Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-19, 10:46 AM  
Hilary

Pets Rest in Peace 2019

I have never started an off-topic thread and I hope this is okay, but I noticed there's an ongoing thread for (famous) people, and since there are so many pet lovers here, I thought it might be comforting to have a pet RIP thread.

We just lost our almost-13-year-old cat Noah last week, and it has been tough. He's our ninth family cat, so of course, the whole process has become familiar but it's still difficult to process and I miss him a lot, especially when my photo display randomly shows pictures of him.

He developed jaundice in the beginning of March and the vet said his liver had shut down. He inserted a feeding tube and my husband and I were feeding him liquefied cat food every 2 to 3 hours. This went on for weeks ... initially I was very hopeful he'd get better (the vet told us it was 50/50) but his condition started to deteriorate. He was on a lot of meds which we also had to grind up and put down the tube. Long story short, his condition suddenly went downhill fast one afternoon/evening and he died while we were holding him about 6:30 in the morning, before we could take him to the vet to euthanize him. We have never had a pet that died at home. The vet did an autopsy and found he had liver cancer; the tumor had started to bleed and he was hemorrhaging internally ... that's what caused the sudden decline.

If you have a sick pet, or a recent loss, I hope you'll feel encouraged to post it here if it helps to bring closure. Losing a pet is really like losing a member of the family ... the grief is real, and many people don't understand.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 10:49 AM  
laurajhawk

Hilary, I'm so sorry for your loss. I think this thread is a great idea. Luckily my four furkids are all doing well, but this morning I reposted a Facebook memory from about six years ago of my DH with our Monty cat ... he was such a special cat (passed away in 2017). So I get it! Love to you and your family.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 11:56 AM  
Gams

Thank you for starting this thread.

I lost my little mini doxie a couple weeks ago. Dudley had melanoma in his mouth and lungs. He was doing okay until the tumor in his mouth started taking over both sides of his mouth and he stopped eating. The vet said his jaw was in bad shape as well. Like everyone else, I’ve been through this before, but Dudley was a mama’s boy and he was really scared. At least I was able to hold him through the entire procedure. When I left the vet’s office my boy friend called me and asked me what was wrong. I told him I had just put Dudley down and his response was, “Oh great - now I have another f****** dog to bury.” I was FURIOUS, but I calmly said, “Thank you for your sympathy. It means a lot to me.” And he hung up on me.

A couple weeks ago I got a baby rat as a companion for my adult rat. They were getting along great and then the day before yesterday, I put my hand in the cage to straighten something and my adult rat freaked and bit the baby on the neck and killed him. I’m just sick and feel so guilty and I can’t tell anyone because they all think I’m nuts for having rats as pets as it is. I feel like a terrible pet mom. I’ve had rats for over 20 years and have never had anything like this happen before. I’ve been thinking of going back and getting two of his litter mates and keep them in their own cage. They would probably end up as snake food, so maybe I could make amends by saving the lives of a couple of his brothers.

My sympathy to all those who have or will post in this thread. ❤️
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 12:13 PM  
sbh

Hugs to you all. We lost our Sadie two years ago. It still seems just like yesterday. She was 14. She was my best friend. We took her everywhere we went. It was so hard watching her get old and slowly fade away. I still cry when I think about her.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 12:44 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Hilary, I am very sorry for your loss, and hugs to all that have lost their beloved pets. It hurts.

I lost my beloved 14-year-old cat Ziggy last June to cancer. I am still devastated over his loss as is his 17 year-old uncle Basil (in my avatar). Basil is still looking for Ziggy and ocassionally cries at night, something he's never done before we lost Ziggy. It's been several months and I still miss my beloved "pumpkin" very much.
Old 04-12-19, 01:38 PM  
laurajhawk

((( Hugs ))) to everyone and especially to Gams. Gams, that was not your fault at all. All animals can be unpredictable and there's no way you could have predicted that tragedy. I am so sorry that happened.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 01:49 PM  
Hilary

Gams, jaw drop on your boyfriend's reaction!

And, yes, guilt is almost inevitable. When our Jake died three years ago, I felt I should have noticed his weight loss sooner ... and that I should have had the vet do exploratory surgery sooner (by the time he did, he discovered a tumor that had perforated his intestine ... causing him a lot of pain).

With the current scenario, we got a new puppy in January. Inevitably, we were focusing most of our attention on him and the three cats got shortchanged. I feel like I should have noticed that Noah had stopped eating sooner. I guess that's why the autopsy was semi-reassuring. Ultimately, I guess, there's not much we could have done. But I still feel like I neglected Noah until he got sick. I'm trying to give the two remaining cats more attention now.
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-19, 01:58 PM  
sugar rose

My heart goes out to all who have lost beloved pets. It’s heartbreaking. Hugs and sympathy to all.♥️

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

William Shakespeare, Hamlet
sugar rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 07:45 AM  
Weezie69

Hugs to all of you.
2 years ago I lost my "bighead". He was a pitmix that was white with one blue eye and one brown. He was my buddy. He was diagnosed on a Thursday with cancer and by that following Tuesday I had to put him down. That was the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but I knew it was the right thing to do. I still cry when I look at his pics. I miss him terribly. They are our fur babies and that is family.

Thank you for the thread.
-PS - along with a new pet, maybe you should look into a new boyfriend. Very incentive reaction.
Weezie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 08:31 AM  
leigh1673

So sorry for everybody's loss! It's so hard to lose a pet. We lost both our senior cat(heart disease) and dog (cancer) within a week of each other in January of 2018 and it was devastating, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Thank you for starting this thread.

I lost my little mini doxie a couple weeks ago. Dudley had melanoma in his mouth and lungs. He was doing okay until the tumor in his mouth started taking over both sides of his mouth and he stopped eating. The vet said his jaw was in bad shape as well. Like everyone else, I’ve been through this before, but Dudley was a mama’s boy and he was really scared. At least I was able to hold him through the entire procedure. When I left the vet’s office my boy friend called me and asked me what was wrong. I told him I had just put Dudley down and his response was, “Oh great - now I have another f****** dog to bury.” I was FURIOUS, but I calmly said, “Thank you for your sympathy. It means a lot to me.” And he hung up on me.

A couple weeks ago I got a baby rat as a companion for my adult rat. They were getting along great and then the day before yesterday, I put my hand in the cage to straighten something and my adult rat freaked and bit the baby on the neck and killed him. I’m just sick and feel so guilty and I can’t tell anyone because they all think I’m nuts for having rats as pets as it is. I feel like a terrible pet mom. I’ve had rats for over 20 years and have never had anything like this happen before. I’ve been thinking of going back and getting two of his litter mates and keep them in their own cage. They would probably end up as snake food, so maybe I could make amends by saving the lives of a couple of his brothers.

My sympathy to all those who have or will post in this thread. ❤️
Wow. I hope he is now your EX-boyfriend.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote