Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-14, 02:55 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

I gained weight long before menopause because of thyroid and mitochondrial problems, so that issue is not track-able. Beyond that, no hot flashes. Menopause was a quiet, non-event.

I enjoy the perspective and wisdom of age.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 03:25 PM  
Lexy
VF Supporter

Going on 65 here and I'm starting a new kettlebell rotation.

Never had a period until my early 30s when I wanted to get pregnant. Went to Yale Med. Center every month for checkups, shots, pills and pregnancy test (not in that order) for a year. I was one of the lucky ones who got pregnant with a little help from drugs. The pregnancy also "kick-started" some semblance of a period every few months. You have no idea how delighted I was!

Didn't finish menopause until I was 58. I had a medium hard time with hot flashes because they would come in continual waves for like an hour, but not every day. The excessive bleeding was a problem cuz I was afraid to go anywhere on the 2nd day of my period. My doctor suggested natural progesterone cream from a compounding pharmacy and that was a godsend for a couple years. I still had the same symptoms but to a much lesser degree. I felt great again!

Arthritis is huge in my family and I have replaced body parts and will have to get more. I have skin cancers taken off my body because I lived at the beach in my teens (baby oil & iodine anyone?). I smoked for many years. Heck, I've been a clean addict for almost 30 years. I ache often and forget all kinds of sh*t. Yet I laugh more now than I ever did.

To all the youngins, all I can say is enjoy the ride. If the worst thing that happens to you is going through menopause, you're a very lucky lady.

Don't let menopause or ANY one thing define you. Don't limit yourself with labels. And learn how to be kind to yourself. You're gonna be fine!
Lexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 03:56 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I had weeks of hot flashes, months of hot flashes, and while I was struggling with hot flashes, I had the worst PMS of my life--for about three years, three days before my period I would become suicidal.
I went 11 months without a period, then in June of this year, oops! I was SO DISAPPOINTED I can't tell you. But nothing since June. . . so I've restarted my countdown.

Yes, during those 11 months I had TREMENDOUS numbers of hot flashes and some of the worst PMS-without-a-period ever. . . but it wasn't THAT bad. And now I'm starting into it again. I really don't mind hot flashes that much. I occasionally will get one that is so bad I feel like I'm going to pass out. But those are rare. Mostly it's just the flush of heat, and it passes.

Really, if you're as cold-natured as I am, hot flashes are not necessarily a bad thing. Migraines have ramped up too, which is more of a pain. . . but again, they pass. I want to just go natural and so far I have.

I am hypothyroid and I don't know how that plays in. My doc just upped my dosage of Synthroid again, so we'll see how that affects the menopausal goings-on.

I have to say, the BEST thing is no endometriosis pain!! I am used to having a LOT of pain. . . and it's just GONE. Amazing. I'll definitely take the hot flashes and migraines over endometriosis pain. I feel like overall the positives outweigh the negatives. Here's HOPING that this time I'm really done!! Being without periods is awesome.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 03:57 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I'm 58 years old. Aside from some sleep issues at perimenopause, and a bit of weight gain (both gone now), menopause was a non-event for me.

ITA with Vintage VFer's statement:

"Sure, there are very real issues with peri-menopause and menopause. But, I don't think one can blame ALL ills on menopause. Some of these issues are from just plain getting older. After 50, you are dealing with choices you made all your life. Food choices, activity choices, smoking and drinking choices, sun bathing/tanning booth choices, etc. Some issues are hereditary."

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 04:20 PM  
andtckrtoo

Well, I'll be turning 50 on Monday and I'm smack dab in the middle. I managed to drop 20 pounds, and while I have symptoms, mostly I'm fine. I suffer aches and pains, but that's because I've done some crazy things and I am so very happy I did them. I deal with the aches and pains - I can work with them.

I think another thing for me that makes me not dread turning 50 is that while I'm not in an awesome place in my life (work issues, marriage issues...), I'm at peace with myself in a way that I haven't been in forever. I worry a lot less about what I SHOULD do and do a lot more of what I WANT to do. I've come to peace with the idea that I am pretty awesome just as I am. It taken me a long time to get there, so I'm going to enjoy every minute.

I read several places that 50 is when a woman stops living for everyone else and starts living for herself. Heck yeah, I'm looking forward to the coming decade!
Old 08-08-14, 05:58 PM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Thank you for starting this thread, Alta. It is troubling when I read a post that states that this person has been scared of menopause due to the threads here.
Yes, thank you, Alta! I posted yesterday on the health issues thread that menopause threads here have me scared of what is to come! It's relieving to know it isn't always all that bad.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 06:15 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I gained weight (from 105 to 120) but have lost some (now 107).
The worst part is just in the whoopie department. Next is dry skin. I have resolved that by eating fattier food (which actually helped in losing extra weight as well, go figure).
I love that I don't have my period anymore. It's been more than 5 years since I entered meno.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 07:53 PM  
bfit

I have also stopped having periods entirely for 2-3 years now, and I didn't find the whole process that bad. I kept waiting for it to get really terrible, but it never did. I never had hot flashes during the day. I did have some night sweats, but it wasn't every night, and I could deal with it. The only other thing I had (except for irregular periods of course) was some vaginal dryness, but there are over the counter, non-hormone products to help with that. I didn't gain weight or get moody or any of the other things you hear about. It does vary from person to person, but exercising and having other healthy habits can only help.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 07:56 PM  
Cybersparkle

And just a few more thoughts for our young VFrs

First of all, if you are willing to do facial exercises, you can reduce wrinkles & facial sagging depending on how much you put into it. For results, at least 3xs a week for 20 to 30 minutes. I dont hear a lot about facial exercise on here, but I do it and it works because faces have muscles like any other body part that can be toned & strengthened. No botox, surgery, facial peels. really, no need to suffer unless you want to.

I have always taken the attitude that there is something you can do about health issues, always, always take the initiative. Like most people accept obesity and weight gain as "just a fact of life" while we VFrs at least try and most of us succeed eventually.

I see menopause the same way. Hopefully, you will be blessed with a smooth transition like many have posted on this thread. However, even if you run into difficulty - there are solutions & ways to make it better. If you are willing to put forth effort to find what will help you. Natural creams, doctor HRT, herbs, meditation, yoga, juicing, anti-depressants - you name it. But if you give up & lose hope, you are guaranteed to be a victim of your symptoms.

I think all physical symptoms have a lesson behind them. For me, peri-meno has taught me to take care of myself & forces me to look at why I dont. It is all about me meticulously doing what I should have always been doing. So far, kundalini yoga has been a wonderful blessing that I think will help me greatly with moods, cramps and depression along with less carbs, juicing & art therapy. I am 46.

Good luck young ladies

But if you are a member of VF, you already have a proactive mindset about health & I'm sure you will make the best of it and do just fine
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 08:22 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Well, I will be honest, I would NOT want to go through menopause again. Although I am completely thrilled about not having periods any more.

I did have some unpleasant symptoms--profound fatigue, disturbed sleep, and night sweats mainly--that made me pretty miserable for a while until I found a way to treat them. For me it was bioidentical hormones from a compounding pharmacy.

That said--I kept working and working out, I kept my husband , I kept enjoying life. We traveled, we bought and refurbished a house, and a number of other things during this time.

I started menopause when I was 48, and it took a good 3 years before I felt like "myself" again. I'm now almost-61 (two more weeks) and feel great, exercise almost daily, swim, kayak, paddle, hike and work a demanding job.

I agree about not giving up, there may be some tough times but you can get through them. I don't have any artificial joints although I do have arthritis in my hands and feet. That's age. My skin texture has changed, that's age. But I'm still strong and flexible, and that's what counts.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, menopause, middle-aged women, mononucleosis, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause, vintage vfers