Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-14, 08:01 AM  
BigBadBetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
I forgot to add---diminished eyesight! Even with a magnified mirror, it's sometimes hard to see the black chin hairs when going a'plucking! haha. I don't enjoy having to wear progressive lenses, either.
I always thought it was kind of Mother Nature to take away your near vision as the facial hair and wrinkles start to set in.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:23 AM  
zoegirl

The only changes I can for sure attribute to menopause are belly fat and vaginal dryness. I attribute any changes in skin and eye sight to aging in general. Men have changes in their skin and eye sight, too. Of course, there is some debate as to whether or not there is a male menopause. Just my thoughts on the subject.
zoegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:57 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

OMG, I am so TIRED of sweating, lol. I feel like all I do is sweat, either from working out, running, or hot flashes. I was just talking to a co-worker this morning about it and she's 4 years younger than me and just starting, ugh. I told her I should have completely melted any fat on my body by now.

The extra tire around the middle is annoying. I've just started to lose it with WW, the 21 Day Fix nutrition, and watching my carb intake. The skin stuff is aggravating too, used to have nice taut skin on my legs but now it's starting to look a little "loose" even though the muscle is still there.

I"m so glad I'm not alone though after reading through everyone's symptoms. Oh, and the hair on my arms, legs and arm pits is almost gone. That's the only side affect I'm not going to complain about, lol.

Kathy G
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 08:58 AM  
marmact

HOT FLASHES! I'm only in peri, but they are a b*tch.
Old 07-15-14, 08:59 AM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadBetty View Post
I always thought it was kind of Mother Nature to take away your near vision as the facial hair and wrinkles start to set in.

I'll be 51 next month and my skin has changed a lot in the past year. It happened very quickly. DH and I spend a lot of time at the beach (not laying out anymore but Stand Up paddling, kayaking, biking, walking). We now bring an umbrella for when we do sit but years ago never did.

I've always had dry skin and wonder if that makes a difference. My 74-years old mother' skin looks great. She's always had oily skin but also spent way less time in the sun than I do. It is what it is and I don't let it bother me too much because I enjoy my beach time too much to give it up.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:08 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoegirl View Post
(snip) I attribute any changes in skin and eye sight to aging in general. Men have changes in their skin and eye sight, too. Of course, there is some debate as to whether or not there is a male menopause. Just my thoughts on the subject.
I agree. I am 55 and have yet to say I'm menopausal, although I'm making progress toward that stage of life. However, I've been experiencing gradual changes in skin and eye sight throughout the years. I think I've noticed the changes more in the past 5-8 years, though.

My noticeable perimenopausal symptoms at this point are hot flashes, night sweats, waking much earlier than planned, and mild depression. My hot flashes and night sweats aren't very bad, though. I usually just feel a little flushed for a few seconds at a time, several times during the day and night. And the mild depression could be situational--I'm not happy with my work life or my personal life right now, truth be told. So I can't say with certainly that is it menopause-related. Maybe I'm having my mid-life crisis (brought on by my symptoms) where I am re-evaluating where I am right now and I'm not happy with what I've found out so far.

Donna
Old 07-15-14, 09:24 AM  
cherimac

For me, it's brain fog, night sweats, and the inability to eat like I did in my 30s and maintain my weight. I have lost 20# in the past 10 months, but I have to be very scrupulous about eating well. I'm 49. I do have more joint pain but swithching to barre and minimal impact cardio have helped that tremendously.
Old 07-15-14, 09:32 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
What physical changes did you experience in late perimenopause/menopause? I am somewhere in the middle of this process (my last period was 6 months after the previous period and I have been experiencing irregular cycles for at least a couple of years) and I have lost the level of fitness I used to be able to work at. I feel like I have lost strength and get fatigued easier. In addition, I have cellulite popping up all over my body, even in places I don't tend to store fat. I am also finding it extremely difficult to lose the extra weight I've gained over the last year.

Is this pretty typical with the hormone changes that go along with this time of life? Is there something I can do about it?

Thanks!
I've had all of these things, as well as trouble sleeping at night. I had night sweats (so bad, I had to sleep on the bare floor, no blanket) plus heightened anxiety (any little creak in the house at 3 am would wake me right up, convinced someone was breaking in).

I haven't had any hair or skin problems, though. If anything, my hair feels thicker.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 09:54 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

My abs are thicker so those are still work in progress.
Suddenly, glorious wrinkles etch my face.
Hot flashes.
There's also something related to an intimate thing which I fondly call whoopie pie. My check-in buddies will know what that means .
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-14, 10:00 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I'm just curious about the crepey skin...Have any of you been able to diminish this with collagen supplementation or gelatin? I only ask because I am about to start supplementing with collagen in an effort to keep my skin tight while I am losing weight. I was wondering if it would work similarly for crepey skin texture?

Tags
aging, bioidentical hormones, facial machines, menopause, peri-menopause, self-esteem, skin care, vaginal dryness, vintage vfers