Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-14, 01:24 PM  
marmact

I've been lucky, I guess. I've had mostly really good trading experiences. I did have a bit of a kerfuffle recently, but that was due to me trading a set without paying that much attention to it--luckily my trading partner was not too upset, but I would have done whatever was necessary to make it right (which I guess isn't always the case).

I will say that I've received some ridiculous trade requests at times, and I can understand why someone might not be bothered to respond. I think people sometimes just don't know how to turn down a trade diplomatically. Of course, on the other end, I've had trades turned down by people who act like their *used* DVDs are the crown jewels, so I guess I can see both ends of that.

There are some people I won't trade with just due to the complexity of their trading list, or the long list of rules and requirements they have for trading--I'm sure it's derived from some bad experience, but I think they don't realize how offputting it can be to others.
Old 06-05-14, 01:28 PM  
hdw
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
I've had quite a few not respond to my trade requests. I also have received severely scratched dvds without being told upfront about their condition. Some wait until they receive their end of the trade before sending out their dvds too. Times are a changing!
Yes, I've had this happened to me too. And the trader was somebody active on the board! No good explanation was given to me. Trading is a risk. Both parties agree to take the risk when the trade was arranged. Somehow one person decides she's less of a risk just because she's an active member?
hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 01:32 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
Some wait until they receive their end of the trade before sending out their dvds too. Times are a changing!
That one just blows my mind, that they would hold theirs after agreeing to send it out.

Quote:
But then I've also had several people PM me and say they just got the dvd I sent on that day but tracking indicated it had arrived a couple of days before. That one still confuses me.
I've seen a lot of comments about the imprecision of post office tracking that I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. I've seen comments that packages have been marked when they are at the post office, not when they have been delivered, enough to wonder if that's the case. Personally, I pay no attention to tracking issues, so I wouldn't know personally.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 01:41 PM  
Rhonda

I have had a lot of trade where the recipient doesn't every tell me they got the DVD. I figure, well they haven't complained about not getting it so I guess they have received it.

I usually tell my trading partner up front that I won't be able to get to the PO for a few days and noone has ever complained.

Drives me nuts though when there is no response either for a request sent or telling me they got the DVD. I actually have sent two one at the end mid-may and the other almost two weeks ago and haven't heard if they got them. I am guessing they did. I guess no news is good news.

I will still trade as I enjoy it.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 02:28 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmact View Post
I will say that I've received some ridiculous trade requests at times, and I can understand why someone might not be bothered to respond. I think people sometimes just don't know how to turn down a trade diplomatically. Of course, on the other end, I've had trades turned down by people who act like their *used* DVDs are the crown jewels, so I guess I can see both ends of that.
I don't agree. I mean, what seems like a ridiculous request in one person's mind might not seem ridiculous at all to someone else. Some people go by how long a workout is, some go by how many disks in a set, some go by how much it cost them initially to buy, the rarity of the dvd, how high in demand it is, etc. Okay, so offering a pink Firm in exchange for a Beachbody set MIGHT be the exception, but there is no harm in trying. Some of my best trades have been for stuff not even on my list.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 02:33 PM  
shoegoddess

The hold the "trade till I get mine" happened to me once. I always send the trade out either the same day or at least the next. I tracked the trade and it was obvious the other person got it and then sent me the DVD they were trading. Pretty tacky. I have to admit I've had mostly good experiences trading. I have received scratched DVDs with out prior heads up. That's tacky too. But I have been amazed at mostly getting close to pristine DVDs in most of my trades. Shows how we at VF feel about those precious little discs

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 02:38 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

It is amazing how one epically bad trade can ruin you forever on trading. I used to love trading but after a particularly bad experience I've been extremely gun shy. I really doubt I'll ever trade again, although I may put up a SASE list sometime soon. I have so many dvds I really need to get rid of and I know they would go to a good home with VF members.
Old 06-05-14, 02:57 PM  
dnna

well, you can say "ridiculous requests" or you can say downright gouging. which I will not agreed to- I offered someone 9 dvds for sase, then the person requested 14 more from my list. I also got requests for multiple dvd-r that were "worthless" that I paid 20 dollars apiece for on Amazon.
If you post a big list, you will have people looking to take as much as they can.
I have not traded very much anymore after these experiences but I don't see a lot of activity on the board really, same old lists being reposted and people looking for "gifts"
not for me anymore, if I see someone I respect and have traded with - then I might. but I really think about it now when I used to be kind of naive and overly generous.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 03:01 PM  
afirmrose

Please everyone. We need to remember that we do not know what that person is going through at the time of the trade offer. I try and answer all of my trade offers but am guilty on occasion about not reposing right away due to unforeseen circumstances that were out of my control.

I recently had a trade offer that I have yet to respond to due to I needed to think on if for a day. Then I lost my internet service. Once I finally got it back I had a phone call that my grandmother passed away.

We need to remember life gets in the way and be patient and understanding.

May be send them a reminder PM.

-----------------------------------------------
"Oxygen is free. Breath it in!" Jennifer Galardi DOTI Hip Hop Party

"A 30-minute workout is just 2% of your day. No excuses." Clubz

Lisa Shaffer 2013 10,000 Kettlebell Swing challenge completed.
afirmrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-14, 03:01 PM  
dnna

and I just want to add- I have sent out multiple sase at once so I don't have to go to the post office more than once -and have said to the sase requesters -send me the stamps when you can, when you get it, thanks - well the last two dvds I sent to one person - she never had the "time" to send me the stamps I guess. so you get two free dvds, no postage no thank you. done with sase. they go to Goodwill now.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trade courtesy, vf exchange, vintage vfers