Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-29-18, 04:29 PM  
Hilary

Ugh! SO Confused about Playing Digital Stuff on my TV

So DH and I went to a locally-owned TV store today where presumably they know everything. We were considering replacing our 11-year old HD TV with a larger "smart" TV while moving the older TV to another room, and the total package (cables, "soundbar", new DVD player, Roku, two universal remotes, plus installation) was a bit mind-boggling. We're okay with the cost IF our lives are appreciably enriched but now I'm second-guessing.

Right now, I'm playing digital files and stuff from YouTube and Purple Player by hooking up my second-hand Mac via the HDMI cable from our TV. To me, this isn't particularly convenient, especially if I want to pause or rewind or jump from chapter to chapter (something which is just super-simple when I use my DVDs and remote). I asked the salesman about this, and he told me that this is STILL the "best way" to play digital content. Is this really true? Is there no way to control your digital content (in terms of chapters, pausing, etc.) through some sort of remote?? And I understand that Roku can handle content on YouTube, but what about the files that are now downloaded to my computer? The only suggestion he had was to put them on iTunes and use an Apple TV.

Anyone have any input on this? I'm feeling a bit disappointed. I was also hoping this $1,200 Sony TV would have Bluetooth, but apparently it doesn't and I was hoping to use my wireless headset so other people wouldn't be bothered by the sound. Is this something that a good TV should have?
Hilary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-18, 08:59 PM  
Leela
VF Supporter

Many TVs don’t have Bluetooth for headphone use. Tvs might have receivers where They receive Bluetooth but they aren’t usually transmitters. Headphones are receivers too.

You could stick with what you have and buy an Apple TV which had the YouTube app. Your Mac can talk to the Apple TV using AirPlay. Cathe , les mills and beach body on demand and daily burn also hAve Apple TV apps so you don’t need to stream from a computer or a phone to use YouTube , Cathe, etc
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-18, 10:13 PM  
Lannette

FYI: We have two smart TVs. I only play some Vimeo purchases through an amazon Fire Stick on one and even that is almost too much trouble. Our larger TV is having issues and we most likely won’t be going “smart” as it’s not worth the extra $$$ to us.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-18, 11:09 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

I've found the same thing about the ability to control the video i.e. skip forward/backward. I have Roku, and I can pause. I can fast forward/backward but not skip chapter(s). I use the app (Cathe, Les Mills, etc) and Roku remote.

As far as digital files, I hook up an external hard drive to my blue ray USB port. I play via blue ray player... So I use the blue ray remote. I can't skip chapters, but I can ff and rewind.
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-18, 12:24 AM  
bjones

So this advice is for your digital downloads on your Mac: Since you are in the Apple ecosystem with your mac the best option is to buy apple tv and plug into an hdmi port on any TV and connect it to your home wifi. You then put your mac videos into itunes, then stream it from an iphone instead of your mac. The iphone can be the remote as it is nice and small. It will have all the controls on it that itunes has in its software, like pause, rewind, chapter skip, etc. (However the screen will time out quickly so don't set a password on it so you can quickly hit the button to turn it back on.) You can use wireless apple airpods or any bluetooth headphone paired with the iphone that could also be a solution for that issue you mentioned.

If I have something wrong there, I hope others on the forum correct me.

As for smart TV's, I've found that using a Roku actually works better. The built in apps on smart TVs are always trying to update and half the time they don't even work. This is on a Samsung. I like using the Roku remote and its now voice searchable. You can plug headphones into the remote also which is a nice feature. As someone mentioned the top streaming sites do have apps for the Roku as well as Apple TV. So you can use your roku remote when playing say a Cathe ON Demand video like a DVD remote. And you can buy the newest model of Roku every 2 years or so to get the latest streaming technology without having to buy a new smart TV every 2 years for that purpose. You still probably will get a smart TV for your new one just because they are the highest quality of video anyway. But for streaming, I'd use Roku instead of the built ins. Yes, streaming is sometimes glitchy though. You just can't beat a DVD and a DVD player for reliability and simplicity.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-18, 06:48 AM  
Tugger31

This is why I love my dvds, lol! Maybe I'll stockpile a few dvd players before they're obsolete! I can't even bring myself to buy a new phone either b/c all the "stuff" isn't worth it to me. I'm sure I'll be forced to "upgrade" at some point, sigh.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-18, 07:28 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
This is why I love my dvds, lol! Maybe I'll stockpile a few dvd players before they're obsolete! I can't even bring myself to buy a new phone either b/c all the "stuff" isn't worth it to me. I'm sure I'll be forced to "upgrade" at some point, sigh.
I am with you! We have an Amazon Fire Stick on the tv in our family room. Through there, I can easily get apps for Les Mills on Demand, Beachbody
( have not tried that yet) and Cathe on demand (have not tried that either) and I can stream you tube. We keep television sets until they literally die. They have a ton of other apps I have not tried yet. We have a Sony Bravia HDTV and a Sony bluray in there that also plays dvds. I don't want to get frustrated with trying to hook up laptops to the tv, and I am about the last person without a smartphone . I think we had bought two different HDMI cords that did not work. I just want my workout to appear ready to be used and go!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-18, 10:39 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
So DH and I went to a locally-owned TV store today where presumably they know everything. We were considering replacing our 11-year old HD TV with a larger "smart" TV while moving the older TV to another room, and the total package (cables, "soundbar", new DVD player, Roku, two universal remotes, plus installation) was a bit mind-boggling. We're okay with the cost IF our lives are appreciably enriched but now I'm second-guessing.

Right now, I'm playing digital files and stuff from YouTube and Purple Player by hooking up my second-hand Mac via the HDMI cable from our TV. To me, this isn't particularly convenient, especially if I want to pause or rewind or jump from chapter to chapter (something which is just super-simple when I use my DVDs and remote). I asked the salesman about this, and he told me that this is STILL the "best way" to play digital content. Is this really true? Is there no way to control your digital content (in terms of chapters, pausing, etc.) through some sort of remote?? And I understand that Roku can handle content on YouTube, but what about the files that are now downloaded to my computer? The only suggestion he had was to put them on iTunes and use an Apple TV.

Anyone have any input on this? I'm feeling a bit disappointed. I was also hoping this $1,200 Sony TV would have Bluetooth, but apparently it doesn't and I was hoping to use my wireless headset so other people wouldn't be bothered by the sound. Is this something that a good TV should have?
What kind of Roku do you have? If it has a USB outlet, you can store your downloaded files on a flash drive, plug it in and watch through the Roku. Or your TV may have a USB socket. My parents have an older Sony HDTV and I used to store photos and videos on a flash drive and view them on the TV.

Roku's Youtube app works fine also for watching Youtube. They used to have an Apple TV box that they tried to use for Youtube, but it was slow and kept dropping the internet connection. Apple and Google/Youtube are rivals that don't play very well together. My dad just got a Roku Ultra that has a voice activated remote with a headphone jack, and he likes it very much.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-18, 11:43 AM  
ilovemygreatdane

I am barely literate with computer, streaming, etc. we have both the Apple and Roku for streaming. I like the Roku much better. It’s easier to use and works better for streaming.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-18, 01:41 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks for starting this thread. it's not useful to me at the moment, but could be useful in the future. i am amazed at everyone's replies!!

fwiw, my kids watch all of their youtube vids on our TV via their PS4. it's not a smart TV. the PS4 also plays blu-ray and regular DVDs. all of this is controlled via their PS4 game controller.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote