Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-14-09, 03:05 PM  
bolieikl
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorianne View Post
Linda, you & Joni aren't able to find a trade?
that's really hard for me to answer. they are so much the same, yet are different.

value wise, I recommend 2007, 2008 series. I still haven't gotten the 2009. I would hope & imagine they are better than previous.
you get alot of variety on these. yes, they are expensive, but they cover so much. every tendon, muscle group, lots of info versus just the other dvds.
more bang for your buck.
if you go through the 4 dvd set, you'll notice body changes. ie; flexibility, toning. huge range of motion.

Sahra, is a better teacher for me personally. she is more quiet, calm & I just like her style better.
her workout is very much like her mothers. I like that it had a class type feel to it. it's more younger, updated.
if you aren't sure, $ wise. I would recommend trying her first. go with the arms, abs tone dvd versus the Flexiibilty for Athletes. more toning & stretching.
the problem with just recommending one/her dvd over the series, is you don't get to fully appreciate the whole concept behind the essentric training.
when I just recommend the one dvd, this is how I was in the past, with thinking this is just "another" Bar Method type workout.
both Sahra's dvds are quite similar. I wouldn't buy both for a first timer. the only reason why I did, is because I have the entire CS collection now.
they are a great addition to it. I do think Sahra will have more of her own. & from what I understand, eventually Miranda is passing the torch.

wish you all lived next door & I could loan mine to you.

Thank you so much for the info and opinion on these. LOL...yep...I wish you lived next door, too, it would be much easier to make up my mind that way!

Linda
bolieikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 03:54 PM  
Edie

Quote:
Terri, fairly equal for lower & upper body. total body worked in all of them.
even if they are geared toward a specific body part, she still works the entire body.
Lorianne - SO INSPIRING! What kind of shape does Miranda's upper body workouts give you? Just toned? Or toned with definition? Also wondering if I'll keep my strength? I've always used heavier weights for strength, as I need it while working on 200 pound men who come in for back pain (I'm an acupuncturist, but do bodywork/massage before needles go in for patients with pain). And I'm tiny - only 5'1" and 102 pounds, so strength is important for my work.

Right now I'm more bulky looking - on a kettlebell/barre with some upper body weights thrown in (and of course some yoga).

Would love to lean out my thighs/butt, but keep some nice lean and defined upper body muscle, and also keep my strength. Is that possible? Or is a bulky muscle the strongest muscle??!! I am naturally thin, not really a pear, but I do have a butt - and build muscle easily.

On another note - the Floor Barre dvds are excellent for toning also - they focus on stretching and contraction at the same time while executing the movements - same concept as Miranda's(?) So maybe these could also be incorporated into a Classical Stretch type rotation. They are not pulsing movements, but more isometric hold/contraction/stretching. I have 5 Floor Barre dvds and mostly use them as add ons or when I'm too tired to stand up and workout but want some toning!

Thanks for sharing your inspiring results!
Edie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 04:00 PM  
TuesdayTaylor
VF Supporter

Just wanted to chime in - I own the Arms & Abs/Legs & Butt dvd. I'd love to acquire more but my pocketbook can't handle it right now. But this title - it's a great place to start. Each workout is 30 minutes and you'll find you can fast-forward through her chatter to get to the exercises - so it will shave off a bit of time.

The workouts appear deceptively simply but yes -they do work. My legs stay toned and arms are toned when I do these simple weight-less exercises.

I can't and won't stick to just one instructor but I know these CS exercise do keep a person toned and flexible. I've also managed to deal with extreme arthritis in my feet and hips because of Miranda.
TuesdayTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 04:33 PM  
megananne

Ok, I'm reading this thread with great interest!!

I'm a total, total workout junkie. I own (or I've tried and traded/sold away) all types - Firm, Cathe, Jari, Jillian, T-tapp, Fluidity, FitPrime, Bar Method, Callanetics, Pilates, all types of yoga...I could go on and on.

I enjoy variety, and I've had different things "work" for me at different times.

