Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-15, 08:26 AM  
Pam

Paying for streaming is like paying rent to me. When the time is over you have nothing, where if I buy a DVD, even years I can use it (planning to workout with an old YBB this morning for a lite, fun workout) or as someone has mentioned I can also trade or gift it as well.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 08:26 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I'm a boomer and I like streaming a lot, but I also have a good internet connection. In fact, since I started streaming my workouts last year, I bought very few dvds and am thinking now of getting rid of about half of my collection. I'm OK with downloads too.
Old 03-18-15, 08:29 AM  
Aquajock

Boomer-DVDphile here

A-Jock
Old 03-18-15, 08:57 AM  
Sollamyn

I'm a boomer and, for the time being, my internet connection is so slow that I can't possibly stream videos. I've figured out how to download YouTube workouts to a thumb drive, however, and then play them on my TV, so that is such a relief. I can now do Jessica Smith YT workouts whenever I want! (Well, I do have to plan ahead to download the videos because I have to use my work computer to download.) But, yeah, I prefer DVDs. Less hassle and I like the chaptering and other variables that DVDs offer over streaming.

Donna
Old 03-18-15, 09:42 AM  
mwelters
VF Supporter

I love my DVDs, is the anytime, anywhere option that I just love. My DH purchased a smart TV for my workout room and it helps with the streaming and YT videos but it does have the occasional hiccups, and picture quality is not great. My room has carpet but when I can I go to our den and the floor is wood so much better for pivoting.
mwelters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 09:59 AM  
Exercise Diva

I have come to really like streaming (love the variety that you can get) though dvds are still my first choice. A good internet connection is a must however. Nothing more frustrating than having buffering issues when you just want to work out.
Exercise Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 09:59 AM  
ddj
VF Supporter

I prefer to have a physical product for the money I spend, especially since streaming really isn't much cheaper, is it? I found it interesting that Jessica Smith said the people who prefer dvds are over 55. I'm close, but not quite there yet.

I'm curious why younger people are more interested in streaming.
Old 03-18-15, 10:13 AM  
dela

Not a boomer, and I want my DVDs!

I hope it does not have to be one or the other, but it seems certain types of instructors with a younger audience in general are more inclined to go the route of streaming only, more profit and it's likely the more popular choice with certain age groups.

The article states $389 million in dvd sales last year, so at least for now, there is incentive to stay in the game.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 10:17 AM  
TinaT

Wonder what streaming will do to companies like Beach Body. I just turned 50 and I have no desire to change from what I know works.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-15, 10:54 AM  
firmaholic

Not a boomer either (will turn 50 next month) and I like a mix of things: dvds, downloads and streaming. I like to stream free workout on youtube. I only have one streaming subscription at a time, as part of me wants a tangible asset for my money. Most streaming is expensive for just renting and music is crappy.
firmaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boomers, downloadable workouts, downloads, dvds, streaming workouts, vintage vfers