Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-15, 04:13 AM  
topfitmama

I prefer DVDs and downloads. If I can get the DVD at a reasonable price -with shipping to Europe- I would rather do that, just because I like to be able to hold it in my hands, have something to show for my money, and if the workout doesn't suit my needs, I can sell, trade or gift it.
I like to have my workouts stored on my computer because I rarely do a DVD from beginning to end these days, and having to swap dvds half-way through a workout is not fun, however many calories it may burn.

I've purchased streams that I have unlimited access to, but I won't rent streams. Once I pay for something, I want to own it.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 04:21 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinks View Post
Couldn't agree more ...

On that note, there will always be dvds, vhs, cassettes, lps and the players these are played on .. so we will never lose out
And Lord knows, I have enough DVD and VHS content to last me the rest of my life!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 05:40 AM  
pcdoctor01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Paying for streaming is like paying rent to me. When the time is over you have nothing, where if I buy a DVD, even years I can use it (planning to workout with an old YBB this morning for a lite, fun workout) or as someone has mentioned I can also trade or gift it as well.
Yep.
I'm a Gen X and I prefer DVDs.
I want the item in my hand also.
As some have mentioned before, if I don't like the DVD I can resell it.
If the DVD is OOP, I can resell it and make a profit.
I'd rather have a workout that I can download and save vs a streaming workout that I can't but it's DVDs first for me.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 06:24 AM  
horsemom2

Whether streamed and downloadable or dvd to be ripped, I just want digital files that I can edit.
I edit just about every routine I do, removing the moves I do not want to modify or fast forward through and replacing the audio.

There is no perfect workout out there for me, not even a Jessica Smith walk, but the workouts I edit come darn close.
I have enough edited content now to last me for the rest of my life.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 07:46 AM  
Sissy B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
The way I use exercise media simply does not make streaming a cost-effective option for me. Instructors moving to a streaming-only model will simply lose my business.
This goes for me too.
Sissy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 07:50 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm at the tail end of boomers. I prefer DVDs over streaming, although I have begun playing with a Roku box. I do like downloads and being able to make my own DVDs, but it is taking me effort to go through my downloads and organize them so that I know what I have.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 10:49 AM  
jessicavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam View Post
Paying for streaming is like paying rent to me. When the time is over you have nothing, where if I buy a DVD, even years I can use it (planning to workout with an old YBB this morning for a lite, fun workout) or as someone has mentioned I can also trade or gift it as well.
ITA. Plus, using DVDs is a way to avoid monthly gym membership. Obviously, one has a choice on how many DVDs they buy, which could turn out to be more expensive than a gym membership . I sure don't want to pay a monthly membership fee to work out at home. So far, I've done pretty good with all the free streaming content I have tried. On the flip side, I also like the freedom of not having to store DVDs. I can stream and move on or save it if I really like it.
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 02:34 PM  
smilingwolf

I don't think this topic relates to age as much as it does preference. As many people here, who are not quite boomers, still prefer their DVDs. Wanting to stick with something you are familiar with and like is not related to age only.
smilingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-15, 06:02 PM  
Leonana

Thanks for the article, that was really interesting. I'm 55, but I prefer You Tube. I buy Jessica's dvd's because I want to support her, and I don't want to miss out on any of the workouts. However, I don't use my dvd's very often.

However, I always purchase dvd's and not downloads. I don't have a way to access Purple Player on my tv. We don't have a laptop, but a PC in an area that doesn't have room for a workout. I have a Roku on one tv, and Chromecast on the other, and Purple Player doesn't work on either, as far as I know. I would do downloads if you could access them on multiple devices. It just seems ridiculous that I have to buy more than one device to access different streaming.
Old 03-19-15, 06:23 PM  
andtckrtoo

I'm technically a Boomer - at the very very tail end. I don't care how I get my workout, as long as it doesn't hang and I can hear the instructor well. Of course, I'm also in technology, so I have all of the latest gadgets.

One reason I like streaming is because I have ADD when it comes to what I want to do on any given day, and streaming has actually reduced my budget because I don't need to purchase everything just to try it. If I really like it, I will buy the DVD if it's available. And there are always ways to copy and download streaming, so there's that, too...

Tags
boomers, downloadable workouts, downloads, dvds, streaming workouts, vintage vfers