Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-12-14, 07:59 AM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I find it interesting that some people feel working out is just a normal part of life and others probably never even consider it. As someone else said, other than VFers, I don't know anyone that works out on a regular basis. Wait, one person.
Ditto! I get that "your nuts" look when I tell people I workout out.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 08:00 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
I find it interesting that some people feel working out is just a normal part of life and others probably never even consider it. As someone else said, other than VFers, I don't know anyone that works out on a regular basis. Wait, one person.
Joni, I find the same thing to be true in my life. I have just one friend (my running partner) that works out. And I met her while running, so it's not like we were friends outside of the running/working out world. Everyone else seems to think it's just some odd obsession that I have. For me, it's part of who I am and what I do.
Old 07-12-14, 10:17 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
please share how it managed to go away! and anyone else with that experience!
I have no brilliant answer for you, bzar. I developed some stomach problems around that time and kind of lost interest in food. My stomach is much better now, but I've never felt the same about eating.

Quote:
My friends don't get why I'd go on girl trips to work out (Cathe trips, Firm trips, fitness conferences). That type of stuff just isn't on their radar. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
When I tell folks about going to Fitness conventions (IDEA) their eyes go blank and then glaze over. It's like I said I go up to the Mothership to meet with aliens! ;p

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 10:45 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post

When I tell folks about going to Fitness conventions (IDEA) their eyes go blank and then glaze over. It's like I said I go up to the Mothership to meet with aliens! ;p
Now this made me laugh! I'm going to remember that one!
Old 07-12-14, 11:40 AM  
Judy W.

I'll be 65 in a few months, and workout for my health, physical and especially mental! I just would go nuts without my morning workout.

In fact, I took a bad fall this week (not exercise related), and broke my cheekbone. It knocked down my energy level, but didn't bother anything else too much other than my poor bruised face. I missed 1 full day of working out, and have been doing light workouts every morning since -- Jessica, some Denise, Kathy S., and will probably 'Sweat to the Oldies' tomorrow! I'm getting better, and am slowly refueling my inner furnace.

Until I was well in my 40s, I was morbidly obese. I managed to lose nearly 2/3 of my bodyweight -- almost 200 pounds, and discovered the wonderful world of video workouts during that journey. I obviously found a lot of success using them, and between working out, mindful eating and having wonderful genes, have turned into a fairly healthy senior citizen! I have knee issues, but you don't carry 150+ extra pounds for so many years without some kind of retribution from your body.

So yes, even though I'm a bit battered at the moment, I believe I can truthfully call myself WELL over 55 and in shape!

Thanks to all who have shared your stories.

Judy
Judy W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 12:21 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 12:23 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Judy, I hope you are feeling better soon. It must be so painful. Kudos to you on your weight loss and for your commitment to fitness!

That's when people really think we're nuts - coming back from an injury or illness and we're still exercising at some level or another!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 02:42 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

No selfies here! But I turn 61 next month, and like Joni O, have been exercising since I was a teenager. I, too, gained weight with menopause and lost some but not all of it. The rest seems here to stay, but I'm OK with that.

I exercise for well-being, strength, flexibility and balance, and endurance. I do dance cardio, rebounding, some HIIT, walking/hiking, swimming, kayaking, yoga, and moderate weights. I can't do heavy weights or much upper body-weight work because I have arthritis in my hands and wrists, and holding heavy weights or all fours work causes significant pain.

I'm also a member of our state's Disaster Medical Team and yesterday spent a 12 hour day on my feet, lifting and carrying "patients" on stretchers and climbing in and out of helicopters and trucks, moving equipment etc.

Unlike many of you, I know others who are dedicated exercisers. I have to admit that except for 2 of them, they're all at least 15 years younger than I am.

I did find a sort of selfie I took a couple of weeks ago after I had too much fun doing youtube Zumba routines:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/seafan/14529385614/

Not glam but real.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 02:43 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

All mixed up today. duplicate

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 03:24 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

I posted some pics in the Selfie thread. The bathing suit pics were taken this past Oct. I had turned 56 a month earlier. The next set was on my 54th birthday. I try to take pics on my birthday, because I use them as markers to see how far I have come since my back surgeries.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...200692&page=23
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, inspiration, older, over 50, vintage vfers