Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-14, 07:35 PM  
bfit

does it seem like there's not much available for fit and over 50?

I'm over 50 (more like 55), but I've been exercising for decades and I'm fit for my age. It seems like it's hard to find workouts that are appropriate for my age and my fitness level. I don't want to do a lot of real high impact or do anything that's too hard on the joints, and I don't really enjoy workouts where the participants are all a lot younger than me wearing skimpy clothing and listening to music I'm not familiar with. On the other hand, I do want a good vigorous workout, and it seems like most workouts made for people over 50 are too easy for me. What do other fit and "older" people here like? Just to give you an idea of where I'm at I've disliked almost all of the Crunch workouts I've tried, I definitely disliked Michelle Dozois's Peak 10 workouts, I like Leslie Sansone and Debra Mazda only if I can boost it up with weights, a weighted vest, or jogging, and I do Cathe workouts but I modify to low impact a lot with her.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 07:45 PM  
BunnyHop

Kelly Coffey Meyer is in her early fifties, for what it's worth.

Have you checked out any of her latest workouts?
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 07:50 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

I'm not in that age group yet, but how about Charlene Prickett? Her workouts are certainly intense, but not super high-impact. In some of her later workouts, she is well into her fifties, if not over sixty. Her chatiness in not for everyone, though; I think people either really like her or are really annoyed with the chatter. She hasn't put out anything in a while; I think her most recent workouts are from around 2004 or so.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 07:55 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Kelly Coffey Meyer is in her early fifties, for what it's worth.
Yes! So is Chris Freytag. Both create good, intense workout routines.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 08:06 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I'm 60 and the only over-50 video I own is a Barbara Benagh yoga one. My exercise tastes have changed over the years, but I've never been a fan of high impact so I'm used to choosing well and modifying when needed. High impact on the rebounder works very well for me, though I realize that's not a solution for everyone.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 08:07 PM  
sunday

What about Dove? I have and love all four of her workouts. She is very straight forward, doesn't use crazy music, and the people in her workouts are real students. Dove by now is, I believe, in her 40s. I am 49 and really appreciate her workouts now more than I did several years ago. Any high impact she has can be done low (I do it on a rebounder), and she always has at least one or two low impact modifiers.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 08:16 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

How about Tracy Long? I second the Kelly Coffey-Meyer recommendation - she uses a modifier.

I completely changed the kind of workouts I do because of my aging joints (I'm 57, slouching toward 58), and I never do high impact any more. I changed to barre workouts because my body simply likes them better. Suzanne Bowen, Barre3 and the like are my staples these days.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 08:23 PM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Terri Walsh's ART Method is low impact yet challenging. These workouts are effective and challenging. With ART, I've been to improve my strength and flexibility. The are over 100 workouts available on her virtual studio - it's a great deal for the $6.99 monthly subscription.
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 08:44 PM  
poohpeggy

I like Cathe's X-Train series. (I am 54 yrs old).
poohpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-14, 08:46 PM  
PhyllisG

I am over 60 and don't really pay attention to age. I don't mind a younger instructor or younger background exercisers. I think I prefer them. Age has really not changed my preferences very much except for no more high impact. I always find workouts for older exercisers too easy.
I love LMP, 21 Day Fit, Fe Fit, P57, Cathe's strength workouts, Ellen Barrett and there are probably more but these come first to mind. UY also. Michele Carmichael's Fuel series is a favorite.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, baby boomers, over 50, vintage vfers