Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-19, 11:27 AM  
bfit

Can't find home workouts that are hard enough for me

I have zillions of DVD workouts, but only a very few of the cardio ones are really challenging enough for me. Typically, I do running, walking outside, or swimming for cardio and then use the DVDs for strength training, yoga, or light days, but sometimes when I can't do my outdoor cardio activities (like a rainy day or a busy day) I want some tough cardio on a DVD. I'm 62 so I don't want a lot of jumping and high impact, but I can do burpees and such. The workouts that I have that are tough enough are Brooklyn Bridge Boot Camp (which I modify to low impact), the Fe Fit set, and the old Cathe Boot Camp (which I also modify to low impact). It seems like there isn't much for "older" people like me who still want a challenge. Any ideas?
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 11:58 AM  
lavna

Some tough cardio workouts for me are Cathe's RWH Low impact Hiit, RWH Legs, X10, S+S Cardio slam, Intensity, RWH Plyo. Some have a low impact section and you could probably modify others to low impact, especially those who use the step.
HTH
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 12:34 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Maybe take a look at Cathe's Afterburn from the Low Impact series. It's already low impact so no modifying necessary but it's pretty high intensity, especially the bonus burn premix!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 03:11 PM  
wlorrie

You might like Linda Wooldridge's Endurance 120 1+2=3. It's low impact and tough! It's basically dynamic body movements that gets your heart rate up and will have you gasping for air.

Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 03:47 PM  
Pam

I like the Dreams Bodies, especially the older ones. I modify to low impact and maybe hold lite hand weights, even when they are not. Sometimes I modify by using my rebounder.

I am also a senior not ready to go to easier workouts, except on light days.
Old 04-24-19, 04:33 PM  
jusca

Spinning workouts, maybe? That's lower impact and can be very challenging.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 04:38 PM  
Erica H.

Have you tried wearing a 10 lb. weight vest? I have a similar issue with cardio and find wearing the weight vest helps a lot. I do step workouts and keep them low impact.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 07:25 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I would suggest any of Amy Dixon's workouts. There are three versions of every exercise so nice options for modification to lower impact. They are tough IMHO.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-19, 07:53 PM  
Dontmindthemess

I second the Linda Wooldridge suggestion. Her endurance workouts are really challenging without a lot of impact and they really challenge your core too. I also think Cathe’s Afterburn is really tough. I’ve been on the lookout for a used commercial spin bike for this reason. I want to keep up the intensity but I know I can’t keep jumping forever.

Jane
Dontmindthemess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-19, 09:25 AM  
kat999

Following because I have a similar problem, but it's not only the difficulty level but the variety. I want something low-impact but very challenging and with more moves than just the standard basic aerobics.

Tags
hardest cathe, hardest workouts, mount everest workout