog is, strangers feel free to talk to you. It’s made our city life feel so much more intimate and neighborhood-y. He’s great company, and a really good role model in that he makes everyone feel welcome, and special. I’ve learned a lot, taking care of him. I’d say go for it if you feel oddly compelled to.
Tracyso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 06:41 PM  
NotThatGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngoat View Post
This jumped out at me immediately.

Not giving advice one way or the other - it just sounds like this puppy could be therapeutic for you! However, as others have pointed out, pet adoption is a serious responsibility. I know you'll get great advice from people who have adopted puppies!

(I was hesitant when we first rescued Pumpkin, the orange fellow in my avatar. We had lost our girl Misty a couple of years earlier, and Peanut was happy as a single cat. Even though having two cats has complicated our lives in many ways, including the ability to travel, I go to sleep with a smile every night because Pumpkin is purring on my pillow. Both cats have enriched our lives a lot.)
This is what instantly jumped out at me too (and I completely agree)! I really believe/think your pets pick you, however that comes about (visiting a breeder, rescues, finding strays, etc.). I have raised both my dogs from the age of 10 weeks and they are now 7 and 8. I can't say it was a lot of work but it was huge for teaching me patience. Aside from a handful of times where they really were naughty (chewing a lamp and laptop cord that were thankfully unplugged - I mistakenly trusted our lab to be out of her crate while I was at work) it was more about patience than "work." We crate ours when we are away from the house which has a lot to do with why they haven't become super frustrating. It is a big responsibility but I haven't ever regretted either one of them and firmly believe they were two of the best things that has ever happened in my life. They have given me so much and have been amazing teachers for me My husband is away for work sometimes and they have become closely bonded to me so the comment about them becoming 1 person's dog rather than a family dog has been very true for us.

Maybe I am reading into it too much but I think the fact you felt calm with him is really important in a good way. You'll make the right choice (whatever it is) for you and your family

Last edited by NotThatGirl; 03-27-15 at 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling
NotThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 07:37 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

We got a puppy two years ago. It had been two years since our older lab needed to be euthanized. I needed the grieving time, etc.

It was good to be dog free for that time but I don't really feel complete without a dog. Pets are a responsibility...as others have pointed out. I have four kids and two out of the four are good about walking Lucy. I also walk her. We do live in MN also and yep, it's cold.

I find the house/puppy training to be intense when you're in it, but it goes relatively quickly and most dogs catch on.

Financially, dogs can be expensive. They do things like eat batteries, shoes, furniture. They develop skin problems and have to go to the vet. If you travel, reliable boarding is a must and can add to your vacation expenses.

That said, I find a lot of comfort and companionship with my furry friend. I'm definitely a dog person.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-15, 07:55 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

I think our animals pick us too. Enjoy your new puppy!
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote