Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 01-27-06, 09:44 AM  
janetb
VF Supporter

Functional Training Reference Thread

There are numerous of web sites devoted to functional training, many with some great online articles. Most the interested in FT has been driven by the sports training and rehab field, but exact same principles work just as well in other FT applications – such as fitness and physical therapy.

Anyway, I thought it would be good to create a functional training reference thread for all this great info. I can’t list them all because there are just too many – -I’m actually finding more and more new FT web sites every time I Google for more info.

I will post just a few links today so you can get started learning about FT. I will gradually add links to this thread as my time permits. Of course, if anyone else knows of other good web links for FT, please feel free to add them here.

Janet
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-06, 10:02 AM  
janetb
VF Supporter

Where to get started?

I will post a few introductory links here, listed in order of length and complexity.

Functional Biomechanics By Gary W. Gray:
http://www.performbetter.com/catalog...E_funcbioggray

Ron Jones Functional Training Web Page:
http://www.ronjones.org/Health&Fitne...ning/index.htm

5-Page Book Exerpt from Mike Boyle's Functional Training for Sports:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0736...0D#reader-link
Note: I especially like this link because it explains the whole TLT training philosophy in a nutshell.

And the fully-loaded, NASM's description-
The Essentials of Integrated Training - Part 1 By Mike Clark
http://www.nasm.org/ContinuingEducat...ainingPT1.aspx

I'm sure that's plenty for you guys to get started.

Janet
Old 01-27-06, 10:19 AM  
janetb
VF Supporter

A few comments about the above links:

I know that's a lot of reading material I already listed (and it's really only the tip of the iceburg), but I really encourage everyone doing the TLTs to make the time to delve through this material, if you can stand it. I believe you can still get some fine results with the TLTs just by following along without the comprehension, but they figure to be much more effective if you understand just what you are doing with all these crazy new moves. I know some of it gets very technical, but really try to make an effort to learn some of this terminology. Then you will be able to better grasp the info in all the other great FT articles. If you get confused or have any questions, please just ask me. You know I love talking about this stuff!
Old 01-27-06, 10:38 AM  
janetb
VF Supporter

It's not just the training of muscles...

but also the whole central nervous system (CNS) as well.

One point I haven't discussed yet (that these articles get into), is how FT is not just muscular adaptation to loads, but it's neuromuscular adaptation. There are all these nerve receptors in you muscles and joint tissue that send signals to the brain as your doing these complex integrated moves, which processes and integrates all this input to adapt more efficiently to the functional demands. These nerve signals are very localized within each tissue, so they don't come from the entire muscle as a whole unit. And it's not just about random input from individual muscles, but the firing sequences the brain processes from different muscles during integrated moves are important as well for a proper adaptation response. So the whole concept of "muscle memory" (Mindy mentions it in Slamin Sports Cardio, practicing the moves slow, then fast) is real.

I hope that made some sense! Because this concept is the whole essense of why you should train for functional movements in the manner you use them in real life, not just take a piecemeal approach to targeting muscles individually (like in body-builder strength training).

Janet
Old 01-27-06, 01:02 PM  
ellens2

Janet, thanks for all the links. I just wanted to add that if any of you have digital cables onDemand channel please check out sportskool. Under the fitness area are several beginner and intermediate workouts by Mark Verstegen. Many of these workouts contain alot of the same types of moves contained in the TLT's. He does a detailed explanation of the form required for each as well as have someone perform the move for a particular number of reps. It's a great way for someone whose having trouble with some of the moves in the TLT's to get a better understanding of the form required. Or for someone else who wants to do functional fitness but doesn't want to spend the money could do these workouts. This channel changes the offerings at the end of each month. If you have the channel, the shows are free.
ellens2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-06, 05:24 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Thumbs up Janet, thanks for posting those links!

I recently got back into walking at lunch and, esp. since doing the TLT's, have noticed how involved my whole core is in this activity! Yes, Kathy (Kathy Smith in her Steady Strides and other walking cd's) talks a lot about the core, but this time around I'm really aware how keeping my core engaged helps with the walking.

BTW, I tend to think of core as my whole trunk, from shoulders to butt. IOW everything but my arms, legs and head.
Old 01-27-06, 09:28 PM  
janetb
VF Supporter

ellen2: Thanks for letting us know about Mark Vestagen digital cable show. I didn't know anything about it. I think I have that cable service, so I will check it out. I highly recommend his book Core Performance, it's a great read about functional training for the fitness enthusiast -- like you guys!

He also has a web site: http://www.coreperformance.com/
I haven't spent any time there because I don't want to pay for a membership
(free for a trial one, then $80/year), but it looks like there are some interesting interactive training tools (like fitness and nutrition logs), exercise videoclips, online support, etc. You can click on the virtual tour to see if it appeals to you, but I think you can find a lot of that stuff elsewhere on the net for free/less money.

Lydia: Good for you getting into functional fitness. Yes, walking involves a lot of core demands. Most every activity does, actually.

Janet
Old 01-29-06, 06:53 PM  
Randi
VF Supporter

Thanks for the links, Janet. I've been doing Smart Bell workouts which are designed on these principles, and I'm doing some of the TLTs. These articles really put them into perspective for me. I know the SB workouts improved my tennis game, now I sort of know why
Old 01-29-06, 06:58 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellens2
Janet, thanks for all the links. I just wanted to add that if any of you have digital cables onDemand channel please check out sportskool. Under the fitness area are several beginner and intermediate workouts by Mark Verstegen. Many of these workouts contain alot of the same types of moves contained in the TLT's. He does a detailed explanation of the form required for each as well as have someone perform the move for a particular number of reps. It's a great way for someone whose having trouble with some of the moves in the TLT's to get a better understanding of the form required. Or for someone else who wants to do functional fitness but doesn't want to spend the money could do these workouts. This channel changes the offerings at the end of each month. If you have the channel, the shows are free.
I have Sportskool. Thanks for this recommendation, ellen. I'll check it out for sure.
Old 01-29-06, 07:00 PM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
One point I haven't discussed yet (that these articles get into), is how FT is not just muscular adaptation to loads, but it's neuromuscular adaptation. There are all these nerve receptors in you muscles and joint tissue that send signals to the brain as your doing these complex integrated moves, which processes and integrates all this input to adapt more efficiently to the functional demands. These nerve signals are very localized within each tissue, so they don't come from the entire muscle as a whole unit. And it's not just about random input from individual muscles, but the firing sequences the brain processes from different muscles during integrated moves are important as well for a proper adaptation response. So the whole concept of "muscle memory" (Mindy mentions it in Slamin Sports Cardio, practicing the moves slow, then fast) is real.
Janet
That sounds complicated! I'll definitely peruse those links and report back with questions, Janet. Thanks for posting them. It's good stuff.