Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-15, 12:28 PM  
nynancy

50+ and lifting heavy

Anyone here 50+ and lifting heavy? I'm 52, have never been a heavy lifter, but am intrigued by the bikini body workouts in another thread. Wondering if any women here in my age group have gotten good results with heavier weights. The before and after pics in the bikini body ad are all younger women. TIA.
nynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 01:33 PM  
andtckrtoo

I'm adding heavy weights back in because of my knee. I'm liking the results.

But, I think the most inspirational woman ever in this category is Ernestine Shepherd. She started working out at age 56 and is winning body building awards in her late 70's. She's amazing, and an absolute poster child for heavy lifting.
Old 01-03-15, 01:38 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Cathe turned 50 last year, and hasn't given up lifting

I'm 51 and still lift heavy weights, although I'm more endurance focused nowadays (12-15 rep sets). I think you'll find a lot of 50+ women on here who lift.

There aren't really any sites for us that aren't bodybuilding, although that's starting to change with the popularity of Crossfit. There's one Crossfit page on Facebook called "WOD Women 50+" that I find very inspiring.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 02:20 PM  
sbh

I will be 53 on Monday. I've been alternating ballet workouts and heavy lifting. I like it so far. The ballet work lacks upper body for me, but does wonders for my abs and legs. I've been using KCM for heavy weights.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 04:00 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I'll be 58 this year and I still lift heavy.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 04:10 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I lift heavy-ish; like Sue - in the 12-15 rep range. Maxing out in a 1-3 rep range does nasty things to my beat up body.

[Sue - thanks for the tip about WOD Women 50+. I didn't know it existed. Great inspiration. I've been following Pioneer City CF. I like their WOD scaling - it's kind to my body and I can stick with it.]

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 04:28 PM  
Kellie

I'll be 53 tomorrow and still lift heavy. Just finished a rotation of Daily Burn's Live to Fail program. Basically it's a heavy-weight program that IMHO is one of the best out there. I do try to do metabolic workouts quite often also since I do like that endorphin rush that I get from more cardio-based workouts even when they utilize weights.
Kellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 05:23 PM  
shoegoddess

61 here ( this coming February ) and I've been doing STS and Body Beast for quite awhile. Heavy lifting for me is 14 pound bicep curls 12 pound skullcrushers 45 pound squats 45 pound desdlifts and 40 pound static lunges. I'm trying to improve on lower body poundage but I have wonky knees and lower back so I need to be careful. That's total weight per exercise. That's right now but I'm improving on poundage every week. I started a STS rotation on November. Finished M1 and in December I started rotating M2 with Body Beast Build/ Bulk. Alternating weeks of each. I think my results are pretty good. I workout 6-7 days a week and I set my body fat scale on athlete according to instructions with the scale and my BF % says 20.8 I know they're not super accurate but I'm going with those numbers

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 06:05 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I'm 65 and I still lift heavy - for me. Weight training is my favorite type of exercise so I know I'll always do it as long as I can.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-15, 07:25 PM  
Pam

Hi Karen!

I am also past 50 and also lift heavy, mostly using Cathe's DVDs. I like being strong and be able to doing landscaping (in the mountains that is carrying rocks and logs); the large sacks of dog food up to the 2nd level and whatever else life brings.

Also lifting heavy, I belief if done correctly, is good for your bones and joints, esp as we age.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ernestine shepherd, over 50