Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-15, 11:28 PM  
punkrockmom
VF Supporter

Cathe slide n glide discs

I bought my first Cathe dvd (xTrain all out low impact hiit) awhile back but didn't check before buying what equipment was needed for with it. After I saw on the back it says I need her slide n glide discs I tried to get some on her web site but it brings me to an error page. Amazon shows these discs being bought with a different slide n glide disc of hers. Can someone who's done AOLIH tell me if they look similar to the ones she uses or what you bought if you had to buy discs that weren't hers. I'm afraid to preview. Cathe has always intimidated me.
punkrockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-15, 11:50 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

IMO, Cathe's slide & glide discs were pretty much exactly the same as Mindy Mylrea's gliding discs. Only Cathe's were yellow instead of purple and came with black fabric covers for use on hardwood floors. They kind up gently curved up at the sides like a plastic plate. But I don't think that necessarily made them work better than any other gliding disc. I do have a set.

I also sometimes use oblong furniture gliders from Walmart like these for Cathe's gliding moves, at least for back & forth moves like mountain climbers in Afterburn. Not sure how they would fare with side to side moves. I generally do gliding moves infrequently.

Hopefully others will chime in with their thoughts.

I think Cathe discontinued all of her Altus equipment/products so I'm assuming that's why her discs are no longer available on her site. Here's a link to a cathe forum thread where SNM talks about it: http://cathe.com/forum/threads/tryin...ipment.295649/

Quote:
Fitness equipment

We have just found selling fitness equipment to not be very profitable and to take up way too much storage room at our facility. Profit margins are very low nowadays in the fitness accessory business and many companies, like Altus that manufactured many of the products we use to sell are no longer in business. But you can find numerous other companies that sell similar products that you can use in our workouts. So, that really shouldn't be an issue.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-15, 11:53 PM  
mamaste

These are almost exactly like Cathe's: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LOXYXYG/

The plastic isn't as thick as hers (and they're blue), but they will work just fine.

Altus went out of business because the owner retired. He chose not to sell the business to anyone else. Sad that they're gone.
Old 10-31-15, 01:09 AM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
IMO, Cathe's slide & glide discs were pretty much exactly the same as Mindy Mylrea's gliding discs. Only Cathe's were yellow instead of purple and came with black fabric covers for use on hardwood floors.
I agree, here are the ones Mindy uses: http://www.amazon.com/Gliding-Discs-.../dp/B0065V6QJW from those you need to choose which one you need, for carpet or hardwood, they both look similar (I wonder what is difference, I guess the material?), anyways they don't have booties. (So, they're not that versatile, spec. at that price).

Cathe's ones: http://cathe.com/wp-content/uploads/...03-300x200.jpg

I also, agree that the BeachBody mamaste posted look similar, with the booties and all.

I just wonder why they are that expensive?

I've used furniture gliders for several years with no problem at all, the thing is that I only use it on carpeted floor. I after bought ones similar to the one you linked from Amazon, and I just don't like them http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/eleme...liding-discs-9, I didn't realized they sell two sizes and I got the biggest ones, also I got them to use on hard surfaces as I don't always workout on the same room. It didn't work for me, it does a weird noise, like it is going to break, the plastic border around the fabric side look scratched in just one attempt and it just don't glide smooth, I'm also concern about scratching my floors, so at the end I got them for nothing. I'm sure it would have work better if it didn't have the plastic border on the fabric side. Just my 2 cents.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-15, 06:37 AM  
horusosiris

Although I have the Cathe sliding discs, I almost always use and prefer the furniture gliders that I purchased very inexpensively from the Home Depot. I am able to do all of Cathe's sliding disc moves without any problems.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-15, 08:05 AM  
NorthernStar

I have the Beachbody sliders (from my PiYo purchase) and they work fine for Cathe's workouts. You can also use paper plates, just something that lets your foot slide along the floor. You can even skip them for just about every move if you don't have any, and do the non-sliding version of the exercise.
NorthernStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-15, 09:05 AM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

If you have smooth floors (hardwood, linoleum) you can also use rags. :-)
Trixoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-15, 09:57 AM  
punkrockmom
VF Supporter

Thanks guys. I'll be working out on carpet & might be able to talk dh into doing it too so I'm thinking I should start with the furniture sliders since I'll have to buy two sets.
punkrockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-15, 01:10 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixoo View Post
If you have smooth floors (hardwood, linoleum) you can also use rags. :-)
When I went on the Cathe roadtrip, we used rags.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-15, 11:03 PM  
bfit

If you're working out on carpet, you can also use paper plates or plastic disposable plates. They're pretty much good for only one workout though, and then they're shot. I have also used the furniture sliders although they are smaller than plates and a little harder to keep under your feet.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cathe, gliding discs