Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-13, 07:14 PM  
KellyMarie65

I agree and there are other sources that do believe it is much safer. I recommend that everyone do their own research and make the best decision for themselves.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 07:15 PM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Also, BHRT doesn't work for everyone. It was a nightmare for me. So, we need to make sure we do what works for us for sure.
Absolutely, everyone do their own research and do what is best for themselves. That should be a given. I was just sharing that it was a great thing for me and I am grateful it is available.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 07:23 PM  
cecififi

I'm with KellyMarie on this one. There is plenty of research to support the use of BHRT over traditional HRT. I'd be weary of the source of much of the research we read out there - on anything - especially where big pharmaceutical companies are concerned.

And I agree, our options for peri/menopausal symptom relief depend on many factors, including one's health history, personal preference etc. Tampering with hormones without the help of a trusted health practitioner is usually not recommended.

have a good evening everyone. I'm off to watch coronation street
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 08:08 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMarie65 View Post
Absolutely, everyone do their own research and do what is best for themselves. That should be a given. I was just sharing that it was a great thing for me and I am grateful it is available.
Totally agree. And I'm glad you found something that works for you.
Old 10-02-13, 08:27 PM  
lorajc

Mine started with irregular periods and night sweats which gradually went to having periods every 6 to 8 months with severePMS like symptoms, anxiety, depression, weight gain, and then when my periods stopped I gained even more at became even more emotional and started having horrid hot flashes. I would be at work with literally soaked hair from hot flashes. I am turning 54 next week and I haven't had a period in about 3 years. i wish I was one that didn't have the weight shift but I never had a belly or weighed so much in my life and I'm having a very hard time with this menopause experience. I don't have a very supportive husband either, but at least I have my kitties.

Oh and how could I forget insomnia?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 08:30 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
I hope this isn't a silly question...how do you know you're in peri-menopause? I understand that once you are in menopause, you no longer have a period...but what happens during peri-menopause?
Not a dumb question at all...I just asked my GYN this at my annual this past August! I'm 45, and my problem is that I can't go by my periods since I am on birth control pills--in fact, I take them seasonally (e.g., three months in a row), and so only get periods 4x/year, and when I do, they are practically non-existent.

My GYN basically just said that hot flashes and night sweats would be the first signs, and I haven't had either of those (I'm always cold, LOL!). I have had a small amount of weight shifting as I've gotten older--since I'm more of a pear-shape, my stomach always used to be flat, and although I still have a slimmer torso, I've got the same issue as Cheri with a bit of fat below the belly button area--and I've also been struggling with a little weight gain (about 5 lbs., but my weight had been very stable) over the past 6 months, but those things might not mean anything.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 08:37 PM  
lorajc

Beth I'm surprised your doctor still has you on BC. Mine had me go off mine at around 42 for health reasons because of the risks with clots/strokes and older ages. I also was on mine for endometriosis, but still was suggested to go off them. Yes, I used to be freezing all the time when I was younger. I cnt believe I'm like this now.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 08:42 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Lora, I've asked my GYN a few times about whether I need to go off BC (I've been on since age 19!), but he has told me that with the low dose pill I am on (I've gotten progressively lower over the years) and my health history, there's absolutely no reason to be concerned.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-13, 03:27 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
I hope this isn't a silly question...how do you know you're in peri-menopause? (
You are officially in menopause only after you haven't had a period for a full year.
Perimenopause can begin 10 years before menopause, as your hormones begin to fluctuate.
Lots of the symptoms overlap.
Some women find the symptoms worse in peri than they do after the "pause."
• Unusually heavy, irregular, or long-lasting periods
• Bleeding mid-cycle, when periods had been regular
• Getting your period again after not having had it for 6 months or more
• Difficulty concentrating and/or mood swings
• Unexplained insomnia, sweating, and/or joint or muscle aches at night
• Frequent urination
• Vaginal pain or dryness that does not improve with home treatment
Old 10-03-13, 03:31 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
How do you decide if you need progesterone cream? Any drawbacks to using it? Is this something that you discuss with your doctor? I am nervous about talking to my doctor because I feel like they always want to get me on meds. I prefer not to be on meds and hopefully alleviate some of these symptoms by natural means.
I had a breast thermogram a few years ago and was told to apply directly to the breasts, since my estrogen levels were a bit high. I did my research and what they said confirmed it. I don't use it every single day. I sometimes take breaks from it. I have not noticed any drawbacks - and use Emerita. This is what I read:
Consider progesterone cream for estrogen dominance in breast tissues. If your thermogram shows that you have too much estrogen in your breast tissues, this is a good thing to do.
Apply ¼ to ½ teaspoon of natural progesterone cream directly to your breasts morning and evening. More progesterone is absorbed into breast tissues when it’s applied to them directly, and that’s ultimately where you want most of the progesterone to go. Not all progesterone creams are alike.

Tags
menopause, over 50, peri-menopause, vintage vfers