Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-28-17, 08:01 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
How did I remember this thread? i thought it was newer.

Anyway, we're buying the same Speed Queen machine Diana has today. I will never have a machine without an agitator again. We're replacing a top load LG (with no agitator) that was off balance so much that it took hours to do a load. My sis has the same problem with hers, so it's not the floor. We both bought them 4 years ago.

The sales person immediately recommended the Speed Queen as a great local manufacturer with a great warranty and I went off to do my research. Yay! I'm done standing and watching the last 20 minutes of every load to make sure it doesn't unbalance and start rinsing again to rebalance itself - adding another 40 minutes! Can't wait!
We have had the same problem with our LG top loader. I have had it for 2 1/2 years. The worst and most expensive wash machine I have had. My husband has finally got it to balance after hearing me complain and threaten to take an axe to it. It has been working good for the past year. However, I hate that it takes over an hour to do a load of wash and you can only pick certain temps for certain loads. Give me the damn hot water when I want it. I do a lot of wash. Probably an average of 12 loads per week. I would love a speed queen and to be pick the temperatures I want and get my wash done. Wash machines usually last me 3 years. I have well water and I think running the machine for over an hour increases your electricity bill, than if I ran the machine for 30-40 minutes. Where am I saving money. Just sayin'. Give me the power horse.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 09:24 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I know how you feel about the axe. After I finalized the purchase today, I came home, opened the laundry room door and yelled "You're outta here %#^]%{##_!" My hubby about croaked, but I was feeling ecstatic!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 09:42 PM  
Diana3271

Joni I hope you like the new washer. I am still liking mine. Initially I didn't notice an increase in water consumption but I am now. But I am OK with that. The clothes are so much cleaner. I hate to mention this but here goes. So with the old washer, DH's work shirts accumulated deodorant in the armpit area. That area would become hard and stiff. We have not replaced the shirts but since we have had the new washer that area has softened and the deodorant is being cleaned from that area. I don't know if it makes sense in how I said it. LOL The bottom line is that the new washer cleans a lot better and I am happy about that.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 02:21 AM  
Stephanie_B

LMBO. I absolutely HATED my front loader. It never cleaned well. It broke all the time. My washer before lasted over 20 years. This one broke down so often that when I finally got a regular one again I wanted to take an axe to it too.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 06:45 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I volunteer at an animal shelter and they literally do laundry all day long every day. Two machines stuffed fuller than they should be with items and types of "dirt" that we'd never see at home. Both are Speed Queen top load analog machines. The only difference from my new one is that they're extra large capacity. Everything I've ever washed there has come out clean in spite of what was on them.

I thought the machine we looked at looked familiar, but I didn't realize it was basically the same machine as the shelter until yesterday. That boosted my confidence in our choice!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 07:22 AM  
suzannaerin

Speed queen is supposed to be the best. I can't wait until my washer dies so I can justify replacing it. I don't think too many companies carry them, at least where I live. I think there might be one in DC, though.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 08:21 AM  
Lannette

I'm considering a speed queen stacking set. Anyone have any thoughts on them? I like the fact that the drier actually vents.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 10:27 AM  
Stephanie_B

The fact that they work at a shelter is also good for me because I'm pretty sure not everyone would treat them as kindly as their own machines, so more durable!

Lannette I've had stacking years ago (early 1990s) and loved them. However it wasn't spews queen and I don't remember the brand. I know it was like Kenmore or GE or something mainstream.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-17, 11:01 AM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie_B View Post
The fact that they work at a shelter is also good for me because I'm pretty sure not everyone would treat them as kindly as their own machines, so more durable!

Lannette I've had stacking years ago (early 1990s) and loved them. However it wasn't spews queen and I don't remember the brand. I know it was like Kenmore or GE or something mainstream.
Thanks Stephanie! We're going to have our plumber come out and take a look at where we want them installed. They have a 5 year warranty, 3 years in home - unheard of these days. You can wash a king sized comforter and they're American made.

Shelters do tons of laundry!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-17, 07:42 AM  
Diana3271

Question for those with this Speed Queen model: https://www.speedqueen.com/products/...build-your-own

Can you was a king size quilt? I have washed a thin king size comforter but not a heavy king size quilt. Any thoughts?

ETA: I just searched the questions/answers on their site and it does NOT look like it will.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washers