Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-14, 08:48 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
... All in all, menopause for me was like getting out of jail.
I've known plenty of people IRL who feel that way.

The end of the monthly roller coaster was a huge relief, on many levels, and for many reasons.
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 09:06 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Not related to menopause but old age.
I suddenly started wanting to wear dresses, skirts and FitFlops. It took me a while to get to this point. Gosh, I love my FitFlops, lol. Comfort first before fashion.

I am having hot flashes for the past 4 weeks now. Yo. All I want to eat is ice cream and pizelles.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 09:24 PM  
Leonana

I didn't have much symptoms with menopause. No hot flashes or loss of sleep. I do feel a little hot when I get stressed, but I never break a sweat. I did gain weight, but then was able to lose it when I changed my eating and started exercising.

I do have a little anxiety, but exercise helps with that. However, I don't know that it's due to menopause, but just general aging and our financial stress that we've had.

But yes, it's awesome to not have a period anymore!
Old 08-09-14, 02:13 AM  
marya

I've been postmenopausal for 10 years. I may be the only woman in the universe to say this, but I honestly miss my periods! Not the horrible ones of perimenopause, of course--I was thankful enough to be done with those. Before peri knocked me for a loop in my mid-40s, though, I was regular as clockwork, and even though my periods lasted a whole week, I felt so creative during that time and during the week that preceded them. I had the most wonderful dreams. I felt melancholy but usually not actually depressed. I relished my cycles of dreams, emotions, and physical change.

Peri was another story...I didn't discover kundalini yoga until I was postmenopausal, but I do believe if I'd done it during peri, I'd have alleviated much of the distress and achieved some measure of balance.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 02:13 AM  
Vee

I have yet to menopause. I am 47.

Exercise and eating in moderation has always been necessary for me, for health and weight management.

Since the past few years, the only change I can see is that they are getting even more important.

I was using being busy as an excuse to slack off from my former healthy lifestyle some months ago and it was distinctly uncomfortable. I had trouble with indigestion (from being sedentary because a brisk walk was enough to resolve any episodes unless I was so lazy I took an antacid and slouched on the couch). I gained weight, my period became erratic (more frequent than once a month) and I started having skin breakouts (I had no zits even at puberty). I started having vague aches and pains.

Getting back to a moderate lifestyle has been magical. I have more energy, the body fat is dropping slowly, I have no digestion issues, my skin is behaving, no aches except DOMS and my period is back on track. It took just a few weeks of cleaning up my act to feel the difference. Even mild hot flashes that I used to experience are gone.

Losing weight seems more difficult than a decade ago, but some of that may have to do with turning from vegetarian to vegan (I eat more grain now) and with not weight training as much as I used to.

So far, I have no issues that I can attribute squarely to menopause versus just aging and being self indulgent.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 07:41 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

This is a very encouraging thread, I just turned 41 so I probably have a ways to go yet. But I am hopeful that menopause is a non event for me, or gives me little trouble. I have noticed some surges of heat lately, not sure if those qualify as hot flashes though.

I have lost over 45 pounds in the past two years and am keeping it off, I am hopeful that I can continue to keep it off during that change. I am good with watching what I eat aside from the occasional splurge meal and so far that has worked for me.

I am just hopeful that I finish my degree before it all starts! Which may be another 3-4 years.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 07:50 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Another one here who had minor disruptions going through menopause and am now happy to be done with the monthly period!!

For me, any ill effects on my physical fitness are more from my life becoming more sedentary and injuries from racing and high-intensity workouts - not because I'm post-menopausal.

-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 07:54 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Something else and it might be TMI; I never took any form of birth control
I'm glad you mentioned this. I've always wanted to do an informal poll, looking for anec-data to see if there might be a connection between birth control pills and menopausal experiences. Did our pre-pill grandmothers have these problems? A friend of mine once suggested that by taking the pill, and suppressing these symptoms over the years, they all come out in menopause.

I really don't know. Just meandering thoughts.
Old 08-09-14, 08:00 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Great thread. I just wanted to join in that it's not really so bad at all. I probably feel better now, at 57, than I have in a very long time. I did gain weight during peri but that was due to poor food choices and too much wine. I lost 45 lbs last year and I am more active than I've been in awhile. I still have some hot flashes, but nothing I can't manage, and they do seem to be less than they were the last couple of years. Even my anxiety seems to have lessened now that I'm post menopausal, though not completely. There is some crepey skin due to age and weight loss last year, but it's really not so noticeable to anyone but me. All in all, I really can't complain at this point. Peri was worse than post, but even that wasn't unbearable. Don't be afraid, you young'uns. You'll be fine, and I actually like it better now than before.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 08:13 AM  
fit44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsy View Post
I'm glad you mentioned this. I've always wanted to do an informal poll, looking for anec-data to see if there might be a connection between birth control pills and menopausal experiences. Did our pre-pill grandmothers have these problems? A friend of mine once suggested that by taking the pill, and suppressing these symptoms over the years, they all come out in menopause.

I really don't know. Just meandering thoughts.
I did not use BC pills until peri-menopause. I went on a low dose BC to treat peri-menopause symptoms at 47, and am now using BHRT. Both gave me relief from mood swings, insomnia, brain fog, weight gain, and extreme fatigue.
fit44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, menopause, middle-aged women, mononucleosis, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause, vintage vfers