Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-15, 04:15 PM  
Sara1000

Article: Genes matter more than environment

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/12/you_...f_weight_loss/

"In fact, researchers found that the children’s weight correlated strongly with the weight of their biological parents and not at all with the weight of their adoptive parents." article by Traci Mann
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 05:06 PM  
Chomper

Great article.

I read about some of these studies and issues in the book "the First 20 Minutes" which I heartily recommend to anyone interested in the scientific research into fitness. There are chapters on weight loss, strength, flexibility, as well as endurance sports.

About the weight loss challenge. I guess it helps to take a longer perspective and admire the sophistication of our biology that evolved over so many years to keep us going as a species. But in our modern environment, it really seems like the system is rigged against us.

One cool tidbit from the book was that in periods of inactivity, women lose muscle at a much slower rate than men. They think it's because of the hormonal difference. Women also sweat less.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 05:51 PM  
Sara1000

This article is from a book by Dr. Mann - although it's interesting, I wish she had made some suggestions for things we CAN do - the article is pretty much about what doesn't work and why. Yet people do lose weight and keep it off. Or is she just saying if you do ist's going to be very hard in many ways?
Old 04-13-15, 05:51 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I think that what your taste buds prefer has a lot to do with your weight.
Old 04-13-15, 06:29 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I think that what your taste buds prefer has a lot to do with your weight.
That would explain a lot. I haven't met a food I don't love...

I just have a tough time believing it's that simple or not simple. I know people who were overweight from families who are overweight who have lost weight and kept it off. It's not easy, but it's doable. I guess, I just don't like being told that it's inevitable.
Old 04-13-15, 06:42 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
That would explain a lot. I haven't met a food I don't love...
Have you ever met durian? If you haven't already, don't. Just turn around and run away.

(If you did as a child, its probably the love of your life...so I'm sorry I insulted your first true love. )

Ok, everyone back to your regularly scheduled thread.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 08:57 PM  
Sara1000

The part I find amazing is how those prisoners had to eat 10,000 extra calories to gain weight and then couldn't keep it on.

My DH was one of those super lean guys who could eat as much as he could hold without ever gaining weight, and now in his 50's he has a big belly even though he's physically active, does heavy labor type jobs around the house, and walks a couple of miles every day up a VERY steep hill so fast I can't keep up with him.
Old 04-13-15, 10:10 PM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
This article is from a book by Dr. Mann - although it's interesting, I wish she had made some suggestions for things we CAN do - the article is pretty much about what doesn't work and why. Yet people do lose weight and keep it off. Or is she just saying if you do ist's going to be very hard in many ways?
I'm sure she'll get into that in depth in the book. I am looking forward to reading it. One thing they do know is that the people who lose a lot of weight and successfully keep it off exercise consistently. In fact, exercise is more effective for not gaining weight than it it is for weight loss.

They also know that making eating changes a lifestyle change (permanent) is far more effective for keeping off the weight one has lost. I think her point is that a "diet" is a fantasy that we can eat in a really restricted way, lose a lot of weight, then go back to eating much like before without regaining it all. Sadly, a lot of people still think that way.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 10:27 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
I'm sure she'll get into that in depth in the book. I am looking forward to reading it. One thing they do know is that the people who lose a lot of weight and successfully keep it off exercise consistently. In fact, exercise is more effective for not gaining weight than it it is for weight loss.

They also know that making eating changes a lifestyle change (permanent) is far more effective for keeping off the weight one has lost. I think her point is that a "diet" is a fantasy that we can eat in a really restricted way, lose a lot of weight, then go back to eating much like before without regaining it all. Sadly, a lot of people still think that way.
One of my friends just made a comment about people who change their diet but the minute they "go off their diet" they gain weight...as if that was a disgusting, terrible thing. The perspective was so funny....yep, I do think a lot of people think this way.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-15, 05:00 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I'm looking forward to reading Harriet Brown's book on weight. She wrote Brave Girl Eating, a memoir of her daughter's battle with anorexia. She's a wonderful writer, and has little good to say about the diet industry. I just heard an interview in which she mentioned keeping off significant weight is a full-time job. The metabolic changes that occur from being significantly overweight for a long period of time make it really challenging to keep it off.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote