Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-10-19, 03:51 PM  
alisoncooks

Do legs actually ever get a rest?

Just thinking about rotations and such...I'm wondering if LEGS ever get a true rest day. And if not, do they need it?

For example, it's not uncommon to see cardio alternating with full-body strength. Well, a lot cardio is leg dependent (running, walking, elliptical, step, dance). So I'm that case, the legs are working daily.

Even my "rest days" can include balance or yoga, which may work the legs to some degree (albeit not as hard as a heavier weights day).

So what do you think? Are legs meant to be worked every day? If not, how do you schedule your workouts?
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 04:22 PM  
jusca

We work our legs everyday indirectly. I think it's the amount of stress & load that you put on them everyday is what matters. I'm no personal trainer or health professional but I'm thinking more from common sense that the load put on legs shouldn't be strenuous everyday because they are already doing work supporting your body to walk, etc.
jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-19, 06:33 PM  
Hedgehog

I purposely started working my legs 5+x/wk. They are my problem area and, I've played with all sorts of methods...freestyle (5/wk) metcon daily.....you name it. I'm still working on tracking down the holy grail but I do think at least for *me* it requires working legs every day. Some days are endurance, a least 1 is super heavy etc. I do make sure to be careful WHAT they do day to day but, I know they need to be worked daily and in many different ways to reach my goals.
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 09:35 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Good question! I don't think legs necessarily need to be rested. Keeping workouts varied probably helps keep legs strong.

I think about that for upper body, too. Even on "leg day" one has to hold the weights.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 10:00 AM  
alisoncooks

So maybe the key is variety. Variety in movement type and exertion level. Keeping that in mind will help me as I schedule my week.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 05:01 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusca View Post
We work our legs everyday indirectly. I think it's the amount of stress & load that you put on them everyday is what matters. I'm no personal trainer or health professional but I'm thinking more from common sense that the load put on legs shouldn't be strenuous everyday because they are already doing work supporting your body to walk, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I think about that for upper body, too. Even on "leg day" one has to hold the weights.
I agree; I also wonder what a total rest would be anyway (and picturing a total "bed rest" of the type formerly prescribed more often).

I've seen programs and philosophies in which the legs are worked hard with strength work, and activities such as cardio are present but simply aren't hard enough to be as taxing as the Leg Days are.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-19, 05:19 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I have an upper body only day... I know the legs get a workout for balancing the extra weight, but it's a light leg day. Some exercises are lying down lol.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 06:19 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

As I have gotten older, (56) I have noticed that my legs are so achy and I feel exhausted at night if I do too much lower body work. I do cardio every day, so I realize that this is a factor. I just don't feel like I need as much lower body work as I used to. I am doing more floor work, like Pilates and Essentrics, and much less traditional exercises like squats and lunges.

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote