Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-10, 10:55 PM  
mercedes

Has anybody tried light therapy (phototherapy) as in blue light LED? There are many studies out there claiming that exposing the skin to a LED blue light source destroys acne bacteria.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Quasar-Ph...007054&sr=1-10

The one above is one of the LED devices (higher end ones). I just bought a similar item for my daughter. We have not received it yet.

I want to try this route before sinking into long term antibiotic usage (as prescribed by her dermatologist). If anybody has any experience with this therapy, I would appreciate any feedback.

mercedes
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 11:07 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by peluso View Post
For those of you who use the Paula's choice products, do you use a separate moisturizer? I just sent away for the sample of her regular acne system. Is that what most people with acne problems are using?
Paula only recently came out with her Clear acne system and I've been using her products since the beginning. I use the One Step Face Cleanser for normal to oily skin, the 2% BHA Gel and the Clear Extra Strength Acne Treatment which is identical to the Extra Strength Blemish Fighting Solution that she already had in her line, but with different packaging as someone already mentioned. In the morning, I use the Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion SPF 15 and at night I don't usually use moisturizer, but sometimes in the winter I use the Skin Balancing Moisture Gel around my eyes.
Old 03-30-10, 11:55 PM  
Fidget Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedes View Post
Has anybody tried light therapy (phototherapy) as in blue light LED? There are many studies out there claiming that exposing the skin to a LED blue light source destroys acne bacteria.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Quasar-Ph...007054&sr=1-10

The one above is one of the LED devices (higher end ones). I just bought a similar item for my daughter. We have not received it yet.

I want to try this route before sinking into long term antibiotic usage (as prescribed by her dermatologist). If anybody has any experience with this therapy, I would appreciate any feedback.

mercedes
About 3 months ago, I bought an LED light array. It has blue (for bacteria), red (for bacteria and skin repair), and amber (yellow) for skin repair.

It was expensive, and face size, so I could just bathe in it. I used it 30 minutes a day faithfully for two months, and now that I've not been using it everyday, I notice a difference. I'm just breaking out more now. I started it again today and will remain faithful again. It can be a tad drying when used for awhile, though I'm not sure why.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 01:33 AM  
zumzum

I've been lucky with Retin-A and, other than some flakies, have had minimal purging and peeling. But I can really see why it could cause problems for some people, it's strong stuff and it's easy to be sensitive or allergic to it. I'm on the cream version and often use it once every other night, since my face is on the sensitive side, and I buffer with a lot of moisturizer 1/2 hour before putting it on. Also, from what I've read on makeupalley.com and elsewhere, it seems a lot of people have more problems with the micro version for some reason, and a lot of people prefer the gel to the cream (the .05 cream seems to be working for me, but I'm thinking of trying the .025 gel next. More is not necessarily better with Retin-A).

I tried glycolic acid products from Jan Marini after hearing about how fantastic it was for some people, and my face went crazy. I stuck with it for four months hoping it was just a purging phase, and it kept getting worse. Took a year for some of the scars to fade, but I've been really jumpy about trying new things after that experience.

One thing that might be less likely to irritate is Cetaphil's Gentle Cleansing bar--I started using it after the glycolic acid disaster and it made a huge difference in acne flareups, plus it's quite cheap compared to a lot of options. They have an anti-bacterial version as well. It's way better than their liquid cleanser, which I never liked despite dermatologists' love affair with it. I'm having to move on because I need something more moisturizing, but before Retin-A it was the best thing that had happened to me.
zumzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 02:44 AM  
tan3374

Paula's Choice is great. There is also a facial wash available in the UK which contains 2% salycylic acid which does the trick for me without having to spend more on the BHA lotion. Best bit is that its really cheap - about seven pounds (UK.) You may be able to order it ionline if you are overseas. My skin is really clear now and I used to suffer from acne.
tan3374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 05:22 AM  
peluso

Guys,

Thank you so much for all of the great tips! I had never heard of Paula's Choice before until a couple of months ago when someone mentioned it here.

I'm trying to be more careful with what I put on my face, knowing that sometimes we are our own worst enemies and make the face work by being too active with any one skincare system.

My acne is not awful. In fact, ever since I started facials and extractions, it has improved greatly. I guess I just would like to be as acne free as possible. I'm near 30 and thought that at this time upcoming wrinkles and not teenage-like acne would be my biggest beauty concern.

I get a lot on my chin....and I'm pretty sure it is because I am a sloppy eater! haha....I also have been obsessed with chapstick since I was 15 so maybe it falls on my chin....Waxing for hair removal probably doesn't help either.

With full-time school and work I am also stressed pretty consistently....so that probably is not helping!
peluso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 05:38 AM  
adrien_73

I notice you list this as off topic, but for me there is a direct correlation between exercise and my acne! I sweat a lot when I exercise and that definitely seems to aggravate my skin. Also, anything that I use to blot my face while exercising (towel, paper towels, etc.) can cause a flare up if there is any scented detergent, fabric softener or anything else on it!

I also have to wash my face immediately before and after I exercise. Since the sulfur soap is very drying, I need to use a gentler cleanser at these washes. I recently tried black soap, which is derived from the skin of plantains. So far it seems to be working well but it is a bit soon to tell. This soap is very affordable...a 32 oz. bottle was $8! The bottle is so huge, it will probably last for 5 or 10 years!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 08:04 AM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
Paula only recently came out with her Clear acne system and I've been using her products since the beginning. I use the One Step Face Cleanser for normal to oily skin, the 2% BHA Gel and the Clear Extra Strength Acne Treatment which is identical to the Extra Strength Blemish Fighting Solution that she already had in her line, but with different packaging as someone already mentioned. In the morning, I use the Skin Balancing Daily Mattifying Lotion SPF 15 and at night I don't usually use moisturizer, but sometimes in the winter I use the Skin Balancing Moisture Gel around my eyes.
I questioned a rep about this asking what was the difference between the 2% BHA Liquid and the one that comes in the new acne kit and it's just being marketed and are almost the same b/c people with acne don't realize how well her products work or something to that effect. I used the products before she came out with the acne system and had amazing results.
Old 03-31-10, 08:13 AM  
counterclockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget Queen View Post
I have VERY BAD cystic acne, probably much worse than anything you guys have. But I wanted to point out something about the Retin-A. I read recently that if you are heavily breaking out, it can actually lead to permanent scarring, either hyperpigmentation or pitting. My SO confirmed that by saying that many years ago, when he was put on Accutane, his doctor did not allow him to use Retin-A until 6 months after he started his first round to make sure he wasn't actively breaking out. He had completely forgotten this, because he never said a word to me as I started the Retin-A and then started getting the deep scars. I NEVER would have put the two things together!

I had quit Retin-A before I found this out, but I had been on it for two years, and I realized that I had never scarred in my 10-year battle with acne until I started the Retin-A. Now my face is completely pitted and blotchy and $5000 in procedures later, nothing has changed. Anyway, for the sake of being completely melodramatic, it has devastated me and basically ruined my life, and i wanted to make sure others were aware of this (even if doctors seem to have nothing to say about it).

It is supposed to help with scarring, in the long term, but only AFTER you have stopped breaking out. It is also supposed to stop the breakouts, and I guess it doesn't scar everybody. It never stopped any breakout for me and only wreaked havoc on my face.
Fidget, I am so sorry, I can imagine how you feel. I hope there is something out there that can help you. You have me scared, b/c I use Retin A and still break out some (although it's not that bad). Can you point me to where you read this?

Thank you.
counterclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 08:23 AM  
ukjocilyn

I have pretty bad adult acne for 30 and have been using a combination of Duac Gel and Retin-A micro gel. That has worked pretty well for me over the last 3 years, although I still get pretty bad flare-ups around my period. I haven't experienced any scarring, but I do get dry, flaky skin as a result. Also, my skin has gotten so sensitive to the sun, facial waxing, and men with even the slightest bit of stubble on their face.

I go to this website often: http://www.acne.org/ for information on treatments and products. The guy that runs the site is a long-time acne sufferer and has developed his own treatment system. I am afraid to try it because I am pretty happy with what I am doing now, but I see lots of people say they have gotten good results with his system.
ukjocilyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty thread