I'm 42 now, and suddenly I've got shoulder problems, and just this week one of my knees is suddenly acting up out of nowhere. I had bought the CS 2007 TV dvds a year or so ago and only given them a passing try. They seemed enjoyable in some ways (they felt good), she didn't bug me, but she didn't thrill me as an instructor, and I was too busy with the mentality of "these couldn't possibly do very much beyond helping with flexibility." Since I really enjoy yoga for flexibility, I tucked them away.

Just the other day I brought them out in hoping they would be the trick to do *something* without making my knee pain worse. And then I came on vf to search down recent threads. And lo and behold here I am, fully enabled, 2009 dvds on order .

It's really hard for me to see myself only doing CS + cardio for a long period of time. I really enjoy working with weights. I would also have a hard time giving up yoga - it's become such a part of my daily routine. But right now, with my knee I'm avoiding doing any weight work, at least the kind that would put any stress on my knees. So I may be forced into a trial of sorts anyway

For reference, I'm not a pear shape, but I'm not a total apple either (although I do tend to gain more weight in the middle than anywhere). Basically if I'm in good shape I'm an hour glass with nice muscle tone. If I'm not as good, I look more "applish". I would like to give CS a fair shake to see what it could do for my shape too.

Would any of you CS girls be interested in a check-in?? Maybe we should start one. It could be for anyone doing CS regularly, whether or not they were doing other stuff as well. I'm a really big "catalouger" for lack of a better word...there are so many different workouts on the tv dvds that I like to make notes about what each one includes, what it focuses on, etc... It would be cool to be able to share that info, as well as our RESULTS

"You earned this stretch. Not the cake - just the stretch" JAC in Core Foundations

Last edited by megananne; 05-14-09 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Ugh, I obviously did not proof before posting!!
megananne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 04:42 PM  
sundari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I just followed this link from another thread. I have to say, I'm not sure I can work out with one person stretching in various locations -- on an outdoor patio, with a chair next to a pool, on some type of lounge chair/sofa, on a dock, elsewhere. I'm just not so sure I could get into these after being used to seeing a group of exercisers in one room indoors. I need to see more clips.

I'll need to do a lot more research. I do have one CS DVD that I ordered a short time about but haven't even previewed yet. I think it's the Express Workouts. I'll have to give those a try first.

http://www.classicalstretch.com/
Joni - Now I'm going to have to get that image out of my mind "She looks like Olivia Newton John and sounds like Julia Child (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I love this clip alot better than the other one she had. I wish she would have clips of all her workouts. I don't know why she wouldn't.
Old 05-14-09, 04:47 PM  
hourglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlchello View Post
So which DVDs are people using? I am confused by all the various workouts on the site. If someone wanted to get all of the benefit but had a limited budget, which would be the best to purchase?
I agree with Lorianne’s suggestion, if you can afford a TV series, you would have at least 26 workouts to choose from (2009 has 30). But if that’s still too expensive, I would also recommend the 30 Minute Express Workouts. Three workouts, all good. These, along with Arms & Abs, Legs & Butt (my VERY favorite), are probably my most reached for individual workouts.

Lorianne, your posts have raised more questions for me…
When you do your 1 ˝ hours per day (!!), do you do it all at once, or split it up during the day? I could never do that much exercise. I work 9 hour days, and I’m pretty tired when I get home. Mentally, I couldn’t take it either. You must be superwoman! I got an email recently from CS about a spring “boot camp”, where Miranda recommended 2 hours of CS and a 30 minute walk, but it was only meant for a week. Does she have something else posted on her sight? You mentioned a “3 day rotation”. Is this on her site?
I’m so surprised to hear you say you don’t care for Miranda! I couldn’t do even a 10 minute workout with an instructor I didn’t enjoy! Personally, I find her charming and endearing. She makes me laugh! When I meet them, I’ll be sure to ask Sahra if she’ll be coming out with more DVDs. If so, that would be good news for you!

Joan
hourglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 05:00 PM  
adrien_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by hourglass View Post
Arms & Abs, Legs & Butt (my VERY favorite), are probably my most reached for individual workouts.
Dang! This was one that I wanted to order but passed on this time.

I have it on my wish list at yayas. I can dream, right?
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 05:28 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Miranda's Leg Routine is on Youtube for those who want to try before they order. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WDfB9N4q_E

I think this is from her Arms & Abs/Legs & Butt dvd as I used to have that one and I recognize the routine.

