Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-13, 01:14 PM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
How do you decide if you need progesterone cream? Any drawbacks to using it? Is this something that you discuss with your doctor? I am nervous about talking to my doctor because I feel like they always want to get me on meds. I prefer not to be on meds and hopefully alleviate some of these symptoms by natural means.
I think it depends on your symptoms and how they impact your quality of life. My symptoms were severe enough to affect me 2 weeks out of every month and I really was glad to feel better after beginning the progesterone. It made a large enough difference for me and reduced my symptoms significantly.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 03:15 PM  
Dabbadooey

I'm 54 and still having regular periods. It's crazy. I am having anxiety, depression, and sleep issues. One week I sleep like a baby, the next hardly at all. I also have that wanting to crawl out of my skin feeling.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 05:36 PM  
cecififi

depending on your numbers (estrogen, progesterone and testosterone), you will know if you are in peri-menopause or menopause. getting or not getting your period is not the absolute sign of either phase. peri-menopause can last for years.

your naturopath or doctor can read your numbers and tell you what phase you are in but first, you need detailed blood tests. If you read John Lee's book on menoapause (I've read many and this one made the most sense to me) you can figure out what your main hormonal issue is. although I fit into many categories - kinda - it was clear to me that I was experiencing estrogen dominance based on my symptoms. progesterone cream was also my solution. The cream was a game changer for me in terms of comfort, sleep, ridding of hot flashes,stopping hair fall, anxiety, irritability, night sweats etc. I am not a person who takes meds. I've never even been on the pill! but progesterone is my new best friend. my husband and children agree

i would be all for a peri/menopausal check in for info and experiences. i spent two years figuring things out on my own and feel i struggled unnecessarily by myself.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 06:07 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
How do you decide if you need progesterone cream? Any drawbacks to using it? Is this something that you discuss with your doctor? I am nervous about talking to my doctor because I feel like they always want to get me on meds. I prefer not to be on meds and hopefully alleviate some of these symptoms by natural means.
I would do some research, it was my understanding that the creams can have the same risks as pill hormone replacement.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 06:11 PM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
I would do some research, it was my understanding that the creams can have the same risks as pill hormone replacement.
I was told by my NP that the BHRT does not carry the same risks as traditional hormone replacement therapy. I would not have used traditional HRT. Everyone should do their own research though.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 06:30 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMarie65 View Post
I was told by my NP that the BHRT does not carry the same risks as traditional hormone replacement therapy. I would not have used traditional HRT. Everyone should do their own research though.
Also, BHRT doesn't work for everyone. It was a nightmare for me. So, we need to make sure we do what works for us for sure.
Old 10-02-13, 06:45 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMarie65 View Post
I was told by my NP that the BHRT does not carry the same risks as traditional hormone replacement therapy.
Many sources say that's not necessarily so:

http://www.menopause.org/publication...ormone-therapy

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bio...3/METHOD=print

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Cons.../ucm049311.htm

http://womenshealth.gov/menopause/sy...e-changes.html

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/provider...opause-science

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 07:07 PM  
sunday

My doctor does not recommend BHRT; she says different compounding pharmacies have different controls over their levels of hormones in their products. The oversight is not nearly the same, and she did not feel they were as effective or as safe.

As an anecdote, my mom has been taking HRT for 30 years, and my grandma, who still got hot flashes, was taking them until she passed at 95. It all depends on your OWN personal experience.

I also would NOT experiment with creams on your own. A person has no idea what their levels of anything are without a detailed blood test.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 07:09 PM  
LeanneM

What a great thread! I'm 42 and definitely feel like I'm in perimenpause! I've been having hot flashes and horribly painful periods, as well as some other side effects.

My acupuncturist has helped me get the hot flashes under control, but I think I need to be a bit more aggressive. I read John Lee's book last year and found it helpful, and this past weekend I read a new book by Sara Gottfried called The Hormone Cure that was really helpful. My dermatologist just did some blood work that came back normal, so I'm going to try the pregesterone cream and see if that helps.

FWIW, More magazine just ran an article about how you have to be careful with any hormonal remedies you get from compounding pharmacies. Since they're not regulated by the FDA, what you get can end up being variable in strength.
LeanneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-13, 07:14 PM  
sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneM View Post

FWIW, More magazine just ran an article about how you have to be careful with any hormonal remedies you get from compounding pharmacies. Since they're not regulated by the FDA, what you get can end up being variable in strength.
That is exactly what my doctor told me.

Personally I would not be interested in a peri/menopause checkin because I don't feel like I'm dealing with any issues at all since starting HRT; it's wonderful. My doctor likened taking HRT to sipping amaretto; you get a nice, low dose all the time and stay completely regular. My skin has even improved! But I wish you ladies luck if you do start a checkin.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, over 50, peri-menopause, vintage vfers