Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-14, 03:29 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Pickney Callan
i second Callan Pinckney (Callanetics). her mother (70s at the time) appears in the original 10/10 workout.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-14, 01:06 PM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Thanks bfit for this thread! I will be 51 next month. I still love a good "intense" workout, but not so much high impact. I don't enjoy doing Firm's as much as I once did. I like barre, especially Exhale Core Fusion...I still like some of Jari's workouts (mostly her original ones), and I still do Slim Series a lot. I prefer light weights with higher reps these days. For cardio, I love walking and my elliptical. It is hard to find newer workouts that will work for me. I have not found anything new that I have liked in a long time. Not really....

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-14, 01:46 PM  
Bebop

I'm 54. These days I find myself just using my old favorites. Nothing new appeals to me for some of the reasons you stated.

I love Cathe. I just modify to low. I also love Denise Austin because she is close to my age. I will pull out classic firms and also walk with Leslie.

Joyce Vedral is fun because I haven't caught up to her age yet when she was filming (LOL).

I do love Chalene. I don't let the age of the instructor affect me too much. I do agree on the music. I find the newer workouts turn me off because I'm not into that. Give me some oldie's - but not too old. (LOL)
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-14, 07:10 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I'm 38 and I love a lot of the instructors mentioned in this thread -- indeed, they are the "staples" of my vidiot collection, aside from a wide array of yoga practices. Gilad, Cathe, KCM and Kathy Smith for strength training. Ellen Barrett and Jessica Smith for flowing, low impact, fun cardio. Actually, Jessica Smith for pretty much anything I dabble in kettlebells and it's a heck of a workout. Erin O'Brien's Strong Body, Ageless Body is an amazing use of 45 mins of time!

I use DVDs from Kari Anderson and Karen Voight less often, but won't part with them. I've been a big fan of low impact since I started working out 15 years ago, mostly because I need to keep my knees happy so I'll actually stay on the fitness bandwagon!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-14, 10:56 AM  
acescholar

I'm 57, and although I do love high impact, I mix it up with, among other things, Tonique (which, I know, will not pass the skimpy outfit test lol), Tracy Anderson, Yin the Zone downloads and various weighted stuff.

It's Yin the Zone (clearly on my mind right now!) I wanted to suggest for challenging full body workouts with cardio segments that are mixed or lower impact. She *is* young, and in many of her workouts she too is scantily dressed - but she is fully clothed in 03! She doesn't cue, and there is a sane pace and serene vibe to her workouts. The music is kind of nondescript and can get repetitive, so that might be a deal breaker. Just a suggestion--she has lots of trailers to give you a sense for her style.

Although there are other threads about Yin, here is the link:
https://vimeo.com/yinthezoneexclusive/videos
acescholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-14, 11:11 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I am 58 and just modify any workout I want to do. I've never been an advanced exerciser, so lots of impact has never been my thing anyway.

It does seem that many of the newer workouts are high impact, burpee-fests.

I like the older Cathe workouts, Cory Everson, Leslie Sansone, Margaret RIchard, etc. I enjoy some barre and bellydancing also. I have an elliptical for when the knees are complaining.

I did recently try Kelly Coffey-Meye's new Muscle Up (my first KCM). It is a good, slower-paced, heavy lifting workout. She has an OK personality. The warm-up is useless though. I don't know what she was thinking.

I do my own foam roller/mobility warm-up before most strength workouts. It really makes a big difference at my age.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-14, 11:37 AM  
sbh

I am 52 and my back is 90. Seriously. I like intensity, but I limit impact. I can't follow a rotation because my back dictates what I can do each day. Some days I'm lucky just to take the dog for her daily walk. Other days I do KCM, Jessica Smith, Mary Helen Bower, the occasional Leslie, and some yoga.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, baby boomers, over 50, vintage vfers