Classical Stretch is on my PBS station on Saturday and Sunday mornings at 6 a.m. I'm going to tape it this weekend. Does anyone know what season PBS is showing right now?

To check if Classical Stretch is on in your area, go to http://www.pbs.org/stationfinder/index.html put in your zip code and when you get to your station do a search for "Classical Stretch" in Search TV Listings.

Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 05:31 PM  
Lorianne

oh, good one Joan! yes, I forgot about the 3 express workout dvd!
LOL, sorry Joan. it's not that I don't like Miranda, she's just dorky to me? or first impression was. I don't think her cueing is great & I don't like it when your doing the workout & she stops in the middle of it, little things. picky, nit-picking stuff.
some mornings I'm grumpy & I don't feel like her chit chat? LOL
I don't find her endearing. she is like Leslie Sansone? I don't find her endearing either. tolerable. I'm sure Miranda is a doll in person. I'd love to meet her.
I get a different impression of her from her book.
but, I have to say I love her, because I owe her the world now.
3 day rotation? nope, I do 3 days of powerwalking & 3 days of CS, at the moment.
like I said before, I mix up CS.
it's not really 1 1/2 hour. 3 segments, roughly 80 minutes, sometimes 90 minutes.
I did this for 3 weeks straight. I wanted to get from 116.5 lbs to 113. which I did.
first thing in the morning. all at once. (the CS) I don't like working out all day.
it's been a gradual progression. sometimes if I don't have the time, I do a hour of CS. depends what dvd I do. like Sahra's. but, if their from the series, I usually do 3 in a row.
dog walking, sometime later in the day. rain or shine.
no super woman. just determined. & compared to jogging or Jari or the Firm, CS is really a peice of cake. not exactly back breaking workouts.
Miranda does have the bootcamp for a week. but, I ate more than 1200 calories. that's too low for me.
Miranda recommends that you only need to do one CS dvd 3 days a week to reap the benefits from CS. even in her book.
I just did what I did, for myself. everybody is different. & we have different schedules, kids, do what's right for you.

Edie, I have very nice definition in my arms. I am strong. my DH says I'm stronger than guys at his work.
I have great shoulders & upper back definition.
I will say, I have an old rotator cuff injury, that I no longer feel. & that I can blame on lifting too heavy with the Firm.
Miranda is a former professional ballerina, so yes, alot of her stuff is from ballet training. she does more essentric contractions versus concentric, so this is where you still build muscles while lengthening/stretching them out.
I can relate with you, I can bulk/build very easily. any extra weight, I start to look dumpy. even if I'm in great shape.
I just like how I look for once in my life. & I finally found a way to acheive it without killing or starving myself.
been there with the kettlebells too. didn't like the looks of my legs. tree stumps.

Meg, I know the feeling. I too, have tried everything & it only "works" for a certain time for me. I either burn out from it, plateau or end up disliking it for some reason. I hope CS will acheive great results for you.
I also know how hard it is to do only one thing.
diehard Firmie for many years. but, it just wasn't working for me, bodywise.
I did not look how I wanted to look.
but, you have to decide what you want. mentally & physically. you can't do something you hate or you won't stick with it. right?
variety is key & I think it is a good point to mention, we do hit different stages in our life & you can't stick to one thing. do something that works & keep tweaking & searching when it doesn't anymore.

TuesdayTaylor hit the nail on the head. some of the moves are deceptive. especially if you do them regularly. you will feel DOMS.

you all are welcome to look at my pictures at Cathe Nation on my CatheMySpace album. excuse the mess on some of the pictures in my album. I have renovation pictures up. my member name is runnerLori
Lorianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-09, 06:34 PM  
hourglass

Thanks for the clarification, Lorianne! Now I get it…alternating days of cardio & CS is a really good idea. You may not be superwoman, but you certainly are very disciplined!
LOL on comparing her to Leslie…I love Les too! I do her walks most mornings.
I’m glad to hear about the rotator cuff injury. Same here, I injured mine shoveling snow. I love Miranda’s shoulder stretches. My shoulder is definitely feeling much better.
Thanks for your posts!

Joan
hourglass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, results, season 5