Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-14, 08:56 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am 56 and I avoid high impact, but find most workouts with impact are fairly easily modified. I am doing Drop 2 Sizes right now - very doable for me - and hope to move on to Fe Fit or TA after. I used to run, but foot and knee problems put a stop to that so now I walk and rebound. I like to be walking outdoors as much as possible in the nice weather. I love Jessica Smith and Ellen Barrett and have been using their workouts as warm ups before my strength work in D2S. KCM does not agree with my low back, although I really do like her personality. I do a LOT of stretching and yin yoga in the evenings and I feel that really helps with my joint/back issues.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 09:02 PM  
laurajhawk

I'm just over 50 and I'm enjoying Kelly Coffey-Meyer and lots of yoga.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 09:23 PM  
dnna

I am 64, and I am finishing week 8 of Jillian Michaels Body Revolution
I also like:
21 Day Fix
Firm Express
All the Fit Primes and KickButts
all the new Fitness Favorites Release
I still do Firm rotations- like all the BSS series,
like a bunch of PInk firms, too. I did a Barre rotation and can't look at those dvds for a while
I stretch or do a Classical Stretch separate workout daily.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 09:27 PM  
Lauracat
VF Supporter

Andrea Metcalf is good, too, though her dvds are intermediate and not advanced.
Lauracat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 10:59 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
How about Tracy Long? I second the Kelly Coffey-Meyer recommendation - she uses a modifier.

I completely changed the kind of workouts I do because of my aging joints (I'm 57, slouching toward 58), and I never do high impact any more. I changed to barre workouts because my body simply likes them better. Suzanne Bowen, Barre3 and the like are my staples these days.
I third (fifth? Sixth? LOL) the Kelly Coffey-Meyer recommendation. She has something for just about anybody, and her workouts are extremely versatile--as tough or as long as you want to make them. If you haven't tried her, you can get a really good feel for her personality (upbeat, no-nonsense) by watching one of her umpteen clips on her website.

For barre, what about Bar Method? Burr Leonard is in her 60s and looks amazing.

(For the record, I'm inching up on 40 in a couple weeks here, and *I'm* conflicted about instructors who are a lot younger than I am. Happily, there are plenty of amazing fitness pros in "our" demographic!)
Old 06-14-14, 11:10 PM  
suegy3

Kettlebells are tough and provide cardio and strength into one and no impact. There are lot of different instructors to pick from and the backgrounders aren't all super young.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 11:22 PM  
katmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
Kettlebells are tough and provide cardio and strength into one and no impact. There are lot of different instructors to pick from and the backgrounders aren't all super young.
Another vote for kettlebells!
Old 06-15-14, 03:57 AM  
Demeris

I'm 57, and I own a bazillion workout videos. The ones I do regularly are by instructors my age or older:

Teresa Tapp
Burr Leonard
Miranda Esmonde White
Leslie Sansone (I might be a couple of years older than Leslie)
Pickney Callan
Charlene Prickett (for cardio only)

I also do an occasional KCM, but I prefer t-tapp, barre, Callanetics, and classical stretch to anything else, with the odd cardio day thrown in regularly.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-14, 06:36 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

What about Margaret Richard? She is well into her 60's, but her workouts are mainly high rep and lower weight. And they are not easy either. I think she is having a 20% off sale through Monday 6/16. Many consider her boring though, I like her personally and she is what I need some days.

I also like Charlene Prickett, I am enjoying her It Figures DVDs right now some of which are on sale at her website. She is one of my go to's for step nowadays.

Michelle Dozois is good too, her Peak 10 DVDs are too advanced for me but I like her Breakthru series, Your Best Body Circuit and Slim Strong Sculpt. Fat to Firm fast is good too and I like that one for lighter days.

There is always the Firm too, I have lowered my tall box and lowered my weights a little bit and I am really enjoying their stuff again. I recently discovered the Tortoise and Hare and can't believe I haven't tried those workouts before. They are favorites along with the Firm Cardio/Strength pair. I mainly use the middle era Firms but I do like a few of the BSS ones and Total Body Toner and Hi Def Sculpt from the Pink series.

I also like Jari Love's Ripped, one of my all time favorites. Cathe Pyramids is good and I think quite modifiable for anyone.

Some have recommended KCM, I really like her but don't use her weight workouts anymore, some of the moves don't quite agree with me. Her kickbox workout is one of my favorites though. She is a great instructor with a lot of personality.

I am a little surprised that Erin O'Brien hasn't been mentioned, her Strong Body Ageless Body is a good workout. Chris Freytag would be another good choice. Tracie Long is another one.

There is also Gilad too, he is in his 50's I believe.

It may not seem so but there are some choices out there.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-14, 06:41 AM  
Jeanne Marie

I'm 57 and my favorites include:

Illaria's Atletica

Cathe -- Afterburn, Crossfire, Athletic Training, Kickboxing, Burn Sets, Muscle Max, Total Body Trisets, GymStyles, Pure Strength

Bob Harper -- Totally Ripped Core, Total Body Transformation, Ultimate Cardio Body, Pure Burn Super Strength.

I have my old favorites and really don't even think about how old the instructor or particpants are. It's more about me and getting the best workout I can.

Tags
aging, baby boomers, over 50, vintage vfers