Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-19, 01:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

are you in a "second career?"

so I just rolled off a 2 year project*, back at my home base department. i'm vested and trying to contemplate my next move. youngest is a jr in high school, and I have 2 older kids in college, hopefully finishing in 2 years. I have transferrable skills and have set up an account with the federal job website.

*it's so nice to be rolled off that huge project.

if you're in a second career, did you stay in the same industry? did you do the same work? how did you decide on what to do for your second act?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 01:29 PM  
Demeris

I retired from my main career six years ago. I had established a small consultancy related to my career in 1994, which I worked at on weekends and during my vacation time. In retirement I still continue with that consultancy. I earn enough to worry about forfeiting some of my social security income (I turn 62 this year and, after extensive research, have decided to take SS now instead of waiting until full retirement age).

I am also trying to learn how to write cozy mysteries. My dream is to write one or two a year. I know I can't get rich from this, but it would be nice if I could cover the costs of my expenses. It would be nice if my readership were larger than my family and friends, too.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 02:13 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

I'm not, and I'm posting because while I've considered it on and off, I've realized that a) I have a good gig right now, and b) the time just isn't right. I've been at the same company mostly in the same position for over 15 years and have worked full-time from home since 2007.

I always told myself that when my kids were older, I'd look for something new. They're 9 and 7 now and DH works overnights. I've looked at positions outside the company, and when supervisor of 10 years recently resigned, considered her position. All the looking made me realize I do still have a really good gig, and my kids still aren't old enough to be left home alone (the supervisor's position involves lots of travel).

So for now, I'm staying here. I think I can envision making a change when they're older, and you're at that point. I'm excited for you!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 04:22 PM  
BunnyHop

I need to find one, but I've no idea what to do next.

Was a caregiver to an elderly parent for way too long and am really out of the loop.

The world has changed so much I'm just not sure what to think.
Old 03-07-19, 05:23 PM  
Vantreesta

I recently left my job of 11 years. I have done billing for mental health centers for most of the past 20 years. I love billing bc it satisfies my personality but I would like to find the courage to pursue my passions of fitness and dogs and either become a personal trainer or do smthg with dogs. I love the idea of fitness training for people WITH their dogs, but I'm not willing to move to a big city to find a client base!

Good luck to you!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 06:08 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Retired from a 37-year marketing career at a Fortune 100 company in 2011. Took a part-time marketing job at a small company 3 miles from home until mid-2014. Loved it! 20 hours a week - any 20 I wanted to work. Plus, they thought I was a marketing genius because I had routinely done things in my career they had never heard of and could do for them. . Great people. I was a big fish in a little pond versus a small fish in a huge pond.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 06:14 PM  
hotncmom

I was at home with my kids for about 15 years, and during the last few years at home, I started a business, but couldn't sustain it. I was spending much of my time marketing to try and get clients, and all that time was unpaid. Between time for continuing education, administrative stuff, and marketing, I spent thousands of hours working and not getting paid. Any money I did make, I paid 50% in taxes after federal, state and self-employment taxes. It wasn't worth it.

I returned to my old career about a year and a half ago, and it has been the best decision. I work for a great company and I have an interesting job. I also really enjoy being around people again after so many years at home alone.

The ironic thing is one of the reasons I started the business was because at my age and after so many years out of the workforce, I was afraid no one would want to hire me. Turns out, I seriously underestimated myself (because I'm kicking butt at my new job) and the job market in my area. I got a great job offer within 2 weeks of the day I sent out my first resume.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 06:34 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

14 months ago, we moved from DC to Raleigh, NC when DH retired from the federal government. He hasn't been able to work since due to health issues. When we moved, I brought my job with me and did it remotely. They couldn't pay me to work full-time, so I worked 4 days a week. I got used to working less than full time IMMEDIATELY, so that's what I wanted in a new job, part-time work.

I just accepted a job and will start it in April in the continuing ed department of a local community college. Instead of working in a corporate environment doing training and instructional design (creating classes), I will be working 24 hours a week at this college putting together and implementing classes. They will also work me so I can get the certification I need to teach software classes. I hope to do something with them for quite awhile.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 06:36 PM  
maitai

Wow!!! So happy for you. I hope I can do this as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
The ironic thing is one of the reasons I started the business was because at my age and after so many years out of the workforce, I was afraid no one would want to hire me. Turns out, I seriously underestimated myself (because I'm kicking butt at my new job) and the job market in my area. I got a great job offer within 2 weeks of the day I sent out my first resume.
maitai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-19, 07:56 PM  
Gams

I retired early last October. As a widow, I can collect on my husband’s SS so my SS check is $500 a month more than I was making working full time. I have had my fill of rude, nasty people and I have cancer, so I couldn’t see continuing to work full time. Plus, I had a 50-mile drive to work and I couldn’t take the winter driving any more. Now I spend my time looking after my pets, working out and sometimes going to concerts or out dancing to the music of local bands. I’m also hoping to move in the near future so I spend time researching towns that are safe with a reasonable cost of living and don’t get thousands of feet of snow every year.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career, career advice, retirement