Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-19, 06:51 PM  
severin817

Getting rid of my DVD copies

So I've been converting all my workout DVDs to digital on my hard drive and now wondering what to do with the discs. I hate the thought of throwing them away. I can't sell them because they're copies. I have hundreds to get rid of.

Suggestions?

Laura
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 07:59 PM  
jusca

Shred them or pile them up in a bag, run over it with a car and throw them away. I don't know of a legal way to get rid of them that doesn't involve destruction or recycling the materials.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 08:16 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I think by law you have to keep them so you have the copyright of ripping those DVDs. Iput mine in a box.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 08:23 PM  
carly

Buy a cheap large capacity (200 - 400) CD/DVD storage binder for the DVD's, pull out the media paper and consolidate in a large freezer bag for keeping and throw out the individual cases. This will condense your collection down to the size of a shoebox.....then throw it on a top shelf for storage. The DVD's now are essential a backup to your hard drive.

If you want to save money on the binder you could use the media paper to separate the DVD's in a shoebox. I still "leaf" through mine occasionally so the binder is better for my needs.
carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 08:28 PM  
severin817

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly View Post
Buy a cheap large capacity (200 - 400) CD/DVD storage binder for the DVD's, pull out the media paper and consolidate in a large freezer bag for keeping and throw out the individual cases. This will condense your collection down to the size of a shoebox.....then throw it on a top shelf for storage. The DVD's now are essential a backup to your hard drive.
Yeah, I did that. I have 5 large 3" ring binders full. I started with over 3000 DVDs.

Not all of them are copies. Some are commercial DVDs.

I hate the thought of throwing away all the CIAs I converted to DVD from VHS. Bummer.
severin817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 09:31 PM  
bubbles76

Three thousand! I bow to you. I would definitely keep the VHS CIAs. I mean, you may not be able to ever find the ones from VHS again. I'm no help whatsoever.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 11:59 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
Shred them or pile them up in a bag, run over it with a car and throw them away. I don't know of a legal way to get rid of them that doesn't involve destruction or recycling the materials.
LOL!!!

Most shredders have a disc shredder. Of course for that many you would probably need to buy a few shredders, cause I'm sure it would break before 100.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 12:08 PM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdw View Post
I think by law you have to keep them so you have the copyright of ripping those DVDs. Iput mine in a box.
Do you really think the garbage dudes are going to check what is in
your garbage bags?

I think you could load bags here and there and throw them in your garbage and no one will know. I have yet to see a garbageman inspect my garbage. Of course, I tend to be a bit of a rule breaker at times.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 12:13 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Save them..just in case! Good backup to have. I echo the others who said just store them in a box.

Just in case ;-)

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 12:24 PM  
sherry7899

Does your town have a recycling center where you can drop things off? If they don't take up much room out of the binders just keep them in a box.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backing up dvd, dvd ripping, purging dvds