Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-15, 06:33 PM  
Tracyso2

Best & quickest toning for legs & butt...?

Hi all--
I've been a yoga zealot forever (Bryan, Travis...) and am just so burned out on it suddenly...can't make myself do yoga at all. Have started taking zumba, spin & kickbox at the gym, which are great for cardio, but not addressing my toning needs. Anyone have suggestions for SHORT (20 minutes or less) lower-body toning workouts that can be done 5-6 days a week, aren't insanely hard and are crazy-effective? Thanks so much.
Tracyso2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-15, 08:22 PM  
PrairieGem

What do you mean by "toning?" What exactly are your goals? Are you trying to build strength and muscle, or are you trying to slim down? Or...?

My legs are my trouble spot (I carry a lot of fat there, which at age 40 I am now totally ok with, btw!), and the only only only thing that ever improves the *appearance* of my legs is steady state cardio, like running or time on the ski machine. For building strength and protecting my knees, I like traditional strength work--squats, squats, lunges, squats. For making me *feel* like I have a pretty, graceful body, I like barre... but physical (vs psychological) results-wise, the best thing barre does for me is increase my endurance like crazy (for all those squats and running! ).

When I used to subscribe to Prevention Magazine, they would have short routines that focused on things like this--maybe something like that is what you need? A circuit of several moves (weights/bodyweight/HIIT) that you can run through a couple of times, a couple of times a week? You can find a lot of such things nowadays (yes, I said "nowadays" LOL) on Pinterest; just, you know, pick ones that look reputable, and not "Joe's Crazy 2 Million Squat Challenge!!"
Old 03-12-15, 05:48 AM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracyso2 View Post
Hi all--
I've been a yoga zealot forever (Bryan, Travis...) and am just so burned out on it suddenly...can't make myself do yoga at all. Have started taking zumba, spin & kickbox at the gym, which are great for cardio, but not addressing my toning needs. Anyone have suggestions for SHORT (20 minutes or less) lower-body toning workouts that can be done 5-6 days a week, aren't insanely hard and are crazy-effective? Thanks so much.
For me, it's barre. Within the past few years, I no longer do advanced workouts. I just count the pulses - about 15 to 40 for each move & stop while the instructor keeps going. Otherwise, barre can be a killer! If I do only 15 pulse a day on each body part, I see results.

I like P57 Express, Classic (their first release).

Here are two free barre lowber body workouts by really wonderful instructors, both @ 20 minutes. Try them out if u haven't done barre.

Jessica Smith (probably the easier of the two) 24 min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1mDvBBIlRE

Fitness Blender (probably best for form if u r a barre beginner) 21 min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=514W-RB7Xiw
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 10:42 AM  
topfitmama

Or you can try Ballet Beautiful. The Befit channel on Youtube has a few of her workouts that you can stream -or download- for free. Three of them are lower body focused and done on a mat.

Mary Winsor's Buns and Thighs workout (also on youtube) is very good too. She does less reps but she still gets your legs burning.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-15, 12:03 PM  
violetblonde

Hi Tracy! I recommend this hipster band workout -- for a fuller version there's a segment on Andrea's Supermodel Sculpt dvd. But this 10 minute version does the trick in a pinch I find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXN5iZdXsbg

My other suggestions: the original Ballet Beautiful Blast DVD-- there are two killer all-fours butt toning segments which clock in 15 min each-- and TA's Precision Toning -- the legs and butt sections are also about 15 min each.
violetblonde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bands lower body