Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-15, 05:50 PM  
PrairieGem

Question Running shoe sizing?

Does anyone here run *and* do other workouts in the same shoes? How do you decide what size to go with? The running store here advises going a full size larger, but while that works OK for running outside, it feels sloppy and insecure for indoor workouts. (I've worn running shoes for indoor cardio/crosstraining for ages; as long as the lateral support is there, I'm good.)

I have a stack of shoes on the way from Zappos--all New Balance, a brand that fits me really well--but I'm dithering about size. The shoes I ordered are all my size or a *half* size larger... not sure which ones I should go with. It will be easy to test them indoors, but it's hard to judge what will work outside, without committing!

Any tips?
Thanks!!
Old 01-20-15, 06:37 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Can you run on a treadmill so you don't get the soles too dirty, then decide how the fit is? Would keep them looking much better for returns.

A full size larger seems huge. I buy all my crosstrainers half a size larger than my fashion-shoe size, and buy my running shoes half a size larger plus wide width instead of regular width. That's perfect for me. The extra half-size for home workouts gives me a little more room in the toe box so my feet aren't jammed when I lunge or do plyo. With larger AND wider running shoes, I feel like my feet are breathing a little more and not being pinched if they swell.

I do use my running shoes sometimes for a weights or indoor cardio workout, because my PF-prone feet appreciate when I mix up my shoe selection. Never felt like my feet were lost inside the shoes when using my bigger and wider runners doing Cathe, Beachbody, etc.

There are Youtube videos and online articles about proper lacing for fitness activities. If you find a pair that's OK for running but feels loose for indoor stuff, changing up how your shoes are laced might help.
Old 01-20-15, 07:16 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I wear my running shoes for running and all my other workouts. I wear Mizunos and go up a full 2 sizes from my regular shoe size. I wear thick Thorlo socks and it works for me.

If you go to a running shoe specialty store, they will let you "test drive" the shoes and bring them back if they don't work for you.
Old 01-20-15, 09:53 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I go up 1/2 size in running shoes and have a progression for my shoes. New=running and then when they have 400-500 miles on them, they become my workout shoes.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-15, 10:05 PM  
muddjeansgal

Gosh I thought I was the only one using various sizes of shoes. I thought I was crazy. In my home workout shoes I go up a half size and in my running shoes that I wear for working a 12 hour shift in a warehouse, I go up a full size.
muddjeansgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 01:17 AM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy G View Post
I go up 1/2 size in running shoes and have a progression for my shoes. New=running and then when they have 400-500 miles on them, they become my workout shoes.
Kathy, that's exactly why I asked the question! Ideally, I'd semi-retire my current 9.5ws and make them my workout shoes... but they're too big to do that comfortably! And my current workout shoes are well beyond retirement stage, so the new pair has to do double-duty.

The Zappos order arrived just after I posted, and the half-size-up are definitely the most comfortable of the lot--big enough to fit a nice thick Thorlo sock, but not so big they feel like I'm flopping about in clown shoes or poulaines! So that's the sizing taken care of. Alas, I didn't get the *style/model* right; two aren't supportive enough, and one has a strap/seam that cuts right across the sorest spot on my arthritic toe!

...Back to the drawing board.
Old 01-21-15, 02:26 AM  
Yoyogirl72

I wear size 8 dress shoes and 9.5 for running/cross training shoes. The larger size felt like clown shoes initially but anything smaller was too small for my toes.
Yoyogirl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 07:14 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyogirl72 View Post
I wear size 8 dress shoes and 9.5 for running/cross training shoes. The larger size felt like clown shoes initially but anything smaller was too small for my toes.
Yes! I wear a size 8 regular shoes and wear a 10 in my Mizuno running shoes. One thing that it helps is I've never had any issues with my toes. A lot of runners get black toes, or lose toenails. I've never had that happen because my toes have plenty of room!
Old 01-21-15, 10:04 PM  
IrishOT

I go up 1.5 size in my running shoes and have never had a problem with my toes. Initially I thought they would be too big and I would trip over them, but anything else feels too small now. I do wear different shoes 1 size small than my running shoes for my indoor workouts and usually get a minimal type shoe.

Good luck figuring out what will work for you!
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 10:11 PM  
Vantreesta

I had never heard this before. Learn smthg new every day! I have always bought the same size for all my shoes unless reviews say they run smaller or larger than the average shoe.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
running shoes, shoe sizes